Living Luminaries.

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Living Luminaries.

Postby muni » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 pm

muni

Re: Living Luminaries.

Postby Nighthawk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:42 pm

new age mumbo jumbo.... no offense
Nighthawk

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 am

Don't write Eckhart off. He is a man of some attainment and knowledge, although I grant you he wanders pretty far from Dharma as often as not.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby muni » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 am

I listened a part of this.
The traps of language and cultures.

Without the guidance of one who isn't dreaming, on what basis are we rejecting/accepting merely others' words?
'Our interpretations' of scripts must be exactly the same!
muni

Postby Nighthawk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 am

catmoon wrote:Don't write Eckhart off. He is a man of some attainment and knowledge, although I grant you he wanders pretty far from Dharma as often as not.

I'm not writing him off as I wouldn't have discovered Buddhism if it wasn't for him which I appreciate. However, his "staying in the present moment" philosophy that he preaches is more appropriate for a zen monk than a layman living in this dog eat dog world.
Nighthawk

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 pm

catmoon wrote:Don't write Eckhart off. He is a man of some attainment and knowledge.

Now we just have to figure out what attainment that is
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby muni » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Ryoto wrote:
catmoon wrote:Don't write Eckhart off. He is a man of some attainment and knowledge, although I grant you he wanders pretty far from Dharma as often as not.

I'm not writing him off as I wouldn't have discovered Buddhism if it wasn't for him which I appreciate. However, his "staying in the present moment" philosophy that he preaches is more appropriate for a zen monk than a layman living in this dog eat dog world.

Timeless nature, possible?

Only here and now are no mental constructs by habits formed. Future is projection, past is memory. He says something about goals in future which is in fact delusion. In this I see teachings about time in Tibetan Buddhism.

Eckhart in panel of educating heart mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suojNzKZ ... re=related
muni

Postby Jikan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm

If we're praising the contributions of people who aren't Buddhists, I'll submit the following: doesn't have the pop-spiritual gloss of the Tolle video, but it is about learning in an everyday way.

http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on ... ility.html
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby muni » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Jikan wrote:If we're praising the contributions of people who aren't Buddhists, I'll submit the following: doesn't have the pop-spiritual gloss of the Tolle video, but it is about learning in an everyday way.

http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on ... ility.html

Thank you for this. The Dalai Lama is encouraging wider view among each other.
Regarding constructive creativity from vast stillness so espressed, which means not destructive through emotions or discursive thoughts, the "now" has its great importance in Buddhism.
If interested, listen from around 18 minutes on this youtube what Dalai Lama says and Eckhart answer. But in the soccer I am lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suojNzKZ ... re=related
muni

Postby Jikan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I think we absolutely need to listen to each other carefully. It's the only way learning is possible.

"Without Contraries is No Progression."

--W. Blake
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Is he still rolling with Oprah or did the snowball gather enough momentum?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Nosta » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm

I dont like that guy. He is just some guy with new-age-pseudo-buddhist theories.

You can feel a good master if his teachings, acts and way of speech are accordingly to Dharma.
Nosta

Postby muni » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 am

I took these repeating words about NOW in which it is the only way to be "real", aware. He wrote a book about "now" Matthieu Ricard said. Then I tried to listen.

Many are now using Buddhism in their life, studies like the Dalai Lama teaching, meditation investigation... already appears in new study book for young students psychology. Thich Nhat Hanh said something like Christians can be a good Christian and using Buddhist teachings.

But new age, mingling/grasping preferences is not what i mean or should recommend, rather in all these, it is up to us to see clear.

So what?
muni

Postby White Lotus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm

respects to the ''now''. the eternal moment, dynamic emptiness; from the not.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Return to Open Dharma