An Essay about Arahats (Arhats, Arahants, etc.)
by Daniel M. Ingram, Arahat
Here are a number of bogus myths and falsehoods about arahats, each of which violates one of more of the First Principles in addition to simply being untrue:
1. Arahats cannot lie.
2. Arahats cannot have erections or have sex.
3. Arahats would never do drugs or drink.
4. Arahats cannot kill anything ever.
5. Arahats cannot state they are arahats.
6. Arahats must ordain within 7 days of becomming an arahat in the Buddhist order of monks or they will die.
7. Arahats cannot think the thought "I am an arahat."
8. Arahats cannot feel the following emotions: lust, hatred, irritation, restlessness, worry, fear, pride, conceit, desire for the formless realms, desire for the formed realms, or any other "bad" emotion.
9. Arahats cannot like music or dance.
10. Arahats love forests.
11. Arahats cannot have jobs or normal relationships.
12. Arahats do not really exist today.
13. Arahats must work hard to maintain their understanding, and it is this that makes them unable to do so many things.
14. Arahats have not fully realized the Truth of Things, but instead only practioners of certain strains of Tibetan Buddhism can really see through to reality.
Those who go back to the books to find quotes to try to prove me wrong should:
1. Consider that the texts contain numerous contraditions even within themselves.
2. Were written down over hundreds of years from stories recited over hundreds of years by people with diverse backgrounds and levels of understanding, and so contain both truth and falsehood.
3. Get your head out of the books and go get enlightened to a high degree, as not only will that end the debate, it is the thing that all this is about in the first place.........................
I get so many emails from people who say things like, "I'm not really feeling much lust anymore, so I must be enlightened." Wow. I hardly know where to begin except to feel sorry for them.
I really feel like crying that people can listen/read the above ramblings and actually take it seriously. The ending of lust, hate and delusion makes up 90% of the suttas. This guy has to be either
a) A con artist
Without the ORIGINAL teachings Mr Ingram has nothing to base his assertions, having made them he then totally dismisses those very same teachings, to allow Arahants to engage in sex, drugs and rock n roll. Come on people!