Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

krodha

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by krodha »

It's also the type of thing where, as your practice develops you'll actually see a sharp decrease in ailments. You won't get sick. I remember in either "crystal" or "self perfected state" ChNN talked about how they would send accomplished dzogchen practitioners in to aid the sick during outbreaks of disease because they wouldn't fall ill. Having significantly decreased or fully removed duality from experience there's no longer a disease or an individual... All appears as the natural state.

So that also brings into question the inquiry into "material causes"... Are there actual material causes beyond what it is that you truly are? There truly can't be. Hints of this come into play in instances where placebo has just as profound an effect as the "real cure".
florin

Post by florin »

How realistic is to think that one can do retreat in their own home?
Where there is a familiarity with things and easily available distracions...family,tv,computer...etc

To me it looks like the standard approach -even for very serious and old practitioners-is that they go away where the distractions are few and not readily available in a very simple and basic environment
Is that what's preferable?
florin

Post by florin »

asunthatneversets wrote:
A qualified teacher should be able to give some sound advice...

but what types of experiences? Visions? Heat? Energetic movement? Vibrations?

some of it you'll just have to use deductive reasoning etc... like if you're seeing continual spots in your eye it could be cataracts or if you see constant yellow tinges it could be glaucoma, big stuff like if you feel you're losing vision, going blind, things are continually more blurry over time, those are things you need to worry about... but other than that there isn't much else and if you're experiencing visions while doing practices geared toward that... that's what's going on I'm sure.

Same with increased energy movements and heat/vibrations.

Some experiences can be kinda wild! But just stay relaxed and let it happen

remember experiences are usually signs that you're doing something right, but don't become attached to the experience! Take an almost indifferent attitude... when an experience arises that's out of the ordinary just treat it like any other "normal" arising... for example if you see a vision just relax and treat it like seeing a stop light turn from red to green, just a simple appearance.

There's certain texts that can give a rough outline of progress, I think "The Practice Of Dzogchen" by Tulku Thondrup was mentioned on here before... there's a rough outline in the back section

but always remember everyone is different and everyone is going to have different experiences, in some practices there's definitive signs of progress and in some it's really conditional to the individual.

it's sort of the type of thing where you'll definitely know more often than not.
I think lots of experiences can appear due to errors.
And probably what is best in that case is to go back to basics and discount everything has happened so far.
But this decision obviously has to be done based on knowledge and advice from the teacher.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

the upcoming webcast will be Sang & Serkyem practice with Rinpoche from Tashigar South (Argentina)

24 february at 10:00 am [Argentina time: gmt-3:00]
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Sönam wrote:the upcoming webcast will be Sang & Serkyem practice with Rinpoche from Tashigar South (Argentina)

Isn't working :-(
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Sönam wrote:the upcoming webcast will be Sang & Serkyem practice with Rinpoche from Tashigar South (Argentina)

Isn't working :-(
has worked for me ... hope it finally worked for you!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

alpha wrote:How realistic is to think that one can do retreat in their own home?
In my opinion and little experience not very realistic. Unless perhaps you're a disciplined person or have already done secluded personal retreats before. I'm not disciplined, so going to do retreat in a secluded place and being at home was like night and day for me.
To me it looks like the standard approach -even for very serious and old practitioners-is that they go away where the distractions are few and not readily available in a very simple and basic environment
Yes.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Namdrol wrote:...ChNN likes advertising very much. I remember when I was president of Gakyil at Tsegyalgar, I said we must advertise transmission days. People said, oh no, ChNN wont' like that. So I wrote him, and he loved the idea. After that, membership in DC exploded.
Pero wrote:Haha yes, he likes advertising in the sense of giving out information but he said he doesn't like "publicity". Perhaps there's a thin line between them. Magnus's thought crossed my mind too, but then I thought it's better to have one thread and everything in it instead of multiple ones.
Without me speculating yet on why or why not it would be a good idea to make a flyer promoting the Dzogchen Community of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche...; is it, if done right, a good idea to do this as Karma Yoga? Posting said flyers on community-boards at coffee shops and Universities and such. And even put a disclaimer in small print on the flyers that mentions that it is an unofficial flyer, and that Dzogchen Community is a non-profit organization.

About doing retreats at home:

The way I look at it, if some people can work their job or jobs 60 to 70 hours a week, then we should be able to find a way to do a retreat at home even if we ourselves are working a job 30 to 40 hours a week. Not that an ordinary job is comparable to a Dharma retreat; I'm just talking time-wise. And like Pero said, a lot of discipline. You also have to make sure that you have your practice(s) straight so that you don't realize one day that your practice is lacking a certain element, which causes you to have to stop your retreat in order to go find the right text, or find the right individual(s) in order to ask them a question, etc. I'm quite "thorough", so I don't want to do only one practice during a retreat. I've got to make sure that this body stays limber and fit for sitting hours at a time, so am going to add Yantra Yoga; and always start each session with a thorough Tun, even if only a thorough short Thun, etc. Of course if we have the means to take time off from our job, then it's much better to visit a retreat center.
florin

Post by florin »

Pero wrote:
alpha wrote:How realistic is to think that one can do retreat in their own home?
In my opinion and little experience not very realistic. Unless perhaps you're a disciplined person or have already done secluded personal retreats before. I'm not disciplined, so going to do retreat in a secluded place and being at home was like night and day for me.
Yes.

Hi Pero..

I am asking this because i am in the middle of it..trying to make it work.
But is really,really difficult given that all the objects of distraction are just inches away and i only need a thought..one thought and i'm gone, lost ...doing things which have nothing to do with retreat.
florin

Post by florin »

Lhug-Pa wrote: About doing retreats at home:

The way I look at it, if some people can work their job or jobs 60 to 70 hours a week, then we should be able to find a way to do a retreat at home even if we ourselves are working a job 30 to 40 hours a week. Not that an ordinary job is comparable to a Dharma retreat; I'm just talking time-wise. And like Pero said, a lot of discipline. You also have to make sure that you have your practice(s) straight so that you don't realize one day that your practice is lacking a certain element, which causes you to have to stop your retreat in order to go find the right text, or find the right individual(s) in order to ask them a question, etc. I'm quite "thorough", so I don't want to do only one practice during a retreat. I've got to make sure that this body stays limber and fit for sitting hours at a time, so am going to add Yantra Yoga; and always start each session with a thorough Tun, even if only a thorough short Thun, etc. Of course if we have the means to take time off from our job, then it's much better to visit a retreat center.
Over the years i've seen that people ,given the chance,would much better choose to go to a place of retreat,away from distractions rather than stay at home with wife ,kids,neigbours...loud music,tv...computer...mobile phones...etc...
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

If you have the means to, then great.

If not, then I guess there's no choice but to get up at 3 or 4 AM before everyone else gets up.

Perhaps divide your practices such that the ones you need more quiet for, do in the morning; and then do the rest in the evening before bed.
florin

Post by florin »

Lhug-Pa wrote:If you have the means to, then great.

If not, then I guess there's no choice but to get up at 3 or 4 AM before everyone else gets up.

Perhaps divide your practices such that the ones you need more quiet for, do in the morning; and then do the rest in the evening before bed.
But that wouldnt be a retreat ,it would only be a daily practice..

Reatreat means something like 3 or 4 practice sessions a day covering roughly 10 or 11 hours..where you would include a variety of practices as rinpoche advices since you dont want to vomit :jawdrop: :lol: .....from too much TUN
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Well here's an example, for those of us who don't currently have the means for leaving for a secluded retreat:

For a morning session, start by 4 or 5 AM and do a short Tun, maybe some Yantra Yoga, and then two hours of Rushen.

For an evening session, Yantra Yoga and a short Tun with, for example, Ganapuja or Tara practice added; and say, Shiné practice in there somewhere.

Approximately three hours in the morning and three hours at night; and still getting five or six hours of sleep. If that's not enough sleep, then looking into adding Chulen somehow.

With two hours of Rushen each day, one should be able to complete one specific Rushen practice within three or four months.

Any thoughts on such an idea?
Pero

Post by Pero »

alpha wrote:I am asking this because i am in the middle of it..trying to make it work.
But is really,really difficult given that all the objects of distraction are just inches away and i only need a thought..one thought and i'm gone, lost ...doing things which have nothing to do with retreat.
Haha yup...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Inge

Post by Inge »

Are there any DC members here who are familiar with the practice for the naga, and are willing to answer some questions about this over pm?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Is this the six lokas practice that also involves Vajrasattva --> http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pero

Post by Pero »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Is this the six lokas practice that also involves Vajrasattva --> http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Yes.
- Shabkar
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Pero wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:Is this the six lokas practice that also involves Vajrasattva --> http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Yes.
Molto grazie. :namaste:
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

New Guru Yoga e-book... anyone know what it is? Do I already own it in a paper format or is this something brand spanking new? I have the explanation of transmission booklet, which it says is explained in the Guru Yoga e-book. I'm sure that's not really what their selling at $9 for a PDF, though, since the paper product was originally only $5, I think.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote:New Guru Yoga e-book... anyone know what it is? Do I already own it in a paper format or is this something brand spanking new? I have the explanation of transmission booklet, which it says is explained in the Guru Yoga e-book. I'm sure that's not really what their selling at $9 for a PDF, though, since the paper product was originally only $5, I think.
Padma Nordu, this is the new e-book about Guru Yoga:
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=455

It contains much more than the old transmission booklet and it was first published in paper on 2011:
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=434

I think it is indispensable for anyone who likes to practise Dzogchen. :thumbsup:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....

Return to “Dzogchen”