A. Berzin's Dzogchen Archive

Pero

Re: A. Berzin's Dzogchen Archive

Postby Pero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 pm

That isn't Semde instruction as far as I know and it isn't the same as the second yoga. Certainly I haven't heard/read about doing the 4 yogas in the dark as a beginner and I don't think it would be beneficial. If you want Dzogchen Semde instructions you can read books like Precious Ship (Longchenpa's system), Introduction To The Practice of Contemplation (4 yogas, Khams system?) and Semde teachings of Sogdogpa Lodro Gyaltsen (Nyang system). But I'm not sure how it is with transmission in this case, if you need something particular or if direct introduction is sufficient. Before Rinpoche often explained the 4 yogas but recently not so much it seems to me. And in 5 years I think I only heard once a teaching like that of SLG (perhaps it was even his, not sure).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Pero and Pema Rigdzin; however I don't know if you clicked on the link to the Berzinarchives webpage I quoted, but what I bolded in that quote is in the context of Dzogchen, but not Dark Retreat. And I have read Introduction to Contemplation by Rinpoche, yet couldn't remember if anything was written there about any stage of Dzogchen practice, aside from Dark Retreat, where we should practice in total darkness in order to avoid visual distractions (that is until we become more familiar with the separation of Samsara and Nirvana as to be able to Integrate visual perceptions as well). So I should study that book more. Well, we do have the Practice of Night/Dream Yoga which serves as a total darkness/eyes-closed Contemplation.... Anyhow, if you go back and visit the mentioned Berzinarchives link I posted about three posts back, that is if you haven't already, and peruse it a bit, it would provide more context for this discussion.

Pero

Postby Pero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pero

Postby Pero » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm

- Shabkar

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Okay thanks Pero.

Unless or until anyone knows where Alexander Berzin is coming from with this, I'll just have to read the entire two-part essay, and research from there. Because like I said, even though he is talking about Dzogchen meditation in total darkness, I'm quite sure that it is NOT in the context of Dark Retreat. That's why it caught my attention.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

True. Although from what I've read, Alexander Berzin doesn't seem to be the type to make stuff up as he goes along. Although maybe he's somehow mistaken about this, I don't know.

I haven't read the cited entire two-part essay yet (it doesn't look like it's very long); but once I do, there will be more context to compare his said essay to what the Masters have taught.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:49 am

Sönam

Postby Sönam » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:27 am

Alexander Berzin has more a Gelugpa cursus ... as far as I remember.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Laughable because it is incorrect?

Or laughable simply because it has a lot of holes in it (i.e. is very incomplete)?

In any case, is it the consensus—despite the Gelugpa Alexander Berzin's recommendation to—that it is totally unnecessary for a Dzogchenpa (or aspiring Dzogchenpa), who has not yet recognized Nyimed, to meditate in the dark, that is outside the context of Dark Retreat and Dream Yoga?

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks Adamantine.

I'll try to reply again soon. :anjali:

Return to “Dzogchen”