YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great vegetarian debate - Page 41 - Dhamma Wheel

the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
James the Giant

Re: Justify eating meat

Postby James the Giant » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:34 pm

do you like woolly jumpers? or any other clothing made from animal products such as leather shoes?
what about the land not suitable for plant cultivation?

to make the most out of resources in the most efficient way animals can not stay out of the diet!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

poto

Postby poto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Animals, especially ruminants can eat things that we humans can not eat. For example, if I have a field of hay and feed that hay to my goats, I can then eat the goats. I can not eat the hay. I may also get milk from the goats which I can drink or make into cheese.

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Goedert

Postby Goedert » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't see a problem with some meat consumption. But not too much, need moderation. I think many of the examples Morlock has shown are likely a symptom of overdoing it. As well as the agricultural and environmental problems that come as a result of the high demand for it. It really isn't a thing we need tons of, in general, but the right amount should be fine. This is not taking into account the whole killing issue.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Vegetarianism isn't much better either.

A lot of insects and tiny creatures die for the mass production of vegetarian food . The fruits are sprayed with pesticide which protects them from being eaten by insects. Insects die because of that. Furthermore farming the land may unintentionally hurt and kill lots bugs, worms and insects.

So even eating vegetarian food makes it possible for death of many creatures. Even quantitively more than large animals.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:18 am

It is a matter of degrees. Do we want to live lives which cause less harm than more. Do we want to cultivate lifestyles which are more conducive to the lessening of harm in the world? If the answer is yes then it is appropriate to think about what that means and come back to it on a regular basis. There is no use in chastising ourselves and others but we can reassess our options in the light of compassion each for ourselves.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:30 am

poto

Postby poto » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:51 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 am

:D

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:01 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:12 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:22 am

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 am

I don't think Manapa is saying that lowering meat consumption isn't beneficial, he's just saying that the issue is not so black and white.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”