YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Thich Nhat Hanh: Dependant Co-arising & Inter-Being - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Thich Nhat Hanh: Dependant Co-arising & Inter-Being

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh: Dependant Co-arising & Inter-Being

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:36 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:40 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:53 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:14 am

Still, getting back to the topic, the term used by Ven "inter-being" has not always run so smoothly for me. One may ask from whence does this term come? Does that system of thought actually concur with the sutras that are cited in the beginning of this thread? I'll throw this question out there, hoping that maybe Christopher can do the search and post the answers. I could do it myself, but that is not going to be my role today, and I don't like to spoon feed.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 am

Thank you for your insights Venerable.

And thanks for your note that sunnata is discussed in the Pali Canon. Chapt 122 Mahasunnata Sutta is one - page 971 VenNanamoli/VenBodhi. I think there's another in the connected discourses - Samyutta Nikaya - but would have to look it up to be sure.

As in my earlier post - 'inter being' doesn't 'feel' right to me. It doesn't seem to jive with the teachings in the Pali canon - from what I have read so far - the Tathagata taught in the negative mode - careful not to say 'what was' - but what was not - to help the student gain insight without fabricating concepts which lead to self or I making. The positive statement "things inter-are" - the melting pot of one-ness as I like to call it - seems to speak of a 'big self'. Even if that is not Ven. Hanh's intent - it could easily be construed that way - which seems in contradiction to the Buddhist teachings from the Pali canon.

I can't throw out sutta references like most of the folks here - so apologies - just going with what I've learnt so far, pondered upon so far and intuition.

'Doesn't smell right'

Respectfully,

V,.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:04 am

Thank you so much Venerable, for all this information, and especially for your time and effort. I'm pretty sure that i found something once that i had posted at e-sangha on the origins of the term "inter-being"... it may be an English translation of a Vietnamese term.

i'll look for it.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:52 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:13 am

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:22 am

I guess my posts are so much chopped liver - that's pronounced "livah"
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:43 am

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Venerable. I didn't see Chinese characters for the Vietnamese term Tiếp Hiện , perhaps we were looking at different links. This is the primary page, in English. On the left is a link to Vietnamese. What (and/or where) are the Chinese characters you found?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Interbeing

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:05 am

Have to go now, will check in again later.

:anjali:

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:57 am

As usual this has turned into a discussion about interpretation of Mahayana views.
I for one have no problem with that at all, it is after all in the Dhamma Free for All, but as usual as these debates proceed they have less and less to do with the Theravada.
I think this Forum is a generous host, as it should be. I can think of a number of Buddhist websites where the fact that the discussion had moved beyond the remit for that Forum would be less tolerated.

legolas

Postby legolas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:39 am

Is not dependant origination a "bad" thing, since it is the process of our suffering. "Interbeing" seems to be described by TNH as a wonderful and beautiful expression of life.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 am

I think you have put your finger on an important issue Legolas.
Whereas in my view the Theravada emphasises the fact that D.O. starts with Ignorance...the tenor in TNH writings seems to be on some kind of affirmation of the world. I dont think actually that the Theravada sees D.O. as bad. I do think it sees the process it describes as leading to Dukkha and therefore to be transcended. Not in some way perfected or added to or improved.

Postby christopher::: » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 am

Last edited by christopher::: on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 am

i always took interbeing as an understanding of emptiness not dependant origination. did i miss something?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

legolas

Postby legolas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 am

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”