What do you call this practice...?

padma norbu

What do you call this practice...?

Post by padma norbu »

DAKINI WISDOM (instructional dvd)
DESCRIPTION:
The Tibetan word for the Sanskrit dakini is khadro, which means "sky goer" or sky dancer." In this DVD, Chagdud Rinpoche explains how a spiritual practitioner can liberate thoughts and emotions in the basic space, or vast sky, of mind's true nature through the realization of emptiness. This process of freeing the mind's poisons as they arise is the swiftest path to liberation.

http://www.tibetantreasures.com/DVDs-Da ... m_DVD.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$5 DVD with any purchase... probably worth it, eh?

Sounds familiar, but I don't see the word I'm looking for in the description.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: What do you call this practice...?

Post by padma norbu »

:: peekaboo ::
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Is it a Jnanadakini practice?

http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know if you have the transmission from Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche for Longsal Jnanadakini, but it may be worthwhile to learn about both of the above practices.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I don't know; sounded to me kind of like trekcho. Guess we'll see...
krodha

Post by krodha »

padma norbu wrote:DAKINI WISDOM (instructional dvd)
DESCRIPTION:
The Tibetan word for the Sanskrit dakini is khadro, which means "sky goer" or sky dancer." In this DVD, Chagdud Rinpoche explains how a spiritual practitioner can liberate thoughts and emotions in the basic space, or vast sky, of mind's true nature through the realization of emptiness. This process of freeing the mind's poisons as they arise is the swiftest path to liberation.

http://www.tibetantreasures.com/DVDs-Da ... m_DVD.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$5 DVD with any purchase... probably worth it, eh?

Sounds familiar, but I don't see the word I'm looking for in the description.
Umm.. Dunno what you'd call it but that's the main practice for rapid progress. That's the beginning of resting in the natural state. It's still slightly dualistic.. You acting as the aperture and allowing phenomena to self-liberate, but it's the solid start. Call it contemplation, call it uninterrupted non-meditation.. But pretty much if one isn't doing that at all times or working towards being able to relax into that effortless self-liberating state, they're on a slower path.

I remember Lama Lena a year or so ago at a retreat said Dakinis are representations of our thoughts.. And emotions are reflections of thought. So naturally this dakini themed practice is geared toward thought and emotion work. Whether or not that's true about Dakinis I'm not 100% sure but shes Wangdors student and he's a beast, dude straight up stopped my thoughts one time for almost 5 mins I couldn't think even if I tried to... Which is just some siddhi stuff but that coupled with the caliber of their teachings certainly seems validating. I could be wrong and just allowed myself to be swayed by magic though for all I know ha!

That's the same style practice ChNN champions and says is of utmost importance (that and guru yoga of course).
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

asunthatneversets wrote:shes Wangdors student and he's a beast, dude straight up stopped my thoughts one time for almost 5 mins I couldn't think even if I tried to...
This isn't a loaded question or anything, I'm just curious... would you say that this ultimately had much effect on you and if so, how? What I mean is, this could be a short-lived thing which gives you faith, etc. and you look back and go, "wow, that was awesome" and never forget it, but the effect itself may have worn off... OR, perhaps forever after that, it was much easier to access thought-free awareness and like that. Know what I mean? Just wondering.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

possibly a form of namkha arte/sky gazing?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
krodha

Post by krodha »

padma norbu wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:shes Wangdors student and he's a beast, dude straight up stopped my thoughts one time for almost 5 mins I couldn't think even if I tried to...
This isn't a loaded question or anything, I'm just curious... would you say that this ultimately had much effect on you and if so, how? What I mean is, this could be a short-lived thing which gives you faith, etc. and you look back and go, "wow, that was awesome" and never forget it, but the effect itself may have worn off... OR, perhaps forever after that, it was much easier to access thought-free awareness and like that. Know what I mean? Just wondering.
You know, that's funny I hadn't really thought about it before.. I have just always treated it as an experience which instilled a genuine faith that there's immense power and truth to the teachings and the fruit they can bare. It legitimized stories you hear of siddhis and such. But presently in my experience I actually can access thought-free awareness at the drop of a dime and usually for as long as desired. I just always attributed this to regular sitting meditation and cultivating presence in daily life exponentially. But you're right for all I know that experience with wangdor could have played a major role. It was odd because it was unexpected, he speaks Tibetan and has Lena translate and the teaching was being given in a loft apartment actually which was packed with people lining down the stairs to the door. I was on the stairs so I couldn't even see him but Lena said he was going to give an empowerment and he started a moderately paced singing type mantra and all mental activity just stopped until he finished. The teaching was the flight of the garuda but I have no idea what he did or gave at the end. So I'm not sure if that experience and the diminishment/ability to willfully subdue thought are related but it could be. I try to disregard this, though it is useful for maintaining presence and awareness... I actually feel like an ass for talking about it for some reason, I'm a quiet and humble(not to imply I'd even consider it something to brag of) person and I know that is imperative conduct to maintain and follow in relation to ones path. Interesting though.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Thanks for the response. Good to see benefits detailed by fellow practitioners; I didn't see anything braggy in your rseponse at all. You gave me exactly the sort of information I was looking for.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

the dvd is not trekcho at all... it is a teaching on emptiness. It is a full explanation of how things are vs. how they appear ("just like dream" vs. "real, solid") and instruction to contemplate the true nature of reality and to rest in that awareness. Sounds like Dzogchen, but I've followed Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche's teachings long enough to know that somehow though they are talking about the same thing, the teachings are somewhat different somehow. Anyway, it's not trekcho.

Return to “Dzogchen”