Guest houses in Kathmandu, Nepal

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Guest houses in Kathmandu, Nepal

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for guest houses in Kathmandu, preferably near Boudhanath?

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Re: Guest houses in Kathmandu, Nepal

Postby Karinos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Benchen Vihar in Tenga Rinpoche monastery but it is Kimdol - Swayambhunat
bghouse@ntc.net.np
Karinos

Postby Tssrt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:44 pm

There are many, what in specific are you looking for? What is your budget?

Shechen guesthouse is pretty nice, but expansive. I think I payed like 7 Dollar a night. Padma Guesthouse is also nice, but really expansive, around 20 dollars a night, it is directly on the Stupa though.

Personally i would recommend you Dragon Guesthouse, it is behind Shechen and it looks very nice. I think it is cheaper, like around 300 Rupees a night. I havent seen the rooms, but people say it is nice and I can say that the food is pretty good. Next best is Lotos Guesthouse, also around 300 Rupees a night, but as far as I could see there are shared bathrooms, so you will not have your own one.

Every mentioned guesthouse is less than a 10 minute walk to the stupa.

http://www.muktinath.org/travel/dragon.htm

Greetings,
Tssrt
Tssrt

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Tssrt wrote:There are many, what in specific are you looking for? What is your budget?

Shechen guesthouse is pretty nice, but expansive. I think I payed like 7 Dollar a night. Padma Guesthouse is also nice, but really expansive, around 20 dollars a night, it is directly on the Stupa though.

Personally i would recommend you Dragon Guesthouse, it is behind Shechen and it looks very nice. I think it is cheaper, like around 300 Rupees a night. I havent seen the rooms, but people say it is nice and I can say that the food is pretty good. Next best is Lotos Guesthouse, also around 300 Rupees a night, but as far as I could see there are shared bathrooms, so you will not have your own one.

Every mentioned guesthouse is less than a 10 minute walk to the stupa. It is really no problem to find a room here. The best would be you look for a guesthouse when you are here, maybe a bit difficult when you have your suitcases and stuff.

Greetings,
Tssrt

Thanks for the information - that is very useful indeed.

Well I'm only going to be there for a week, so I think I will be able to afford $7 a night.

I thought it would be good to stay in a place affiliated with a monastery. I will be visiting Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche's, but unfortunately it doesn't have any kind of guest house. I would be there in June, is that a busy time or not?

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby Tssrt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Shechen guesthouse is definetly good then, it is very nice there compared to other places. They also have internet and (i seem to remember) warm water. It is about 5 minutes from Chökyi Nyima Rinpoches monastery. I came here last June and they had space for me in Shechen, but a friend made a reservation for me one week before.

Best regards
Tssrt

Postby Nemo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:42 pm

I may try to make a stop over in Nepal next month. Can you get a direct flight from Honk Kong? I wouldn't mind spending a more that 20$ for some place quiet with a good shower. Is there a night life there as well? I am on vacation and want to have some fun.
Nemo

Postby Tssrt » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 pm

In Boudhanath is no night life. Everything closes at 9. Outside the buddha gate are some chang places that are open longer. That is the whole night life there :D. In Thamel the last pubs close at like 11, these days there are also just few people there. It is really depressing if you really want to do something. They also dont have gay bars or stuff like that.
Tssrt

Postby conebeckham » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Lotus Guesthouse, attached to Dabzang Rinpoche's monastery, is where I always stay. Very close to the stupa.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby kirtu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Tssrt wrote:In Boudhanath is no night life. Everything closes at 9..

Boudhanath isn't Amsterdam, Koeln, or DC. What a revelation.

Are you able to circumnambulate the stupa after 9 pm?

Thanks!

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Tssrt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:47 am

Yes, for sure. The Khora is pretty safe. I always walk home alone at 10, 11 and much later and i feel more safe than in the west. In the 7 month I stay here now I only had one uncomfortable situation. Friends of mine got robbed though.
Tssrt

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 am

Tssrt wrote:

Dragon Inn Guesthouse behind Shechen is quite nice. I stayed there before. If you stay there, the eatery at Shechen is a stone's throw away. The restaurant in Dragon Inn is also vegetarian.

Quite clean. New carpets. No stains on the wall or floor. Linens were all washed properly. No sentient beings running around the floor. I recall the staff being quite friendly, too.

Like anywhere in Kathmandu, the hot water is only available during certain hours of the day. Lights are only on for maybe 10 hours per day due to load shedding.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience