Guarding Oneself...

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Guarding Oneself...

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 am

I was watching this vid and immediately thought of these verses...

Let a man guard himself against irritability in bodily action; let him be controlled in deed.
Abandoning bodily misconduct, let him practice good conduct in deed.

Let a man guard himself against irritability in speech; let him be controlled in speech.
Abandoning verbal misconduct, let him practice good conduct in speech.

Let a man guard himself against irritability in thought; let him be controlled in mind.
Abandoning mental misconduct, let him practice good conduct in thought.

The wise are controlled in bodily action, controlled in speech and controlled in thought.
They are truly well-controlled.

What do you think?
plwk

Re: Guarding Oneself...

Postby catmoon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Well, I think the cat was just trying to make friends and there was no cause for that savage and unprovoked attack by the dog.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Guarding Oneself...

Postby White Lotus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:51 pm

interesting that you post this now PWLK, i am rarely irritable, but was so yesterday when caught off balance, for completely no reason. a girl approached me asking me to donate to a cancer charity by making a mobile phone text. i didnt get angry or anything, was just irritated. completely unjustified. i feel bad about it now. we need to be watchful of our emotions and guard against negative energy.

i was last irritable when kept up till 4 am by music played by neighbours, but that didnt bother me particularly. i am however ashamed that i should become irritable over a girl asking money for charity. i guess we all have a shadow side to ourselves.

thank you for starting this thread.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Return to Personal Experience