Prayerwheels do they work?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
AlexanderS

Prayerwheels do they work?

Postby AlexanderS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 pm

If prayerwheels work, and if my practice was a simply reciting 'Om mani peme hung' then would't spinning a prayerwheel with 100 million mani mantras make progress erm, slightly faster?

Caz

Re: Prayerwheels do they work?

Postby Caz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Depends what your mind is doing. Anyone can spin prayer wheels around and recite Mantras but what is your mind actually doing during this time ? Thats the real question as to whether or not they work. :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.

gad rgyangs

Postby gad rgyangs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25

Monlam Tharchin

Postby Monlam Tharchin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm still a relatively new practitioner, so please bear that in mind as I ramble at you :D

I think like Caz said, it's not so much the prayer wheel or any prayer itself that will "work". Attachment to the supposed efficacy of rituals is even one of the ten fetters, right up there with attachment to self. That's the belief that somehow doing something external will lead to internal liberation. If your mind isn't in the right place, saying each prayer with full mindfulness of its meaning and that you might die before you finish the next repetition, then you might as well be saying "om mani sandwich hum" :)

It's similar to the idea that renunciation means making your outward life look a certain way, like living in a monastery with no worldly possessions. It's when we take something "out there" and not only invent an idea relative to that thing, but then identify ourselves with that idea, that suffering gets a subtle foothold... In this case, you may feel suffering because you've taken a prayer wheel (which is empty), prayers (which are also empty), and made a bridge between them and your view of yourself (also empty). That is, you've made expectations :) None of these things has inherent existence or value, and it's all a bit vague and unstable, isn't it? Of course you're disappointed! Who wouldn't be? No matter how hard we squeeze smoke, we can't make it solid.

So relating to that, if you're feeling bored while doing your prayer wheel, thinking, "I hope this does X, Y, and Z for me," really stop and ask yourself, "Who benefits from this? Who is holding the prayer wheel? Where do these words come from and where do they go?" It's easy to turn spiritual practice into a self-improvement project. Stop looking outward, stop seeking progress, stop having high expectations... Those are all currency of a permanent self that constantly tries to trumpet its own importance and existence.

Try using the prayers to create a state of mind. Use them to look precisely where our neuroses and self and cherished beliefs really, really don't want you to look: straight at them and right through them.

I hope this isn't too off base, and I hope more experienced people will correct me where I'm mistaken. Good luck with your practice!! :cheers:
on hiatus since September, 2017

muni

Postby muni » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 am

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 am

Excellent story gad rgyangs! :twothumbsup: Thank you very much for sharing that!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

catmoon
Former staff member

Postby catmoon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Wonderful stories, thank you for sharing them here.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

AlexanderS

Postby AlexanderS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 am

Is there any way we can lure Namdrol to comment on the effects of prayerwheels?

Simurgh

Postby Simurgh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 am

Thank you for the wonderful stories! :namaste:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”