Kagyu practices in daily life

Caz

Re: Kagyu practices in daily life

Post by Caz »

conebeckham wrote:Hey Caz-

Due to being's varying karma, various practices relating to different gurus may have greater or lesser karmic affinity with certain beings.
Ultimately, though they are the same.

In terms of details, the various Kamtsang guru yogas listed differ widely in certain aspects.......so again, different sorts of relationships.
Cheers Conebeckham

So what specifically are the results of practicing certain Guru Yogas Ive been told that each has a different subtle result from the next ? :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Honestly, I wouldn't know.....I'm familiar with a couple, but I can't say anything about 'results!"

By the same token, though, one could ask why there's more than one yidam, right? Yidam practice aims for the same result, ultimately, though methods differ, and perhaps even mundane siddhis may differ....

Theoretically, all LaDrups should result in the state of Vajradhara--that's the "Result," the Absolute Result, should one practice perfectly and purely. Guru Yoga, the path of Devotion, is also the means for attaining the "blessings" of the lineage, or, if you wish, of particular gurus in that lineage.

From the POV of relative truth, Gampopa was a different person than Marpa, who was a different person than Milarepa, etc. On the path of practice, the methods differ. Milarepa's Guru Yoga, for instance, relies on Dorje Phagmo as yidam, and on Mila as "In-Front Generation," and there are supplications, as well as instructions regarding Nature of Mind, which are included. Marpa's practice has outer, inner, and secret levels, and Hevajra is involved.

Gampopa was a (Kadam) monk. Marpa was a Gentleman Farmer. Milerapa was a naughty guy, or so the histories say, who became the greatest yogi in Tibetan history. Different people have different propensities, and may be drawn toward different types of teachers.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
gurokevin

Post by gurokevin »

I am currently focus solely on my Dorje Sempa practice (as per my root guru Thrangu Rinpche's instructions).
Karma Lodro Senge
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion - H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama
Paul

Post by Paul »

conebeckham wrote: There's also Konchok Chidu, and others.......
Do you (or anyone else) know if there are different Konchok Chidu sadhanas? I am trying to identify the exact one that is used at Samye Ling in the UK.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

Paul wrote:
Do you (or anyone else) know if there are different Konchok Chidu sadhanas? I am trying to identify the exact one that is used at Samye Ling in the UK.
There probably are since the terma text themselves are rather short and are used both in various Nyingma traditions as well as Kagyu ones. Most Kagyus seems to use the sadhana that Jamgon Kongtrul put together that is rather long and a short one like they use at Samye Ling that only covers the peaceful Guru. I seem to remember that you can order that from their website.

Tulku Dakpa from Mindroling Monastery and currently living in Helsinki Finland does a Drubchen of Konchok Chidu every year that anyone can join, if you are interested.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

Kelwin wrote:Hi all,

As a follower of the Karma Kagyu path, I've seen different people do different practices. Obviously we all do or did the ngondro. And then some more. Then many continue with the Guru Yogas of Mikyo Dorje ,Karma Pakshi, or Milarepa. Others do Green Tara, Chenrezig, or Vajrayogini.

Other practices, like Chakrasamvara, Gyalwa Gyamtso, Mahakalu, Gampopa's Guru Yoga, the 6 yogas, etc, seem to be mostly done in retreat only (although I know exceptions to the rule).

So I was wondering, what other practices do you know are being done by those outside of retreat, living a householder's life?

All the best,
Kelwin
Daily practice?

One of late Kalu Rinpoche: allow all thoughts, feelings, and preceptions to settle like snow-flakes falling into a clear lake.
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

heart wrote:
Paul wrote:
There probably are since the terma text themselves are rather short and are used both in various Nyingma traditions as well as Kagyu ones. Most Kagyus seems to use the sadhana that Jamgon Kongtrul put together that is rather long and a short one like they use at Samye Ling that only covers the peaceful Guru. I seem to remember that you can order that from their website.

/magnus
The "common" and most widely practiced Konchok Chidu sadhana, written by Jamgon Kongtrul and extracted from a much longer text, is that of the peaceful guru. The elaborate sadhana, also written by JK, contains its own ngondro, as well sections on each of the three roots, a long-life practice, a four karmas practice and a tsok.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Do you know if the elaborate practice is available in translation?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Paul

Post by Paul »

conebeckham wrote:Do you know if the elaborate practice is available in translation?
I think it may be the longer sadhana that Samye Ling practice every month on Guru Rinpoche day. I can check next time I am there, if you like. They also have a drubcho and drubchen that I think are from the Konchok Chidu.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

That would be nice, Paul, thanks, but no rush--I have the sort "Guru Shiwa" as well as the longer text in Tibetan.....interested to see if their versions match what I have. (There are two translation productions I've seen of the sort one--probably more versions exist, too--so I'm wondering how the long one matches........but it's mere curiosity on my part, and not important).

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hey,

Just noticed this thread....At Samye Ling on 10th day it's the long Konchog Chidu Sadhana, with Guru Drakpo and Senge Dongpachen. Usually people who practice it daily it is just Pema Obar (peaceful Guru)...the Drupchen includes GD, SD and Long Life....and Akong Rinpoche has also incorporated the long KC Sadhana into the 3 year retreat, so along with added Namcho Amitabha, the retreat is extended to 4 years.

ps. Cone I'll be down there in 2 weeks, so can check/get a text for you (pps. I still have Pakshi Ladrup stuff for you in an addressed envelope ready to send! sorry I haven't mailed it yet, last few months been busy!)
s.
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote:Do you know if the elaborate practice is available in translation?
I have a translation of the long sadhana that Peter Allan Roberts did a long time ago.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Paul

Post by Paul »

heart wrote:
I have a translation of the long sadhana that Peter Allan Roberts did a long time ago.

/magnus
That'll be the same as the Samye Ling one.
heart

Post by heart »

The short sadhana as well as many other sadhanas can be downloaded here for free http://www.namobuddhapub.com/category_s/57.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

muni

Post by muni »

Sometime go outside and sit,

In the evening at sunset,

When there’s a slight breeze that touches your body,

And makes the leaves and the trees move gently.

You’re not trying to do anything, really.

You’re simply allowing yourself to be,

Very open from deep within,

Without holding onto anything whatsoever.

Don’t bring something back from the past, from a memory.

Don’t plan that something should happen.

Don’t hold onto anything in the present.

Nothing you perceive needs to be nailed down.

Simply let experience take place, very freely,

So that your empty, open heart

Is suffused with the tenderness of true compassion.
Meditating Bob

Post by Meditating Bob »

As the OP discussion seems to have wound down a little I hope it is not too presumptuous of me to append my related query. I have come back to Tibetan Buddhism after many years away in other traditions and hope to be able to visit Samye Ling in Scotland a couple of times a year starting with the easter meditation retreat (an introductory retreat should be good to get me back into the swing of things). My question is, not being very familiar with the Kagyu tradition, what other introductions, instructions or initiations should I look out for in order to build usefully upon my meditation practice over the coming years?
muni

Post by muni »

http://www.samyeling.org/index/meditation-courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.samyeling.org/index/courses-at-samyeling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Talk to a teacher.
ollers

Post by ollers »

Hi !
If you want a nice translation of the long Könchu Chidu I would suggest the one from Nalanda. They also have translated the Ngöndro. Very nice one !

Return to “Kagyu”