Gaden Lha Gyama

Dave The Seeker

Gaden Lha Gyama

Post by Dave The Seeker »

I have received the book I ordered and in reading the Motivation page at the very beginning it states
Not only is this teaching on the profound path of guru yoga a teaching on tantra, it is the highest level, mahanuttara yoga tantra
I am new to Buddhism and as I understand, which could be wrong, Tantra is a bit advanced for someone of my understanding. I've done an extensive search on the site here and read a lot. And without a teacher I should maintain my studies/practice on the mantra level. I guess that's the best way to put it.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Gaden Lha Gyama

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This practice will plant strong, vital seeds for connecting with Je Tsongkhapa's teachings in future lives. So practice it for a time, provided you do have a real admiration for Je Tsongkhapa. After a few days (weeks, months?) you can replace it with lam rim meditations, for example. (By the way mantra is another name for tantra.)

You will not become a tantrika just by practicing one or two tantric practices. If you wish to stay on the sutric or paramita path, just be sure to avoid pledging to keep any tantric vows.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Dave The Seeker

Thank you for your help Will.
I also confused the terms mantra and suttra. Sorry about that.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Caz

Post by Caz »

Gaden Lhagyama is a very powerful practice we create a very close connection with Je Rinpoche by doing this practice, If you practice Lamrim as well you gain its realizations very quickly.

Here are some teachings on this practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLZeOfFqtw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Tewi

Post by Tewi »

This is a defining Gelugpa practice, of course. Those who do not define themselves specifically as Gelugpa, would probably find this inappropriate as a regular practice (although it seems not to be restricted). Dharma centers, I've noticed, find it tempting to grab newcomers and give them a sectarian identity, tying them to their lineage, when they really ought to be focusing on Sakyamuni Buddha or Chenrezig.
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Tewi wrote:This is a defining Gelugpa practice, of course. Those who do not define themselves specifically as Gelugpa, would probably find this inappropriate as a regular practice (although it seems not to be restricted). Dharma centers, I've noticed, find it tempting to grab newcomers and give them a sectarian identity, tying them to their lineage, when they really ought to be focusing on Sakyamuni Buddha or Chenrezig.
Je Tsongkhapa is both Shakyamuni Buddha and Avalokiteshvara, so no problem :smile:

There's nothing sectarian about wanting to practise only one tradition - it isn't a criticism of or invalidation of other traditions.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Je Tsongkhapa is both Shakyamuni Buddha and Avalokiteshvara, so no problem :smile:
And Vajrapani and Manjusri... as per Migtsema...
There's nothing sectarian about wanting to practise only one tradition - it isn't a criticism of or invalidation of other traditions.
Right... provided if some didn't think that's the only way to do it for others...
plwk

Post by plwk »

Try here
plwk

Post by plwk »

Gaden Lhagyama is a very powerful practice we create a very close connection with Je Rinpoche by doing this practice, If you practice Lamrim as well you gain its realizations very quickly.

Here are some teachings on this practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLZeOfFqtw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
An updated one...
Dave The Seeker

Thank you all for the help and the links.
plwk, I got the book from FPMT, it seems to be the same one you linked too.
Thanks again

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Caz

Post by Caz »

Tewi wrote:This is a defining Gelugpa practice, of course. Those who do not define themselves specifically as Gelugpa, would probably find this inappropriate as a regular practice (although it seems not to be restricted). Dharma centers, I've noticed, find it tempting to grab newcomers and give them a sectarian identity, tying them to their lineage, when they really ought to be focusing on Sakyamuni Buddha or Chenrezig.
If you dont feel a connection with it dont practice itS simple as that. Its an important part of Gelug practice and as lineageholder and Plwk said he is regarded as synthesis of many enlightened beings. Its unwise to expect Dharma centres to present an exclusivley non sided presentation of Dharma A) Because each lineage is unique and a full presentation in itself. B) Each tradition has no mandate to present other traditions teachings in their centres if they wanted to learn about Nyingma, Kagyu, Sakya or Jonang practices then they can find a centre that teaches such.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Tewi

Post by Tewi »

I don't object to it, or to Tzongkhapa (though I see him as one among many equally worthy voices), or to the Gelugpa lineage which arose in his wake. I'd just like to see basic levels of Buddhism concentrate on that which is shared across the different schools, rather than pushing newcomers into identifying with the particular symbols of their lineage (as would be reasonable for more advanced practices). In fact I believe that used to be FPMT policy, back in the old days. (Since the OP seems to be studying through them.) At the same time, I realize that Tibetans of all descriptions revere Tsongkhapa at least as Manjushri, if not of all three deities. So it's a judgement call.
Dave The Seeker

I am studying through FPMT, but I haven't been to a center nor has anyone "pushed" this on me.
I got the book from a suggestion from Nagwa in another thread. As I had stated how long my practice was getting as I added more prayers and practices to it.
I work 7 days a week and get up an hour earlier to practice. I was told that this would incorperate many of the prayers and practices into one so that I could still keep my practice in the time I have available. Then I had a question so I posted here for the advice of the great members here who are so willing to help.
Once again thank you all for your replies and help. :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Caz

Post by Caz »

Gaden Lhagyama is an entire practice in itself a compact synthesis of the path. :namaste:

Dave The Seeker

Thanks caz, I believe thats the same way Nangwa said it.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Tewi wrote:I don't object to it, or to Tzongkhapa (though I see him as one among many equally worthy voices), or to the Gelugpa lineage which arose in his wake. I'd just like to see basic levels of Buddhism concentrate on that which is shared across the different schools, rather than pushing newcomers into identifying with the particular symbols of their lineage (as would be reasonable for more advanced practices). In fact I believe that used to be FPMT policy, back in the old days. (Since the OP seems to be studying through them.) At the same time, I realize that Tibetans of all descriptions revere Tsongkhapa at least as Manjushri, if not of all three deities. So it's a judgement call.
I have been studying/practicing with the organization now for about two years and, if one only attended our general

teachings on Sundays, you would seldom hear of Tsongkhapa. Beginning practitioners are encouraged to have a meditation

practice that addresses all the points of the entire graduated path. Usually, A Daily Meditation on Shakyamuni Buddha is suggested and if

a practitioner feels a special connection to Tsongkhapa, then a practice like Gaden Lha Gyama might be recommended. Both are meant to serve the same purpose.

Shaun :namaste:
Dave The Seeker

I have began reading the book I have again, from the beginning. Had to take a break as between work and the remodeling of the house I didn't have much time for studying.
I am able to understand the terms used in the book, from reading so many posts here from the different members who help so many of us.

But I am really having a hard time "grasping" much of the teaching in the context, as at times, a talk by HHDL is mentioned and then the subject covered in this teaching isn't explained.

I think I need to find a teacher and gain a greater understanding of a few things before I'll be able to practice this with the proper/correct intentions.

I once again thank all of you for you input and help as I try to understand things in the proper context.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Of course, the Gelukpa themselves are very non-sectarian in the teachings they promote. Being the only school without a direct connection to Indian siddhas, their ordination and vajrayana lineages all come from the Sakya, Jonang and Shangpa Kagyu traditions. It is only at a political level certain Gelukpas were sectarian. Their actual teachings are quite diverse and ecumenical.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Josef

Post by Josef »

Karma Dorje wrote:Of course, the Gelukpa themselves are very non-sectarian in the teachings they promote. Being the only school without a direct connection to Indian siddhas, their ordination and vajrayana lineages all come from the Sakya, Jonang and Shangpa Kagyu traditions. It is only at a political level certain Gelukpas were sectarian. Their actual teachings are quite diverse and ecumenical.
How is this relevant to the Guru Yoga of Tsongkhapa practice?
We all know the origins of the Gelug practices and that there is some political baggage, those are not the subjects of this thread however and really have no place in the discussion.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

My comment are apropos an earlier poster's comments about "indoctrinating" new students using "sectarian" practices. How you read a good faith post that points out that the teachings of the Geluk school (which I practice) are of broad provenance and that any political sectarian issues that occurred in the past are not an essential part of the teachings as some sort of slur is beyond me and I can only attribute to the wonders of the Internet.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Gelug”