Way to Buddhahood

Way to Buddhahood

Postby Will » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Ven. Huifeng has an excellent outline of this book and all of the verses Ven. Master Yin Shun wrote:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... UyMDc3YjEw

The book and outline owe something to the lamrim tradition, but I was wondering if the ancient Chinese tradition had any sort of native 'stages of the path' teachings?
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Astus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 am

It's called the "panjiao" 判教, classification of doctrines. Different schools had different versions of course.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Will » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:08 am

Astus wrote:It's called the "panjiao" 判教, classification of doctrines. Different schools had different versions of course.


Thanks Astus. Although I am interested in stages of practice, not so much "classification of doctrines". Any influential examples before 900CE; any translated into English?
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Huifeng » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 am

Will wrote:
Astus wrote:It's called the "panjiao" 判教, classification of doctrines. Different schools had different versions of course.


Thanks Astus. Although I am interested in stages of practice, not so much "classification of doctrines". Any influential examples before 900CE; any translated into English?


The Tiantai system lays out stages fairly clearly. One of the major meditation texts by Master Zhiyi is called the "Explanation of the Graduated Dharma of the Perfection of Meditation" 釋禪波羅蜜次第法門. That's 6th cty. Very, very influential.

~~ Huifeng
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Huifeng » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:56 am

Will wrote:Ven. Huifeng has an excellent outline of this book and all of the verses Ven. Master Yin Shun wrote:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... UyMDc3YjEw

The book and outline owe something to the lamrim tradition, but I was wondering if the ancient Chinese tradition had any sort of native 'stages of the path' teachings?


Oh, and of course, thanks for this link to the file on my blog.
The blog itself can be found here: http://prajnacara.blogspot.com/

~~ Huifeng
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Will » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:19 am

Huifeng wrote:
Will wrote:
Astus wrote:It's called the "panjiao" 判教, classification of doctrines. Different schools had different versions of course.


Thanks Astus. Although I am interested in stages of practice, not so much "classification of doctrines". Any influential examples before 900CE; any translated into English?


The Tiantai system lays out stages fairly clearly. One of the major meditation texts by Master Zhiyi is called the "Explanation of the Graduated Dharma of the Perfection of Meditation" 釋禪波羅蜜次第法門. That's 6th cty. Very, very influential.

~~ Huifeng


Thanks Venerable. Just to see what would happen I put the Chinese title into Google translate and did not find it understandable. Is there any online (free or not) classical Chinese translation program that does at least give one the gist - in English?
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Dharma Atma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Guys, is there any difference between words Buddhaship and Buddhahood? Or it's the same? :shrug:
Qui êtes-vous ?
User avatar
Dharma Atma
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Indrajala » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Dharma Atma wrote:Guys, is there any difference between words Buddhaship and Buddhahood? Or it's the same? :shrug:


These are newly created English terms, but yes they would be identical.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 5914
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Nepal

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Astus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Will wrote:Thanks Astus. Although I am interested in stages of practice, not so much "classification of doctrines". Any influential examples before 900CE; any translated into English?


There is Dushun's meditation manual, translated by T. Cleary in Entry into the Inconceivable. It uses stages of meditation practice in line with the classification of doctrines. Actually, the classification itself can be understood as what follows what, just as in lamrim.

Dharma Atma wrote:Guys, is there any difference between words Buddhaship and Buddhahood? Or it's the same? :shrug:


It's easy to tell the difference.

Image
Image
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Dharma Atma » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Huseng wrote:yes they would be identical

Astus wrote:It's easy to tell the difference

:twothumbsup:
Thank you for the answers, but I have to say that they don't answer the question.
Intuitively I tend to agree with Huseng... But I don't know for sure.
Qui êtes-vous ?
User avatar
Dharma Atma
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Will » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Dharma Atma wrote:Guys, is there any difference between words Buddhaship and Buddhahood? Or it's the same? :shrug:


They are identical, but 'buddhaship' is not found in any modern dictionaries I have checked. It was used by HC Warren in his translation of the Jataka Tales. He wrote, for example, "the attainment of buddhaship" - meaning 'buddhahood'.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Huifeng » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 am

Will wrote:Thanks Venerable. Just to see what would happen I put the Chinese title into Google translate and did not find it understandable. Is there any online (free or not) classical Chinese translation program that does at least give one the gist - in English?


Hi Will,

That's probably because most of the name is a phonetic transliteration, not a translation of the meaning.
As for such online translation programs... if you can find <DDB Access>, that should give something slightly better.
But for titles, just use a good Chinese-English Buddhist dictionary.

~~ Huifeng
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby plwk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 am

I recall in a class last year which studied this book and an elderly man (known for his provocation) took the book and tossed it on the table space in front of him...
Narrow minded..... if everyone followed what he stated, there goes the economy and finance.... unrealistic... out of touch with reality....

I merely smiled... :tongue:
plwk
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Huifeng » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 am

Am presently preparing class notes for the coming semester, and found some very nice resources for the study of "The Way to Buddhahood". The first is "The Way to Buddhahood, Teaching Materials Compilation" (《成佛之道》教材彙編) by Ven. Qingde (釋清德), which has other materials mainly from Ven. Yin Shun for the whole of the original book, verse by verse. Another is Ven. Hou Guan's (釋厚觀) lectures that he gave at Fu Yen Vihara (福嚴精舍) a few years ago. Again, the whole book verse by verse, with more materials for each part, though here most of the materials are primary sources from sutra and sastra. Sorry, this is all in Chinese, but thought I'd share nonetheless! :smile:

~~ Huifeng
User avatar
Huifeng
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Way to Buddhahood

Postby Dharma Atma » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Will wrote:They are identical, but 'buddhaship' is not found in any modern dictionaries I have checked. It was used by HC Warren in his translation of the Jataka Tales. He wrote, for example, "the attainment of buddhaship" - meaning 'buddhahood'.

Hmm... Thank you. I'll think about it :good:
Qui êtes-vous ?
User avatar
Dharma Atma
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Russia


Return to East Asian Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>