Buddha Boy - Ram Bahadur Bomjon

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Buddha Boy - Ram Bahadur Bomjon

Postby Distorted » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I wonder if he got what he wanted?
What's your thoughts on Buddha Boy?
http://www.paldendorje.com/en/

"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Distorted

Re: Buddha Boy - Ram Bahadur Bomjon

Postby Distorted » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:41 am

No love for Buddha Boy. I don't have a personal opinion on the subject. Just was curious the thoughts or feelings about this with others.

:smile:

Thanks,
- Distorted
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Distorted

Postby Mr. G » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Distorted wrote:I don't have a personal opinion on the subject.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Distorted » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Distorted wrote:I don't have a personal opinion on the subject.

:cheers:
Distorted

Postby Dechen Norbu » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:08 pm

It's an interesting case if it isn't a hoax. The information available doesn't allow me to understand how much is true, how much is not and what's the depth of the insight of the boy (that probably is becoming an adult now). Nevertheless it's uncommon to see a someone with a life experience like that and that helps making the case interesting.
Dechen Norbu

Postby catmoon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 am

I don't know what to make of this fellow. He certainly is an accomplished meditator, but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere as a teacher.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Will » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:25 am

catmoon wrote:I don't know what to make of this fellow. He certainly is an accomplished meditator, but doesn't seem to be getting anywhere as a teacher.

Why do you say that? He has hundreds of followers around the world, plus many local Tibetans & Nepalese.

http://www.dharmasangha.org.np/en/Conte ... ay20-.html
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby catmoon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 am

Well, who knows, maybe it's the beginning of great things. I'll wait and see.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Distorted » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 am

*Edited* (Got to have that PMA) I think it would be great to see good positive results come out of this. Time will tell :popcorn:
Last edited by Distorted on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distorted

Postby AlexanderS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 am

He has attracted too much attention for me not to be sceptic. No doubt he is A dilligent meditator though!
AlexanderS

Dharma Sangha

Postby Will » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 am

Just an update on Dharma Sangha as he is now called; also a new website:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Re: Dharma Sangha

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 am

Will wrote:Just an update on Dharma Sangha as he is now called; also a new website:

http://www.dharmasangha.info/

Hmm. Dharma Sangha is such a strange name.

On 11 April, 2012, at 1:32 pm Local time Maha Sambodhi Dharmasangha guruji took his Wholesome food and water. Wholesome food and water was offered by his assitant monk named Buddha.

Assistant monk named Buddha??
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

- Leto II, the God Emperor
pueraeternus

Postby Tilopa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:33 am

pueraeternus wrote: Hmm. Dharma Sangha is such a strange name.

Possibly but he is taken very seriously by Lamas in India and Nepal and has a huge following, especially among the Tamang people in Kathmandu.

Translation of the very common name Sangye.
Tilopa

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 am

Tilopa wrote:
pueraeternus wrote: Hmm. Dharma Sangha is such a strange name.

Possibly but he is taken very seriously by Lamas in India and Nepal and has a huge following, especially among the Tamang people in Kathmandu.

Intriguing. He certainly seems to be a great kusali. Has any senior Tibetan lamas publicly came out of support for him?

Tilopa wrote:

Translation of the very common name Sangye.

Ah, that makes more sense.
When I set out to lead humanity along my Golden Path I promised a lesson their bones would remember. I know a profound pattern humans deny with words even while their actions affirm it. They say they seek security and quiet, conditions they call peace. Even as they speak, they create seeds of turmoil and violence.

pueraeternus

Postby Tilopa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 am

pueraeternus wrote: Intriguing. He certainly seems to be a great kusali. Has any senior Tibetan lamas publicly came out of support for him?

I'm not aware of any published endorsements but things don't usually work that way in this part of the world except when there is the issue of authenticating some tulkus. But definitely there are senior lamas who have very high regard for him.
Tilopa

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 am

Tilopa wrote:
pueraeternus wrote: Intriguing. He certainly seems to be a great kusali. Has any senior Tibetan lamas publicly came out of support for him?

I'm not aware of any published endorsements but things don't usually work that way in this part of the world except when there is the issue of authenticating some tulkus. But definitely there are senior lamas who have very high regard for him.

Thanks for the info.

pueraeternus

Postby Seishin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 am

Whether he is legitimate or not I think it's sad how he is being peddled as Buddhist propaganda. It makes his stories even more less believable IMHO.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Tilopa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:57 am

What a strange thing to say. He's highly regarded as a Buddhist teacher. Where's the propaganda.....or did I miss something?
Tilopa

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 am

It's sad that a circus has developed around him, with shows of apparently living without eating, sitting in fire etc.

What is his motivation for this, I wonder?

He may well be the real deal but what is he doing impressing villagers with 'magic' shows?

He desires followers and offers himself as someone special to be followed, inventing vows etc.

'Propaganda' is a word with no negative connotation, it merely means actions aimed at changing a person's view.

It may be propaganda and it may be marketing, and yes, it is sad, because that may obscure his acceptance as a genuine teacher. On the other hand, if he is a faker, he should be exposed. I am very unimpressed with the circus shows so far.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Caz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 am

He certainly looks very interesting :D
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Next

Return to Open Dharma