Zen Master Subul

Astus
Former staff member

Zen Master Subul

Post by Astus »

A famous living Korean teacher, not so known outside his homeland.
Website with teachings and poems: Anguk Zen Center

DON'T SEEK NO-MIND

You will feel as if the heavy load were off your shoulders
and cast off your skin
all of a sudden like a thunderbolt from the blue sky.
Who could express this joy of dharma
you feel through the whole body?

However,
you should neither indulge in the feeling
nor be dragged about by arising thoughts.

Don't wander in search of something in vain.
Time will be ripe enough of itself
for everything to reveal itself as it is
if you pass time like this.

On acquaintance
you are no-mind itself from the beginning.
Don't seek no-mind.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
ground

Re: Zen Master Subul

Post by ground »

Question: "What is called Dharma?"

Answer: "Mind does not arise in accordance with Dharma, and mind does not extinguish in accordance with Dharma. This is called Dharma."

Question: "What is called abiding in Dharma?"

Answer: "Neither abiding in abiding, nor abiding in non-abiding, but abiding according to Dharma - this is called abiding in Dharma."

excerpt from The Bodhidharma Anthology, J. L. Broughton
White Lotus

Re: Zen Master Subul

Post by White Lotus »

you cant say what dhamma/dharma is, it is beyond words, however it can be seen when it is seen within and without. this seeing within and without, there is no seeing nor nothing to see and yet it is still seen. the seeing within and without are the same. since there is actually no mind to see, nor person to see anything, nor anything to be seen, we speak of no mind (wu hsin).

the great 6th Patriarch of Zen, Hui Neing/Wei Lang introduced the name no mind, this was in accordance with his experience of things. this table is no mind, the computer is no mind, no mind is typing. no mind is true nature/dhamma.

when you look within you find not a thing. this ordinary daily feeling our own nature. after seeing own nature you become familiar with the nature of external objects, true nature and from there you recognise no mind.

no mind reveals itself after nature is seen. they are one. the purpose of the path is to see that there is no mind and this no mind is what we call Emptiness, Universal Mind and Noble truth.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Zen”