YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why so little donations to Pakistan? - Dhamma Wheel

Why so little donations to Pakistan?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Why so little donations to Pakistan?

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 am

Don't know if you heard it, but there is a flood catastrophe in Pakistan that has killed more people than the Tsunami and the Haiti earthquake together.

And with Cholera breaking out, there may soon be many more.

Whilst lots of donations flooded into Haiti and the Tzunami area, support for Pakistan looks poor so far.

What do you think could nbe the reason?

And are you willing to help?
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Why so little donations to Pakistan?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 am

Greetings,

Aid begins to flow to flood-ravaged Pakistan
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 1TpPG8YCPg

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:30 am

Here is a link from Avaaz to send messages to goverments to take more actions and also to donate a bit if you like.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/pakistan_ne ... 549&v=6971

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 am

The UK government has pledged 32 million sterling ( approx 39 million euro ) . Which dwarfs the contribution of any other individual European nation.
Nick Clegg the Deputy prime Minster has ackowledged the slowness of the worlds response.
The elephant in the room which is spoken of informally, but not so far acknowledged officially, is that western governments have successfully branded Pakistan as a rogue nation which is harbouring Bin Laden and the Taliban..and as a result many people of good will are keeping their wallets and purses closed.
I am not of course condoning this attitude but I think it represents an accurate view.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 pm

A footnote...the BBC has just conducted an informal poll and large numbers of the public interviewed cited corrupt officials and the indirect funding of the Taliban as reasons for not contributing. There were a number of variations on the theme of their fear that the money they give being used to fund the "insurgency" in Afghanistan which so far has killed almost 400 British soldiers...
Whether the case or not the British press is frequently portraying The Pakistani Government as being complicit with the Taliban.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi Peter

Didn't wikileaks recently reveal a massive leak of US defence documents that demonstrated the complicity of the Pakistani government with the Taliban? I didn't think it was a matter of perception being massaged by the Press but a reflection of what was actually going on.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Not that I am condoning leaving turning away in Pakistan's hour of need, but I think there is merit for the argument that because of the connection between the Pakistani government and the Taliban, there maybe reluctance to provide aid by some governments and some people.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Tex

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Ben makes a good point. I personally know many Americans who will not send one cent to any nation that trains Islamist terrorists. That is unfortuante in a situation like this where there are innocents suffering, but since 9/11 that's how many people here think.

The US government, however, will doubtless send a great deal of aid, just as it did after the earthquake in Iran in 2003 and the earthquake in Pakistan in 2005.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Basically its the same situation here in the UK Tex. And many UK citizens are already complaining about the goverments donation...

Fede

Postby Fede » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I will be the first to admit that while I have freely donated to other causes, my wallet in this case, is also staying tightly shut. For precisely the reasons Peter cites.
There, I said it.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I wonder if the economies of so many countries are also part of the problem.
With many governments introducing austerity measures,many people appear to be holding onto their money.
Another thought I had the other day was that after the earthquake in Pakistan,many ordinary pakistanis I saw interviewed appeared to be putting the west down for the amount of money donated.Perhaps some people who gave what they could were a bit put off by this attitude.
One last thought is that since the earthquake,I have also seen effigies of western leaders and flags of countries,such as the U.S.A. and G.B. being burnt on the streets.Maybe folks don't like this. :shrug:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:25 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Tex

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

U.S. has pledged $150 million so far. Hopefully the Navy can be used to transport supplies as well.

CNN says 1500 dead and over 4 million displaced. The area under water is approximately the size of Italy.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Return to “Lounge”