ChNN's pronunciation

Sherlock

ChNN's pronunciation

Post by Sherlock »

I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?

Also, is his Tibetan pronunciation is more-or-less standard? I think the pronunciation handbook published by SSI said that "ky", "gy" in standard pronunciation were more or less "g" + "y" combined together, but Rinpoche pronounces it like Hanyu Pinyin "j", and going through Tournadre's textbook with recordings, it's just like Rinpoche's pronunciation. However, according to the book "dzogchen" is pronounced with an audible "k" while Rinpoche seems to just pronounce it with a long vowel.
Malcolm

Re: ChNN's pronunciation

Post by Malcolm »

Sherlock wrote:I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?
He studied Sanskrit at Derge, and also has taken a keen interest in languages his whole life.

His pronunciation is Derge dialect from East Tibet.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Namdrol wrote:
Sherlock wrote:I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?
He studied Sanskrit at Derge, and also has taken a keen interest in languages his whole life.

...with a wonderful tinge of Italian thrown in there somewhere :namaste:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mindyourmind wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Yes, that is true.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
heart

Post by heart »

mindyourmind wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

More than a tinge, his Italian is flawless.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

padma norbu wrote:When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.
Khandro Rinpoche is the only one I know that is speaking really great English. It for sure makes the message come through easier, she is a knockout.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Yes, she is fantastic!! I heard about her through this forum and am blown away by her Youtubes.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

H.H. Sakya Trizin speaks English incredibly well.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Paul

Post by Paul »

heart wrote:
padma norbu wrote:When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.
Khandro Rinpoche is the only one I know that is speaking really great English. It for sure makes the message come through easier, she is a knockout.

/magnus
Khandro Rinpoche's is indeed excellent. As is Dzongsar Khyentse's english.

Mingyur Rinpoche also has very good english, only very rarely useing a translator for some complex words.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Dzogchen”