How would you translate this sentence?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Josef

How would you translate this sentence?

Post by Josef »

gnyis snang ‘khrul b’i sems chan
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Re: How would you translate this sentence?

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

phpBB [video]
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Nangwa wrote:gnyis snang ‘khrul b’i sems chan
if its this, a bit mis-spelled:

"gnyis snang 'khrul ba'i sems can"

it could mean something like "sentient beings of confused dualistic appearances".

if its from a mind-only text it would be referring to the dualistic appearance of mind appearing as both subject and object.

need more context. need Lopon.

(BTW "chan" is soupy cooked grain like congee.)
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Josef

Post by Josef »

gad rgyangs wrote:
Nangwa wrote:gnyis snang ‘khrul b’i sems chan
if its this, a bit mis-spelled:

"gnyis snang 'khrul ba'i sems can"

it could mean something like "sentient beings of confused dualistic appearances".

if its from a mind-only text it would be referring to the dualistic appearance of mind appearing as both subject and object.

need more context. need Lopon.

(BTW "chan" is soupy cooked grain like congee.)
You did catch the mis-spellings.
Your translation is similar to what I was thinking.
Thanks for contributing, I am curious to see how others would interpret the statement.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

I think "sentient beings with confused dualistic appearances".
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sentient beings of deluded dualistic vision/appearances
Josef

Post by Josef »

Thanks guys.
This is fun.

Return to “Language”