Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Mr. G

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Mr. G »

Eastern Standard Times:

Event: Closed Webcast with Choegyal Namkhai Norbu from Tashigar South
Date: February 3rd-7th, 2012.
Website: http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tashigar Sur Retreat
3rd -7th Feb. 2012

Timezone: Argentina GMT -3 hours (check argentina's time here)

The teaching of this retreat is Guru Dorje Drolod, an
important Terma teaching of Great Dzogchen Master Adzom
Drugpa Rinpoche.

CLOSED WEBCAST: Membership in the Dzogchen Community is required.

3rd Feb.

4-6pm. - Introduction of this retreat teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga.

Conway, MA: 2-4pm.

4th Feb.

10-12am. - Teaching of Guru Dorje Drolod in Anu Yoga way.

Conway, MA: 8-10am.

5th Feb.

10-12am. - Donwang of Guru Dorje Drolod and the instruction for doing the practice of Dorje Drolod in daily life.

6th Feb.

10-12am. - Instructions for the essence practice of Dorje Drolod in AtiYoga way, tridlung of Simple and Short Gana Puja.

7th Feb.

10-12am. - Advices for the daily life practices and some tridlungs of collective practices and for personal protection practices.

Conway, MA: 8-10am
4-6pm. - Gana Puja for the full Moon and the end of this retreat and so on.

Conway, MA: 2-4pm.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

tomamundsen wrote:Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community? My intuition tells me that much confusion might result, but I'd like to hear otherwise as I have felt a connection to ChNNR and his teachings.

Thank you.
Yes, it does make sense - if you feel drawn to it, and it wouldn't go against the wishes of your lama. I myself am practicing ngondro, and have a teacher who doesn't give Dzogchen pointing-out until after students have completed ngondro. And I also participate in ChNNR's webcasts, and am a DC member. I agree that ngondro, for many of us, is important - getting Dzogchen teachings in the meantime, from an amazing master such as ChNNR definitely can't hurt, IMO. As far as practice, I don't do regular practice from DC, but I try to integrate ChNNR's teachings on guru yoga, and apply it in my ngondro as much as I can.
mint

Post by mint »

dakini_boi wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community? My intuition tells me that much confusion might result, but I'd like to hear otherwise as I have felt a connection to ChNNR and his teachings.

Thank you.
Yes, it does make sense - if you feel drawn to it, and it wouldn't go against the wishes of your lama.
...or you could see me as a textbook example of what could go wrong.
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

tomamundsen wrote: Well, from my understanding, ChNNR doesn't have his students do ngondro and just directly starts teaching Dzogchen. However, the lama I'm practicing with teaches anyone who isn't going to die within a short period of time to do a ngondro and holds off on the Dzogchen teachings. He gave an analogy about how you need a special jewel container to hold a snow lion's milk and how the ngondro transforms us into this special jewel container so that we can receive Dzogchen teachings without them just immediately slipping through our grasp.
Ngondro and Dzogchen teachings are 100% compatible with each other. You can do Ngondro *as* your Dzogchen practice. Its not like just because you learn from ChNNR, you must do the practices he gives or else! Its all about the attitude with which you approach it. If you approach it without attachment, and just want to learn what its about, even if you don't understand what Dzogchen is teaching, you will have that information in your head. Then one day when you do understand, everything you've learned will make sense. There is also the possibility that you will understand it perfectly, and this will do nothing but enrich your Ngondro practice.

HH Dudjom Rinpoche comments on their relationship:

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... gondro.htm

What you do not want to create is the following- attachment to understanding or learning Dzogchen, a feeling of guilt generated by "going against" what your teacher advises, hiding anything from your teacher, confusion regarding which one is "more true" than the other, confusion regarding what Dzogchen is or means, distraction from your daily Ngondro practice. If you can avoid these things which I see as being the biggest potential pitfalls based on what you are saying, then I see no harm in learning Dzogchen, and the potential of much benefit.
heart

Post by heart »

Thank you.
ChNN emphasize Guru Yoga, Ngondro is mainly Guru Yoga if you take a close look. Also, many Gurus do direct introduction before Ngondro in the Nyingma. The question is not what you practice you are doing but if ChNN really push your buttons. If you already found a Guru that does push your buttons it might just be confusing.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

Thank you.
Hi Tom,

I can understand how you feel about this. One of ChNN's books literally dropped into my hands 29 years ago, I read all I could about it--and had a tremendous desire to meet him and take teachings from him after that first moment. However, I was involved with another tradition, and delayed meeting ChNN for 20 years, more out of a sense of guilt and duty to my tradition than anything else. I eventually met others both in and out of my tradition who had gone to ChNN. I noted that they had not created any obvious obstacles, and they seemed to really have received great benefit. I eventually got over my inhibition, joined DC 9 years ago, and took introduction within the first year.

In brief, the experience has been all good. More than all good. And there has been no problems with reconciling any prior commitments, at least not so far.

I'd say, give it a go.
krodha

Post by krodha »

tomamundsen wrote: Well, from my understanding, ChNNR doesn't have his students do ngondro and just directly starts teaching Dzogchen. However, the lama I'm practicing with teaches anyone who isn't going to die within a short period of time to do a ngondro and holds off on the Dzogchen teachings.
Being that one could die at any moment this idea of holding off on dzogchen unless someone is declared terminally ill is a strange idea in my opinion. Any of us could die within a short period of time... today... tomorrow... a month from now... not everyone has the luxury of knowing when death will come for them. If you have the interest in the dzogchen teachings then you're ready in my opinion, why delay the inevitable?

Also being that you have access to ChNN's teachings, again I'd say take advantage. Rinpoche's health has unfortunately been a bit of a rollercoaster the past couple years... all of our time is limited and the opportunity to receive his teachings is not guaranteed to last or endure through your ngondro. There's no harm in listening to him now, it can only be beneficial.
tomamundsen wrote:He gave an analogy about how you need a special jewel container to hold a snow lion's milk and how the ngondro transforms us into this special jewel container so that we can receive Dzogchen teachings without them just immediately slipping through our grasp.
Part of the ngondro is to show your dedication and genuine interest in the teachings. The ability to complete it shows maturity and readiness to understand Dzogchen. Otherwise an immature mind with no discipline may interpret dzogchen as a green light to throw caution to the wind and act however they'd like and/or fall into nihilism. One has to be ripe to properly receive these teachings, so look at ngondro as assured and expedited ripening. The special jewel container is discipline, maturity, dedication, compassion and an overall readiness to know Dzogchen for the benefit of oneself and all other beings. Again your interest shows readiness in my opinion, just listen with a humble mind and open heart and you cannot go wrong.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Thank you.
I don't think you'll have any issues tom. All your teachers are unified in Guru Yoga.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Wow, that generated a lot more responses than I anticipated! Thanks so much to everyone for the replies.

Just as a follow-up, my lama is totally fine with me receiving teachings from other teachers, including ChNNR. He also said that he is a very fine master or something along those lines. :)
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

I've now got an email saying the webcast has changed to being open.
florin

Post by florin »

yes....that's right...open webcast :thumbsup:
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Did the webcast just stop for anyone else?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

Mr. G wrote:Did the webcast just stop for anyone else?
yes, have tried audio, video, mobile. no luck
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

video yes ... not audio
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

simhanada wrote:
Mr. G wrote:Did the webcast just stop for anyone else?
yes, have tried audio, video, mobile. no luck
:(
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

video and audio back! :twothumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Great teaching today! :bow:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Hi

I just managed to listen to it on audio, but couldn't get video.
Can someone post the link to the video page, is it this one http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
I could only get it off this http://www.freezecast.com/webcast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; using the 'old system'

If i can't get the video to work fro the donwang, is it ok to receive it by audio?

Sorry.....but it's my first day :smile:
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

MrDistracted wrote:Hi

I just managed to listen to it on audio, but couldn't get video.
Can someone post the link to the video page, is it this one http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
I could only get it off this http://www.freezecast.com/webcast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; using the 'old system'

If i can't get the video to work fro the donwang, is it ok to receive it by audio?

Sorry.....but it's my first day :smile:
yes, thats the correct video link.

I always seem to have better connection using the mobile link on my phone for some reason.

by audio is fine
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Did he do any sort of transmission today? As usual, I could not keep myself from falling asleep. Took the day off work just to do this and I find myself half asleep about 15 minutes in. Royal struggle to remain awake for the next 2 hours and I did not succeed no matter what position I was in.

Didn't really sound to me from what I heard that he had given a transmission, though.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron

Return to “Dzogchen”