Teachings of the Platform Sutra. Prajna Ch 2.

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
White Lotus

Teachings of the Platform Sutra. Prajna Ch 2.

Post by White Lotus »

:namaste: The McRae translation has the teaching of Hui Neng (in quotations):
p. 29. The fundamental nature is Buddha. There is no other buddha apart from this nature.
since you cannot escape from your fundamental nature, every moment of every day, why are people seeking what they have already got?
p. 30. When the one mind is true, all [things] are true.
how could anything be false. all is the dharmakaya. all and every teaching is perfect suchness. everyone is a buddha and expounds the law. having buddha's nature how could you not all be buddhas?
p. 31. To practice in every moment of thought is called the true nature.
your very existence is that of the buddha, how could you not with your perfect natural awareness see things just as they are. without complication. the tea is a cup of tea.
p. 31. Good friends, ordinary people are buddhas, and the afflictions are Bodhi.
how could you not be a buddha? is not everyone pricelessly special, just as they are? whether good or bad?
p. 33. When one is Enlightened for [even] a single moment, the sentient beings are buddhas.
since there is no thing to realize, and since all are no different, all beings are buddhas. having realized that there is no thing to realize, one realizes No Dharma and No action, having had it all the time anyway!

with love, from, White Lotus. x

love sings brightly,
its given to you on a plate (free)
you always had it!
just Be, how can you not.
what need to know yourself,
you already do. simply
perfectly.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
White Lotus

Re: Teachings of the Platform Sutra. Prajna Ch 2.

Post by White Lotus »

:namaste: ps. if you are studying the Platform Sutra, please do feel free to place comments and questions in this thread. i have started with Chapter 2 on Prajna (wisdom).

White Lotus.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Sorry to be dim. Where was Chapter 1?
"The Dharma is huge." - Rael
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

:namaste: why dont you create a thread for chapter 1? (if you want to). Chapter 1 is the background biography, not explicitly the teaching of Hui Neng.

best wishes, White Lotus.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

White Lotus wrote::namaste: why dont you create a thread for chapter 1? (if you want to). Chapter 1 is the background biography, not explicitly the teaching of Hui Neng.

best wishes, White Lotus.
Ah! That's ok. I remember the story - and I re-read it last night. Carry on!

-M
"The Dharma is huge." - Rael
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Meindzeye, some more thoughts from the dear old master...
McRae p35/prajna.
I transmit only the dharma of seeing the nature... It is only the teaching of seeing the nature which stupid people cannot comprehend.
p33/prajna.
If you recognise your own mind and see the nature, you will definitely accomplish the enlightenment of Buddhahood.
p38/prajna.
If you recongnise your fundamental mind, this is fundamental emancipation.
p37/prajna.
when false and correct are completley destroyed, the nature of bodhi is just so.
what could be more simple. (or more complicated for an egoistic mind).

best wishes, White Lotus. x

seeing prajna i see myself... just as i am.
this is it! just so. so.
is not everyone perfectly enlightened?!

Return to “Sūtra Studies”