Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 pm 

Colorado's Laotian community woke up on Monday to a terrible tragedy: The morning news shows kept showing breaking news footage from their helicopters circling over a raging fire in Westminster, off 108th and Wadsworth. The Lao Buddhist Temple of Colorado was burning down, the flames and smoke engulfing the building in less than half an hour as firefighters poured water from their bucket trucks in the sub-zero chill of dawn.

I have a special place in my heart for the Laotian community, so my heart broke along with theirs as I watched the coverage of their loss.

Read More Here...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:07 pm 

i too have a special place in my heart for the Lao people. thank you for your post.
best wishes, Tom.

in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 pm 
Former staff member

From the article:

Quote:
The community has established the Lao Buddhist Temple Fire Relief Fund at 1stBank, a Colorado-based bank chain, and is accepting donations to help rebuild the temple. You can find the nearest 1stBank location here, or call Sy Pong at 720-210-7555 or Maly at 720-217-6142.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:15 pm 

Monk’s cancer hastens efforts to rebuild Westminster Buddhist temple razed in December fire

WESTMINSTER — There is more of a sense of urgency now among the Laotian community to rebuild the Lao Buddhist Temple of Colorado, which was destroyed by fire in December.

Flames almost claimed the life of Ounkham Vuennasack, the head monk who lived there. He suffered smoke inhalation, mild burns and frostbite.

Vuennasack recovered, but two weeks after the fire, he complained of being dizzy, and doctors discovered a cancerous tumor in the right side of his brain, said Maly Khanthaphixay, whose father was among the key founders of the temple, near West 108th Avenue and Dover Street.

Read More Here...