ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

AilurusFulgens

Re: ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Post by AilurusFulgens »

Namdrol wrote:One becomes a rudra much more rapidly than other practices. It is a dangerous practice for one's ego.

The guardians of Drollo are the worldly eight classes, in general.

There is nothing more wrathful in any school.
Thank you for the reply, Namdrol. Just one last question in this respect: are termas the exclusive source for all existant Dorje Drollo sadhanas or are there also other sources - like for instance tantras transmitted directly by Guru Rinpoche and coming down through various unbroken lineages i.e. sources, which are NOT termas?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AilurusFulgens wrote:
Namdrol wrote:One becomes a rudra much more rapidly than other practices. It is a dangerous practice for one's ego.

Thank you for the reply, Namdrol. Just one last question in this respect: are termas the exclusive source for all existant Dorje Drollo sadhanas or are there also other sources - like for instance tantras transmitted directly by Guru Rinpoche and coming down through various unbroken lineages i.e. sources, which are NOT termas?

Termas are the exclusive source.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

would such or similar dangers inhere also in practices that invoke Dorje Drollo, such as Trungpa's _Sadhana of Mahamudra_? (as opposed to a practice in which one takes the same as a yidam)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jikan wrote:

would such or similar dangers inhere also in practices that invoke Dorje Drollo, such as Trungpa's _Sadhana of Mahamudra_? (as opposed to a practice in which one takes the same as a yidam)
The sadhana of mahamudra is a yidam practice.

N
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks, Malcolm. That clarifies.
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

I'm very interested in watching the webcasts for this retreat. I might join the Dzogchen Community for this purpose. I have attended teachings and watched webcasts before and had some contact with DC members in my area. I'm a little undecided as to whether it is okay to join just for one teaching. How easy is it to join and how much of a commitment is it? Can one leave when one wants or is there a minimum period when one must be a member; a year, for example? I'm not saying that I plan to only join for a short period, but I was just wondering.

I've received a Dorje Drollo empowerment and attended group practice, but I've never received much teaching on it, and I would like to understand the practice better and I hope this would be a good way to do that.

I've been interested in the discussion here and understand that the practice carries certain risks, particularly if you use Dorje Drollo as an extension of your ego rather than to subdue it. Is there more to the danger than this? All yidams must carry some risk if "devine pride" is confused with ordinary pride, I suppose.

Previously, on E-Sangha, Namdrol said that Drollo is the most appropriate yidam for this time. I think he was quoting Kunzang Dechen Lingpa. Is Drollo's wrathfulness the reason for this? I was also wondering why he is not practiced more by Nyingma monasteries and groups. Vajrakilaya seems to be most widely practiced in Nyingma circles for wrathful purposes but if Drollo is more wrathful why not him?

Also, Namdrol, you previously mentioned translating a Drollo namthar. Have you managed to do this and is it available?

thanks.
Pero

Post by Pero »

michaelb wrote:I'm very interested in watching the webcasts for this retreat. I might join the Dzogchen Community for this purpose. I have attended teachings and watched webcasts before and had some contact with DC members in my area. I'm a little undecided as to whether it is okay to join just for one teaching. How easy is it to join and how much of a commitment is it? Can one leave when one wants or is there a minimum period when one must be a member; a year, for example? I'm not saying that I plan to only join for a short period, but I was just wondering.
Well you pay the membership for the whole year. If you don't renew the membership next year you'll no longer be a member. There is no commitment for being a member other than paying the fee. I'm not sure how easy it is to join since I've joined five years ago and so don't remember, but I don't think it's difficult hehe. You should check out the DC website for the country you're in. Some people here joined more recently so perhaps they'll chip in. It would probably be good to hurry though, Friday is not far off.
I've received a Dorje Drollo empowerment and attended group practice, but I've never received much teaching on it, and I would like to understand the practice better and I hope this would be a good way to do that.
I'm afraid I can't advise you on that, no idea about this teaching besides what was said in this thread. Except I think Rinpoche said there are many volumes of this teaching so he will teach the essence of it.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pero wrote: It would probably be good to hurry though, Friday is not far off.
And definitely advise them you need your login ID in time for the webcast.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Post by Josef »

Looking forward to this retreat. The TBRC Adzom Drukpa Drollo files are quite substantial.
This should be a very interesting retreat of a very powerful practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Are there wrathful emanations of Guru Rinpoche that are not Dorje Drolo?
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Sure,

Guru Drakpo/Drakphur and Senge Dradog.... and numerous other Terma variations.
s.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

heehee, I should do this retreat just so you can all see just how bad the results can be... but, seriously, thanks again for the info. Will steer clear of this one for sure.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
krodha

Post by krodha »

padma norbu wrote:heehee, I should do this retreat just so you can all see just how bad the results can be... but, seriously, thanks again for the info. Will steer clear of this one for sure.
Why steer clear? It's not often opportunities like this come up, even if you receive the wang, lung and tri and don't do the practice at this point in time it's still good to receive the teaching... you may change your mind in the future and then you're already locked and loaded. Not everyone has access to teachings like this, or teachers like ChNN, you have the opportunity, I'd say take advantage of it. Authentic teachers are few and far between and life is delicate and can be lost at any moment, now is the time!
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Mr. G wrote:
Pero wrote: It would probably be good to hurry though, Friday is not far off.
And definitely advise them you need your login ID in time for the webcast.
I'm a Dzogchen community member from Singapore and I attended one retreat Rinpoche held here last year but never got round to requesting a login for the webcasts until two weeks ago. I emailed them but I didn't know my membership number and said so, there was no reply. I emailed them again last week after finding my membership number and there's still been no reply, anyone know what I can do? I really want to listen to this webcast.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

asunthatneversets wrote:
padma norbu wrote:heehee, I should do this retreat just so you can all see just how bad the results can be... but, seriously, thanks again for the info. Will steer clear of this one for sure.
Why steer clear? It's not often opportunities like this come up, even if you receive the wang, lung and tri and don't do the practice at this point in time it's still good to receive the teaching... you may change your mind in the future and then you're already locked and loaded. Not everyone has access to teachings like this, or teachers like ChNN, you have the opportunity, I'd say take advantage of it. Authentic teachers are few and far between and life is delicate and can be lost at any moment, now is the time!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

michaelb wrote:Apparently, I have to pay by cheque or set up a standing order. I don't have a cheque book any more. Who does? Why they can't use Papal or credit card payments is beyond me.
What are you talking about? I paid online by credit card.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Oh, well according to the UK website, cheque and standing order are the only two ways to pay. Maybe other places differ? I was hoping for a totally automated system so I could join last minute, maybe like Dharmasun or something.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

michaelb wrote:Oh, well according to the UK website, cheque and standing order are the only two ways to pay. Maybe other places differ? I was hoping for a totally automated system so I could join last minute, maybe like Dharmasun or something.
I see, that's why. I was referring to the North American site

http://tsegyalgar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Have you tried to join through Merigar (West) directly MichaelB? They should have Paypal.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm thinking I've just left it too late. I was undecided whether to join and the DC membership system seems to have decided for me, which may not be a bad thing.

Return to “Dzogchen”