Death and Buddhist monk vision..

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
gwdl

Death and Buddhist monk vision..

Post by gwdl »

My father passed recently and my mom has found a but of solace with a buddhist monk. My question is can this monk really see and talk to my father? She said he was a lotus seed waiting to blossom and that his eyes weren't open yet so I had to chant "nom all lay tall fut" (I know I spelled that wrong and I apologize). She said he wanted to hear me so I chanted every day for the last two weeks only to have her tell me he can't hear me without her being there. I'm just trying to understand what is going on here for my mother's sake. I won't lie, at this point I'm a bit skeptical.

Also, why did this monk tell my mother my dad will find someone in his next life and be happier than when he was with her?
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Death and Buddhist monk vision..

Post by DGA »

Hi gwdl,

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your father. Please accept my condolences.

To your questions:

I don't know if this particular monk can see or hear your father. Some Buddhist masters are said to have this kind of ability, but it is rare.

I don't know for sure what that particular series of syllabus may be, but I think it is a Chinese way to practice reciting the name of Amitabha Buddha. This is a form of Buddhism called Pure Land. You can find out more about it here on Dharma Wheel if you are interested.

Honestly, this sounds like a weird situation for a son to be in, like maybe something is lost in translation or ????, so I don't blame you at all for feeling skeptical. I think I would too if I were in your shoes.

Do you know the name of the monk or what temple he belongs to? That would help sort out what's going on and maybe bring some clarification for you and for your mom.

Hang in there.
gwdl

Post by gwdl »

Thanks Jikan!

You have been really helpful. Any bit of info or lead towards some info is appreciated.

Yes, we are Chinese but this is the first time my family has exposed Buddhism to me. I have read quite a bit on this philosophy and it is a lot to take in in the few weeks since my dad's passing.

I'm just trying to understand to help my mother through this difficult time and to further my own knowledge.
plwk

Post by plwk »

That sounds like 南無阿彌陀佛 nán wú ā mí tuó fó in Mandarin (Homage to Amitabha Buddha) and in Cantonese dialect (jyutping) naam4 mou4 aa2 mei4 to4 bat6 (fut)?

Anyway here's some reading stuff that may help you...
Orthodox Chinese Buddhism & Buddhism of Wisdom and Faith
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

gwdl wrote:My father passed recently and my mom has found a but of solace with a buddhist monk. My question is can this monk really see and talk to my father? She said he was a lotus seed waiting to blossom and that his eyes weren't open yet so I had to chant "nom all lay tall fut" (I know I spelled that wrong and I apologize). She said he wanted to hear me so I chanted every day for the last two weeks only to have her tell me he can't hear me without her being there. I'm just trying to understand what is going on here for my mother's sake. I won't lie, at this point I'm a bit skeptical.

Also, why did this monk tell my mother my dad will find someone in his next life and be happier than when he was with her?
It's Pure Land as the others have said. The Lotus Seed is a reference to how people with imperfect faith who are reborn in the Pure Land are stuck in a lotus for 500 hundred years. This is fine and orthodox. You should continue to chant for your father.

The rest is a bit off. It's highly unlikely that this monk can see and talk to your father. You can't talk to him either. It's like if he was in Russia without a phone. It can't be done. The monk certainly doesn't need to be there when you chant. I'm not sure about his comment about finding someone either. This all sounds a bit off. Are you paying the monk money or something? He might be tricking you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
gwdl

Post by gwdl »

plwk and Konchog1,

Thank you for the additional information you have provided me with. Every little bit helps.

The 49th day will be Feb 3, 2012. Hopefully, I can have a better understanding of what is going on by then as my mother asked me to join her at the temple.

Again thank you all,

Dennis
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Dennis,

I'd suggest you find time to make a trip to the temple soon, well before the event. Think of it as a fact-finding mission. It will also help you be prepared for what to expect later on.

The best thing you could do for your mother is to be kind and patient. Seems to me you are doing this by working to understand what is going on here. Keep up the good work, son.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”