Learning wylie

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Terma

Learning wylie

Post by Terma »

Hey everyone,

I have finally begun the task of learning Tibetan. They say finding a starting point is always the hardest thing...

I have found a few good resources on script and things like that (although recommendations are welcome!), but I need a little push in the right direction to learn/understand "wylie".

Can someone help me along with this? Any resource suggestions?

Any other suggestions are more than appreciated on how to begin the study of Tibetan...

Thanks,

Terma
zerwe

Re: Learning wylie

Post by zerwe »

Terma wrote:Hey everyone,

I have finally begun the task of learning Tibetan. They say finding a starting point is always the hardest thing...

I have found a few good resources on script and things like that (although recommendations are welcome!), but I need a little push in the right direction to learn/understand "wylie".

Can someone help me along with this? Any resource suggestions?

Any other suggestions are more than appreciated on how to begin the study of Tibetan...

Thanks,

Terma
This has been an aspiration of mine as well. However, I have not been able to follow through so far.
Out of the various materials I have surveyed I think you might find this helpful. Some of the links are dated and dead, but
an impressive resource none-the-same. You might be able to access some of the more dated links using archive.org's wayback machine.
http://jigtenmig.blogspot.com/search/label/Introduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun :namaste:
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Thanks gad rgyangs,

I gave my copy away. Tournadre is pretty darn amazing. Capable of learning almost any Tibetan dialect within 2 to 3 weeks. Language genius.

- C
Terma

Post by Terma »

Wow, thanks for this. I better get started! There is much to learn...

Terma
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

Terma wrote:
Wow, thanks for this. I better get started! There is much to learn...

Terma
here are some videos that go with the book:

http://www.thlib.org/avarch/mediaflowca ... series=130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
Terma

Post by Terma »

:namaste:

Thanks so much!

As I have just started, I have begun by trying to memorize the alphabet, as well as how to write it (a few each day). this was a suggestion given to me. Do you agree?

Terma
Josef

Post by Josef »

Terma wrote::namaste:

Thanks so much!

As I have just started, I have begun by trying to memorize the alphabet, as well as how to write it (a few each day). this was a suggestion given to me. Do you agree?

Terma
Once you learn the alphabet Wylie comes pretty naturally.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Terma

Post by Terma »

Good to hear, Nangwa.

It will be a process...
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

just stumbled across this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78351097/Joe- ... om-Tibetan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look, the sitch with this stuff is if you're serious and you have the coin, you probably want to buy an actual copy, but if you're broke or if you already have a hard copy, the pdfs are great.

Terma

Post by Terma »

Thanks,

A great help once again. Well, I think it something is important and one has the drive to do it, then it can be done. There are many great resources like this and others to be found on the web. I am also planning to meet with a guy near me for some practical lessons/tutoring as well at some point.

Sometimes starting off is the hard point, but once we gain a little momentum then it is easier to keep going. So I appreciate all of these starting points!

Terma
Pero

Post by Pero »

gad rgyangs wrote:just stumbled across this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78351097/Joe- ... om-Tibetan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look, the sitch with this stuff is if you're serious and you have the coin, you probably want to buy an actual copy, but if you're broke or if you already have a hard copy, the pdfs are great.
Wow thanks! I've been thinking about getting this book for quite some time but so far always decided not to since it costs around $60 if I remember right. Now I have a chance to check it out well first. If I find it useful I'll definitely get the hard copy.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Language”