Can someone translate this for me?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
sangyey

Can someone translate this for me?

Post by sangyey »

Can someone translate this for me? The entire translation is already there but I am wondering which Tibetan translated word goes with the English word.

'Shen tong sang gye tob che chir mon juk ton dam chang sem kye'

"To obtain Buddhahood for the benefit of others, I generate bodhicitta as aspiration, as action, and in its absolute meaning."

Thank you if anyone can. I would just like to know so that when I recite the Tibetan verse I somewhat know what means what so as to have that connection.
conebeckham

Re: Can someone translate this for me?

Post by conebeckham »

I'm not familiar with the original.......Could you provide the Tibetan in Wylie? Phonetics differ based on region, and based on who's doing the translation, so it's often hard to reconstruct...but here's a rough shot:

'Shen-tong-sanggye-tob che chir(,) mon-juk-ton dam-chang sem-kye'

Others- give- Buddha-increasing (for the purpose of), (I) aspiration-enter-absolute-Bodhicitta-give birth to.

"To obtain Buddhahood for the benefit of others, I generate bodhicitta as aspiration, as action, and in its absolute meaning."
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you conebeckham. I also have this translation - zhan don sang gyay t'hob jai chhir mon jug don dam jang sem kyed.

What does wylie translation mean?
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Is this close?

Zhan-others
Don-give
Sanggyey-buddhahood
T'hob-increasing
Jai-for
Chhir-the purpose of
Mon-aspiration
Jug-enter
Don - absolute
Dam- bodhicitta
Jang- give
Sem- birth
Kyed- to
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Wylie is the system of transliterating the characters from Tibetan to "latin alphabet."
For example, "dorje" is rdo.rje. in Wylie. "Tashi Delek" is actually bkra.shis.bde.legs.

Without Wylie, I'm making somewhat educated guesses as to the correct Tibetan words--phonetics don't tell me the actual spelling of the word, and Tibetan has far more homophones than English..... I don't know Tibetan well enough to "back-translate" the individual syllables without the actual Tibetan / Wylie spelling....but your second example is better...so here's a better attempt, I think:

Zhan-other(s)
Don- benefit
Sanggyey-buddha(hood)
T'hob Jai -Object of Attainment
Chir- (for the purpose of)
Mon-aspiration
Jug- enter, or mix
Don Dam- absolute meaning
Jang Sem- Bodhicitta (Jang Chub Sem, abbreviated)
Kyed- Give Birth to, give Rise to..

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you conebechkam that should definitely help. The phrase is from the bodhicitta section of the Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo Ngondro. I just wanted to have somewhat of an idea what I was saying when reciting the Tibetan phrase phonetically.
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

གཞན་དོན་སངས་རྒྱས་འཐོབ་བྱའི་ཕྱིར།
gzhan don sangs rgyas thob bya'i phyir |

སྨོན་འཇུག་དོན་དམ་བྱང་སེམས་བསྐྱེད།
smon 'jug don dam byang sems bskyed |

I don't believe the bya here works with 'thob to imply an "attainable", but simply agrees with 'thob in being future tense. So together 'thob bya = to attain (future).
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yes, Agreed. Thanks for putting up the Tibetan, too.

Not Familiar with this particular Ngondro.

Return to “Language”