Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

JinpaRangdrol

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

Pero wrote:Well I asked because I can only go from my memory and so I have no idea about the order hehe. The first one though I think was Green Tara. He also gave Avalokiteshvara Korva Tongtrug, Purification of 6 lokas, Amitayus, Mandarava, Chod, Vajrapani, Medicine Buddha, four mantras for strengthening life, body, capacity and fortune; Dorjei Kotrab, mantra for changing bad dates into good ones, Garuda, Marme monlam, Sang, Serkyem, Lungta, Namkha. Don't remember any others. edit: Essential practice of Gomadevi.
Ah ok great. I don't remember Tara, Garuda, Sang, Serkyem, Vajrapani, Lungta, or Namkha.
My list had:
Naga puja
Guru yoga of the white AH
Long life practice of Mandarava
Purification of the six Lokas
Long life practice of Amitayus
25 spaces of Samantabhadra
Chenrezig Korwa Döndrup
Medicine Buddha
Orgyen Menla
Dorje Kotrap
Mantra for changing bad days into good days
(this one I'm really unsure about) maybe the srac gcig pu rgyud?
Something about 8 classes of something...Then something about all different manifestations
Mantras for strengthening elements
Goma Devi
Chöd
Zhitro

Anybody remember anything I'm missing? Or know more about the confusing ones?

Also, does anybody happen to have electronic copies of any of these that they'd be willing to send my way? I'll definitely try to support the Dzogchen community in whatever way I can, but I'm extreeeeeeeeemely financially limited, so any help with resources would be great. I already have the Chöd, Zhitro, and Medicine Buddha texts, and I'm sure my Lama has some of his other stuff, but she's in retreat.
Thanks!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

before naga puja:

Green Tara
Vajrapani, peaceful & wrathful forms
Red Garuda
Sang offering
empowering namkha & lungta
Ozer Chenma (gave some brief instruction in practice too)
Pero

Post by Pero »

No idea. Don't remember anything like that.
Something about 8 classes of something...Then something about all different manifestations
This was probably sang and/or serkyem.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Pero wrote:He also gave... mantra for changing bad dates into good ones, ...

Uh, how does that work, exactly?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Paul

Post by Paul »

catmoon wrote:

om turn that frown upside down hung phat
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Pero

Post by Pero »

catmoon wrote:

Not sure if I understand the question right... If you have to do something on a day that is astrologicaly bad for you (I think Rinpoche uses having an operation as an example), you chant this mantra and it will be alright.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:
Pero wrote:Well I asked because I can only go from my memory and so I have no idea about the order hehe. The first one though I think was Green Tara. He also gave Avalokiteshvara Korva Tongtrug, Purification of 6 lokas, Amitayus, Mandarava, Chod, Vajrapani, Medicine Buddha, four mantras for strengthening life, body, capacity and fortune; Dorjei Kotrab, mantra for changing bad dates into good ones, Garuda, Marme monlam, Sang, Serkyem, Lungta, Namkha. Don't remember any others. edit: Essential practice of Gomadevi.
Ah ok great. I don't remember Tara, Garuda, Sang, Serkyem, Vajrapani, Lungta, or Namkha.
My list had:
Naga puja
Guru yoga of the white AH
Long life practice of Mandarava
Purification of the six Lokas
Long life practice of Amitayus
25 spaces of Samantabhadra
Chenrezig Korwa Döndrup
Medicine Buddha
Orgyen Menla
Dorje Kotrap
Mantra for changing bad days into good days
Mantras for strengthening elements
Goma Devi
Chöd
Zhitro

Anybody remember anything I'm missing? Or know more about the confusing ones?

Also, does anybody happen to have electronic copies of any of these that they'd be willing to send my way? I'll definitely try to support the Dzogchen community in whatever way I can, but I'm extreeeeeeeeemely financially limited, so any help with resources would be great. I already have the Chöd, Zhitro, and Medicine Buddha texts, and I'm sure my Lama has some of his other stuff, but she's in retreat.
Thanks!
PS I meant "sras" gcig pu rgyud. I think it's been mentioned here before. Any insight, Namdrol?
I'm sure the 8 classes deal was for protectors, so thats clear.
Again, I'd anybody knows where I can find electronic copies of any of these, that would be so wonderful.

JR
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pero wrote:
catmoon wrote:

If you have to do something on a day that is astrologicaly bad for you (I think Rinpoche uses having an operation as an example), you chant this mantra and it will be alright.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Rinpoche has given the Medicine Buddha transmission numerous times. Is there a specific DC practice for this or can it be done in Anuyoga style? Also I have heard the mantra done a couple of different ways, how does Rinpoche teach it?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:Rinpoche has given the Medicine Buddha transmission numerous times. Is there a specific DC practice for this or can it be done in Anuyoga style? Also I have heard the mantra done a couple of different ways, how does Rinpoche teach it?

There are two -- Orgyen Menlha and the Medicine Buddha from Namcho. I am not sure where you can get them, but I think if you send an email to the secretary of DCA, he can help you further.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Cool, thanks Namdrol
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
florin

Transmission on the Internet

Post by florin »

i have similar issue with my login details.

I have become a member of DC in august last year and i am still waiting for my login details.
I have sent several emails to people who should know these things requesting their advice but nothing happened so far.

It seems that the ones responsible for this situation are the ones in Merigar.
THis IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS..
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY ARE SO USELESS.
I THINK THIS IS GONE TOO FAR.

This makes me absolutely furious that after so many months they are still unable to create those bloody details.

I now find myself unable to take part in this webcast and obviously to listen to replays.
Mr. G

Re: ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Post by Mr. G »

Sherlock wrote: I'm a Dzogchen community member from Singapore and I attended one retreat Rinpoche held here last year but never got round to requesting a login for the webcasts until two weeks ago. I emailed them but I didn't know my membership number and said so, there was no reply. I emailed them again last week after finding my membership number and there's still been no reply, anyone know what I can do? I really want to listen to this webcast.
alpha wrote:i have similar issue with my login details.

I have become a member of DC in august last year and i am still waiting for my login details.
I have sent several emails to people who should know these things requesting their advice but nothing happened so far.

It seems that the ones responsible for this situation are the ones in Merigar.
THis IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS..
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY ARE SO USELESS.
I THINK THIS IS GONE TOO FAR.

This makes me absolutely furious that after so many months they are still unable to create those bloody details.

I now find myself unable to take part in this webcast and obviously to listen to replays.
Call, email - continue to be persistent. No question, the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

What would my best resource be for learning the Mandarava Practice with Chulen and Tsa Lung? Should I go with one of the books? Videos? Is there anything in the webcast replay archive?
Thanks!
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community? My intuition tells me that much confusion might result, but I'd like to hear otherwise as I have felt a connection to ChNNR and his teachings.

Thank you.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:What would my best resource be for learning the Mandarava Practice with Chulen and Tsa Lung? Should I go with one of the books? Videos? Is there anything in the webcast replay archive?
Thanks!
If your a member, on the webcast site there are a few up to date Mandarava resources. The practice text is there and audio and video of the practice. Nothing regarding tsalung etc. If your not that familiar with the practice learning it would be a good first step before adding the tsalung.
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... ricted.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

tomamundsen wrote:Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community? My intuition tells me that much confusion might result, but I'd like to hear otherwise as I have felt a connection to ChNNR and his teachings.

Thank you.
Lots of people have different teachers. If you feel a connection maybe its worth investigating further. What do you think you would be confused about?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

simhanada wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community? My intuition tells me that much confusion might result, but I'd like to hear otherwise as I have felt a connection to ChNNR and his teachings.

Thank you.
Lots of people have different teachers. If you feel a connection maybe its worth investigating further. What do you think you would be confused about?
Well, from my understanding, ChNNR doesn't have his students do ngondro and just directly starts teaching Dzogchen. However, the lama I'm practicing with teaches anyone who isn't going to die within a short period of time to do a ngondro and holds off on the Dzogchen teachings. He gave an analogy about how you need a special jewel container to hold a snow lion's milk and how the ngondro transforms us into this special jewel container so that we can receive Dzogchen teachings without them just immediately slipping through our grasp.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

tomamundsen wrote: Well, from my understanding, ChNNR doesn't have his students do ngondro and just directly starts teaching Dzogchen..
Thats correct. However, for those students that choose to there is his Santi Maha Sangha(SMS) study program which is ngondro-esque. Besides the book learning involved there is a lot of meditation/practice requirements of set amounts. All those practices will help prepare and clarify a students understanding of the path. It is not though, a requirement to participate in the SMS program.

tomamundsen wrote:However, the lama I'm practicing with teaches anyone who isn't going to die within a short period of time to do a ngondro and holds off on the Dzogchen teachings. He gave an analogy about how you need a special jewel container to hold a snow lion's milk and how the ngondro transforms us into this special jewel container so that we can receive Dzogchen teachings without them just immediately slipping through our grasp.
The ngondro will only be of benefit to helping understand what this Lama and CNNR are in the end trying to convey. Confusions that arise can also be clarified through practice and study.
tomamundsen wrote:Does it make sense for one who is doing a ngondro with a face-to-face Nyingma lama to join the Dzogchen Community?
I don't know if you have listened/attended any retreats before but it is not a necessity to become a member to attend retreats or open webcasts.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

tomamundsen wrote: Well, from my understanding, ChNNR doesn't have his students do ngondro and just directly starts teaching Dzogchen. However, the lama I'm practicing with teaches anyone who isn't going to die within a short period of time to do a ngondro and holds off on the Dzogchen teachings. He gave an analogy about how you need a special jewel container to hold a snow lion's milk and how the ngondro transforms us into this special jewel container so that we can receive Dzogchen teachings without them just immediately slipping through our grasp.
You join the Community, because you encounter the teachings and feel to be ready for it, therefore it may means that you are already transformed into this special jewel container. ChNN bases his teaching on Garab Dorjé's testament. Garab Dorje said that the first thing to be done was for the master to introduce the disciple directly to the primordial state, he did'nt say: "First teach the Ngöndro". Nevertheless, Rinpoché always says that we have to work with our circumstances, and if your circumstances is to keep secure your self doing Ngöndros, you should do it ... and you can still listen to the teachings of ChNN, and if ever you are introduced to the primordial state, find! it would mean you were already that special container.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”