The neurons that shaped civilization

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Jesse

The neurons that shaped civilization

Post by Jesse »

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/vs_ram ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neuroscientist Vilayanur Ramachandran outlines the fascinating functions of mirror neurons. Only recently discovered, these neurons allow us to learn complex social behaviors, some of which formed the foundations of human civilization as we know it.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Kare

Re: The neurons that shaped civilization

Post by Kare »

:thumbsup:
Kåre A. Lie
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

I really enjoyed his "phantoms in the brain" I can remember. I'm going to put this on my to-watch list!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The thing I found most fascinating is that our physical bodies sense organs, are all that lie between us and shared experience. At least in the case of touch. I would imagine if this is true of touch, it is probable for other sense experience as well.

So for me, it brings to mind meditation. The partial to total dissolution of our bodies sense experiences from our awareness. I wish more scientists would do research into these areas, it's way too cool. :o
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I've just watched it. Thanks for this. One can never go wrong with a TED talk. The mirror neurons give a different spin on Creation Stage. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile:
Excellant.
One thing he didn't mention is some very recent (probably because this only has been discovered within the last 6 months) MRI evidence that such nueral networks are NOT fixed and set...but that human brains may be a DYNAMIC network that actively re-assigns it's importance to such nueral motor networks based on the results experienced by their actions.
For example, if you have a combination of Apples and Strawberrys to chose from...and you randomly choose a Strawberry from that group which turns out to be very tasty...the next time you choose the motor nuerons will be preferably selected over the Strawberry choice instead of the Apple choice.
This idea is not new, and it has always been suspected, but now there is actual (but still controversial) evidence from MRI images that...at least in animals...this dynamic reconditioning of motor nerve selection in the brain is a real physical process.
So, iin Meditation, as someone else mentioned...it may be physically true that Meditation on a desired result actually creates a physical re-allocation of priorities in the brain...which makes the choice of of possible actions to be more likely to be chosen based on that desired result from Meditation.
See, you really ARE what you want to be.
:smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach

Return to “Media”