Make your own Juzu

Seishin
Former staff member

Make your own Juzu

Post by Seishin »

I'm not sure what the rules or etiquette is in the US for making your own Juzu, but I recently found this Japanese website which shows how to make it including the different knots and how to make the small pom poms etc. Very interesting, however, google translate isn't great so the pictures are a blessing. Also, one can't buy the bead set outside Japan it seems.

http://www.crestbeads.net/tentaisyuu-dougu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... endai.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... ufusa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... tsuyu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS, they also show how to make many other Juzu. Very interesting.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Doko

Re: Make your own Juzu

Post by Doko »

Good find. This is the most usable information I have seen regarding this. I have a small envelope of complete beads that have been sitting around for over a year now. Maybe it's time to wrap this project up.

~ Thanks Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Not a problem, glad I could help. I also found the device to make the little pom poms at the end of the juzu http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clover-Pom-Pom- ... 5891c83a9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gassho.
Doko

Post by Doko »

The pom pom machine is a great idea. I was never really a fan of the pom poms for a few reasons. Mainly they fall apart pretty quick. Luckily my teacher doesn't like them too much either : ) I just had a Nenju restrung last year with the wooden balls wrapped in cloth instead of pom poms.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

There are already a few threads here about making malas and some reallly talented people. Not me! LOL :)

Juzus are available on eBay etc.

However, choosing your own beads and threads adds to the commitment IMHO. The prayer beads arise from your practice as opposed to being added to it.

In Tibetan Buddhism the mala may be blessed by your Guru, it may be your companion for millions of mantras, and consequently may be considered to be an object imbued with blessings. I believe the 'japa mala' in Hinduism is regarded as similarly imbued.

How is the Juzu regarded in that sense?

There is a lovely little book: 'Beads of Faith' I like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beads-Faith-Sus ... 339&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Doko wrote:The pom pom machine is a great idea. I was never really a fan of the pom poms for a few reasons. Mainly they fall apart pretty quick. Luckily my teacher doesn't like them too much either : ) I just had a Nenju restrung last year with the wooden balls wrapped in cloth instead of pom poms.
Have you thought of trying "monkey fist" knots instead? You can tie them around a bead to keep their shape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9w-T2d ... plpp_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen them on juzu made in China. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Juzu-Japan-Ni ... 2562632634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also seen them on Tendai juzu but can't find a picture of them right now.

Gassho.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Blue Garuda wrote:Juzus are available on eBay etc.
The Tendai ones are quite expensive for those on a budget. Also, there is an unwritten rule that you recieve your juzu from your teacher when you take the precepts. Although, it is quite common these days in Japan to simply buy one from the many shops that sell them.
Blue Garuda wrote:However, choosing your own beads and threads adds to the commitment IMHO. The prayer beads arise from your practice as opposed to being added to it.
That's nice :) I just like making things... a big kid at heart ;)
Blue Garuda wrote:In Tibetan Buddhism the mala may be blessed by your Guru, it may be your companion for millions of mantras, and consequently may be considered to be an object imbued with blessings. I believe the 'japa mala' in Hinduism is regarded as similarly imbued. ow is the Juzu regarded in that sense?
I'm not too sure. I know you can get your juzu blessed during the Goma, but other than that I'm quite ignorant. Perhaps Jikan or Doko can answer...?

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

For those interested, I have finally uploaded the photos of my attempt at making a wrist prayer bead/juzu/nenju along with an explanation to my blog: http://seishinuk.blogspot.com/2012/01/m ... pdate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gassho,
Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks, Seishin!

I noticed this weekend while at the NY Betsuin that Monshin sensei was using a nenju with monkey-fist knots rather than poms. For what it's worth.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Jikan wrote:Thanks, Seishin!

I noticed this weekend while at the NY Betsuin that Monshin sensei was using a nenju with monkey-fist knots rather than poms. For what it's worth.
:twothumbsup:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Have you ever tried to tie a monkey fist knot? It's not something you can get right the first time just by following instructions. If you want to do it, be prepared to practice for a couple of weeks before getting nice symmetrical knots.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

catmoon wrote:Have you ever tried to tie a monkey fist knot? It's not something you can get right the first time just by following instructions. If you want to do it, be prepared to practice for a couple of weeks before getting nice symmetrical knots.
Hi catmoon. I'm quite creative and always have a project on the go, so I know these sort of things take a few tries. The first time I tied a chinese lucky knot it took 10 tries until it resembled the picture!! :tongue: I'd like to give the monkey knot a go sometime, but first, I'd like to try making the poms.

I have also made my own samue and some zafus and other stuffs

Gassho,
Seishin.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

How do you think they made this Seishin?:

I want one, but the price at the store they were selling it at was outrageous!
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Hmmm :ugeek: It looks to me like two rows of beads but tied on one piece of thread in a loop. The black thread weaving in and out looks like a different piece entirely, but it's possible it is the same thread continued. Either way it was weaved seperately to the beads. The two ends of the strings would then go through the large silver bead acting like a slip knot, allowing you to enlarge and shorten the length of the bracelet as required.

The way I'd make it initially would be to thread a load of beads on one piece of string and tie then string in a loop, but leave enough space between the beads to allow for the black weaving thread. Then pull either end of the loop so that an equal number of beads face each other on the horizontal and leave extra thread at the knot end. At this point I'd tie an extra piece of thread to the open end of the loop .Then I'd fix these to a wooden board with clips to make the weaving process easier. Then weave in and out with a new piece of thread, tying and cutting then ends.
The two ends of the loop can then be passed through a larger bead to make the slip knot, but make sure the hole in the bead is small enough to provide friction, which is what stops the braclet undoing itself. Alternatively you could simply tie it onto your wrist, or add a large bead on one side and a loop on the other, or even tie on a jewelry clasp.

There'll be many ways of making it, the above is only one way. Hope it makes sense :thinking:

Gassho,
Seishin.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Very cool Seishen. Thanks for the advice!
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

No worries :smile:

[Mod note 2023: If you're interested in how to make your own Juzu, please start a new thread. This one is outdated.]

Return to “Tendai”