Kye Ma Kye Hud - gti mug gnyid skrogs

Totoro

Kye Ma Kye Hud - gti mug gnyid skrogs

Post by Totoro »

Hi

Does anyone have an English translation of the Kye Ma Kye Hud prayer done in the beginning of the Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro, known as gti mug gnyid skrogs? Would appreciate it. thank you.
muni

Re: Kye Ma Kye Hud - gti mug gnyid skrogs

Post by muni »

Totoro wrote:Hi

Does anyone have an English translation of the Kye Ma Kye Hud prayer done in the beginning of the Longchen Nyingthig Ngondro, known as gti mug gnyid skrogs? Would appreciate it. thank you.
Hi Totoro,

http://www.thefournobletruths.org/03_Pr ... orance.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totoro

Post by Totoro »

Thank you so much, Muni! :namaste:
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

What a beautiful song this is, too. I found it on the CD "Bardo Prayers" sung by Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche and Sonam Dadul, and it is so lovely.

You can hear an exerpt here: http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Up-Prayer-Ky ... B00270ANJY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I became so taken with this song - it's no wonder they say the young monks love to go around singing it while doing their morning chores. Here's a transcription of the version sung by the gentlemen above, if you want to sing along: http://db.tt/gsfLy7WH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a link to the file in my Dropbox, but you don't have to have Dropbox to access it. Let me know if you have any problems!

Best,

Sheila
rai

Post by rai »

very nice! thank you!

could you please share who is the author of this prayer?
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

rai wrote:very nice! thank you!

could you please share who is the author of this prayer?
I will try to find out - I know many of the other common Bardo prayers were composed/revealed by Terton Karma Lingpa...I really should find out, though!
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

Our prayer comes from the The Great Liberation by Hearing in the Intermediate States [English title: Tibetan Book of the Dead], composed by Padmasambhava, revealed by Karma Lingpa, translated by Gyurme Dorje, edited by Graham Coleman with Thupten Jinpa), introductory commentary by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

This particular version contains extra material, including Chapter 1 which introduces preliminary practices. Authorship of these preliminary practices is attributed to Nyinda Choje, Karma Lingpa's son and first lineage holder; they were said to have been written down by Lama Nyinda Ozer, the second lineage holder. The editor's introduction to our Kye Ma Kye Hud song gives:

In its original Tibetan this preliminary practice is beautifully written in verse. In the monasteries and lay households of the practitioners of this cycle of teachings, it is usually sung melodically in the early morning, before any other practice or activity is begun. Often the young monks sing the opening verses of this poem as they go about their morning duties.

I'm so glad you asked the question - it's good to have found out more about one of my favorite songs!
rai

Post by rai »

Thank you Sheila!

Return to “Nyingma”