Unseen Beings in Tibetan Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
maybay

Re: Why do Tulku/reincarnate realized masters

Post by maybay »

Will wrote:
Will wrote:
Some are as N. says, others are fond of destruction & hell-raising, so they follow their tendencies.
maybay wrote:What can one really say about others?
That they are real & external to our minds, but are attracted by the bad seeds (lust, pride, anger etc) or tendencies of our thoughts. So cleaning up our thoughts is most of the battle.
Is that what it says in the Shurangama no samadhi Sutra?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Paul

Re: Unseen Beings in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Paul »

Is there such a thing as a poltergeist in Tibetan buddhism? I seem to remember mention of a type of being with "power over the movement of objects" in a sangcho text and it sounded very similar.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Paul wrote:Is there such a thing as a poltergeist in Tibetan buddhism? I seem to remember mention of a type of being with "power over the movement of objects" in a sangcho text and it sounded very similar.

Sure.
Merely Labeled

Post by Merely Labeled »

Huseng, what do you mean by `This is mentioned in one of the Padmasambhava prophecies regarding the Boudhanath Stupa in Kathmandu during the age of kaliyuga` ?

What are the prophecies regarding the Bodnath Stupa ?

Thanks,

M.L.
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Hi ML

http://www.keithdowman.net/books/lgs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a translation of some of Guru Rinpoche's prophecies re the stupa at Boudha.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Personal experience:

I had a negative entity bothering me for many, many years. When I took formal refuge and attended a two day cho healing ceremony my problem finally vanished and it's been about 5 years without much trouble. We have many means at our disposal to protect from negative entities imho.

There are many realms, many beings. We are very fortunate to be in samsara with a precious human birth.

Best,
Laura
Merely Labeled

Post by Merely Labeled »

Thank you for the link MrDistracted.
I am at the Bodnath Stupa a lot these days and it is good to know Guru Rinpoche`s prophecies.

Ng. Drolma, please do not mind my direct asking you, but how do you know that it was a `negative entity` bothering you ?

We are bothered by something all the time and only after having read this thread yesterday I had the idea that what bothers me sometimes could be `an entity` and not the projections of my mind :thinking:

M.L.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I always find it interesting when people who swear up and down that there is no 'self' and that we have no 'real existence' turn around and claim that demons are 'real'.

"Real" often meaning as real as we are. So these 'real' demons can cause us 'real' problems.
That is tooooo funny!!!!

When beings die, if they have trouble minds, what happens top those troubled minds?
Someone might say that they inhabit a body, maybe one inhabits my body and causes 'me' trouble.
But maybe a more important question is
who is this person I think is "me", that "possesses" my body right now?
at this point, any distinction between the illusion of a self and the illusion of a demon becomes blurry.
;) = :twisted:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:I always find it interesting when people who swear up and down that there is no 'self' and that we have no 'real existence' turn around and claim that demons are 'real'.

"Real" often meaning as real as we are. So these 'real' demons can cause us 'real' problems.
That is tooooo funny!!!!
That's true but what is meant is that the sentient being labeled as a demon conventionally has an extremely obscured and negative mind and may also have some power and intention to harm others. So like a sociopath without a physical body but who can in some cases affect the minds or environments of others.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
krodha

Post by krodha »

Paul wrote:Is there such a thing as a poltergeist in Tibetan buddhism? I seem to remember mention of a type of being with "power over the movement of objects" in a sangcho text and it sounded very similar.
I was just reading something about this the other day in regards to the nature of a poltergeist being a manifestation of ones own repressed/suppressed aspects of themselves. Whether it be karmic debts like namdrol said, or just subconscious traits that have been buried coming to the surface it can probably be either. But it makes sense that those aspects of oneself would manifest in order to serve as a release. A kind of catharsis or purification that needs to occur as long as one remains ignorant of their actions which cause build up.

Also made me wonder if these same manifestations of repressed/suppressed aspects would hold true on a collective level. In the sense of the microcosm mirroring the macrocosm. Instances like the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear issues in Japan could be a manifestation of japaneses attitude towards the ocean with over fishing, whaling and horrid activities like you see in films like "the cove" where literally thousands of dolphins are trapped and killed, babies and all. The imprint on consciousness that these activities must cause must need an outlet. So the tsunami and surrounding events could be a poltergeist type phenomena on a major collective scale.

Im not saying this is the case, and i don't mean to offend anyone effected, or downplay the events in Japan by saying they were self inflicted... just some thoughts.
Merely Labeled

Post by Merely Labeled »

O.k., another questions comes to my mind:

The beings, we are talking about in the thread, are part of one of the six realms, like hungry ghosts and so forth ?

I read about beings trapped in the bardo of becoming.
For some reason they cannot take rebirth and wander around as `ghosts` and might trouble others as well.
This then would be a 7.realm?

M.L.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well, we all have our demons, lol
maybay

Post by maybay »

Looks like a Lego man
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything