Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Arnoud

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote:
Clarence wrote:Kundalini energy? I thought Buddhists don't recognize Kundalini? Namdrol-la, how are we to understand that?

The term kundalini never occurs in any buddhist texts. But the notion of unblocking the nadis of the cakras from the bottom cakra on up does exist in Buddhist tantras.

N
Thanks. I remember you saying multiple times on E-sangha to Kurt Keutzer that Buddhists don't know Kundalini so I was a little surprised when Rinpoche brought it up.

Can the unblocking be done like they do in Hinduism with a Shakti-path or is it only through personal practice, such as Vajra Dance, etc., that one unblocks the nadis?

Many thanks again, C
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Kundalini is just a word. The energy itself is real and exists in everyone. In Buddhism its spoken of as Inner Heat, the melting of the Drops, the abiding of energies in the central channel, and so forth. The degree and intensity to which this is accomplished will determine the degree to which Kundalini is awakened. The main difference is that I don't think Buddhism specifically recognizes Kundalini as a special manifestation of energy, but rather its the result of working with energy for a prolonged period of time in a disciplined way. The end result is the same. Melt the drops, experience bliss, melt all the drops, experience tremendous bliss and samadhi, bring it fully into the head, experience the flow of nectar. Do it right, you can become enlightened from it. Do it wrong, you can seriously hurt yourself. Thats my understanding at least...
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Kundalini is mentioned in _The Crystal and the Way of Light_ (p. 124) in a way that is a bit confusing. is it thigle, is it prana... ?
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

Jikan wrote:Kundalini is mentioned in _The Crystal and the Way of Light_ (p. 124) in a way that is a bit confusing. is it thigle, is it prana... ?
Ah! It seems to indicate that thigle/kundalini is the essential nature of prana. It reads:
There are many types of prana, and they support the many types of dualistic mind; as long as the prana circulates in the many various channels, these dualistic minds persist. But when prana is brought into the central channel, its essential nature -thigle, or kundalini- is activated and enters the channels. Dualistic mind is then overcome, and realization achieved.
So its not saying prana is kundalini (which accords also with what Hindu tantra believes) but that when prana is brought into the central channel, its essential nature manifests as thigle or kundalini. In the same way, the mind has its thoughts, imputations, and so forth, and its essential nature which can be revealed.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Yeah. I see a few different ways to parse that passage. That one seems reasonable.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

wisdom wrote:
Jikan wrote:Kundalini is mentioned in _The Crystal and the Way of Light_ (p. 124) in a way that is a bit confusing. is it thigle, is it prana... ?
Ah! It seems to indicate that thigle/kundalini is the essential nature of prana. It reads:
There are many types of prana, and they support the many types of dualistic mind; as long as the prana circulates in the many various channels, these dualistic minds persist. But when prana is brought into the central channel, its essential nature -thigle, or kundalini- is activated and enters the channels. Dualistic mind is then overcome, and realization achieved.
So its not saying prana is kundalini (which accords also with what Hindu tantra believes) but that when prana is brought into the central channel, its essential nature manifests as thigle or kundalini. In the same way, the mind has its thoughts, imputations, and so forth, and its essential nature which can be revealed.

In the Guhyasamaja system, bindu refers to a bindu of prana vāyu. Bindu therefore can refer to prana vāyu.

N
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

good morning webcasters
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jikan wrote:good morning webcasters

good morning!
pensum

Post by pensum »

hey, the freezecast audio feed went down.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Namdrol wrote:
Jikan wrote:good morning webcasters

good morning!
good afternoon ... :smile:
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

pensum wrote:hey, the freezecast audio feed went down.
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php works ok (audio only too)
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
pensum

Post by pensum »

Sönam wrote:
pensum wrote:hey, the freezecast audio feed went down.
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php works ok (audio only too)
thanks Sonam, of course just after i posted that it came back. for some reason the feeds at the link you provided have never worked for me, even though i have no problem watching live streams in JW player on other websites.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Thanks for posting this link. :thanks:

It solved the problem of previously not being able to listen on this iPod. :twothumbsup:

(Now if I could just get my laptop fixed... :techproblem: :coffee: )
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

There's a practice I want to learn, however I am unsure of how one of the mantras is pronounced. The way it's written in the text doesn't really convey how it's to be said phonetically. Does anyone know how I should go about learning how it's pronounced? I thought some years ago I picked up a small pamphlet from the community on pronunciation of mantras in that applies to all the practice texts.....perhaps I'm mistaken.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
pensum

Post by pensum »

Mr. G wrote:There's a practice I want to learn, however I am unsure of how one of the mantras is pronounced. The way it's written in the text doesn't really convey how it's to be said phonetically. Does anyone know how I should go about learning how it's pronounced? I thought some years ago I picked up a small pamphlet from the community on pronunciation of mantras in that applies to all the practice texts.....perhaps I'm mistaken.
there is a booklet, it's called Drajyor and looks to be available at http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=15
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

pensum wrote:
Mr. G wrote:There's a practice I want to learn, however I am unsure of how one of the mantras is pronounced. The way it's written in the text doesn't really convey how it's to be said phonetically. Does anyone know how I should go about learning how it's pronounced? I thought some years ago I picked up a small pamphlet from the community on pronunciation of mantras in that applies to all the practice texts.....perhaps I'm mistaken.
there is a booklet, it's called Drajyor and looks to be available at http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=15
That's it! Now I have to find it as it's somewhere in my book collection. :thumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Problem: the SSI US store's website is now Error 404. Before this, everything was out of stock anyway.

Solution: anyone in the US ordered from the European site? if so, how did it go?
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Jikan wrote:Problem: the SSI US store's website is now Error 404. Before this, everything was out of stock anyway.
It's up for me:

http://shangshung.org/store/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://isitup.org/shangshung.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

great, thanks. Still doesn't solve the out-of-stock problem, though. :)
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Jikan wrote:Problem: the SSI US store's website is now Error 404. Before this, everything was out of stock anyway.

Solution: anyone in the US ordered from the European site? if so, how did it go?

:hi:

From Italy. Items arrived in a week, and shipping was less than I thought it would be.

Plus Shang Shung Italy seems to be the best stocked (yet Austria and UK are worth checking, though I don't know how ordering from them goes).

Return to “Dzogchen”