Big Mind, Big Money, Big Scam

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Big Mind, Big Money, Big Scam

Postby BuddhaSoup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

"5-day Big Heart Circle with Roshi (?) Genpo

This event is now only $8000 if you sign up on or before January 4th. After January 4th the cost goes up to $12,000.

This Big Heart Retreat will allow each participant to clarify their lives and work through deeply rooted barriers and untie knots that may be adversely affecting you for years or even since childhood. These unhealthy and painful patterns have a way of showing up in relationships and in the workplace."
BuddhaSoup

Re: Big Mind, Big Money, Big Scam

Postby Mr. G » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby BuddhaSoup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Yes, thanks for the cite to the thread.

I'm just amazed that Genpo stills markets himself as Roshi, and a Zen Master, and peddles these Big Mind events for the many thousands of dollars that he charges. I suppose that if he has the grapes to charge $12,000 for a five day seminar, there are enough confused and hurting people willing to drop these amounts to spend time talking to their "disowned selves."

Genpo has greedily monetized the Dharma, wrapped it in Hal and Sidra psychoanalysis, and sugar coated it with the idea that anyone willing to drop $12K can fast track themselves into Nirvana.

Phooey.
BuddhaSoup

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:49 pm

BuddhaSoup wrote:I'm just amazed that Genpo stills markets himself as Roshi, and a Zen Master.

He's got bills, like everyone else.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Mr. G » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Namdrol wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:I'm just amazed that Genpo stills markets himself as Roshi, and a Zen Master.

Yes, how else is he going to afford his Harley Davidson:

:lol:
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby BuddhaSoup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Yes, how else is he going to afford his Harley Davidson:

:lol:

Richard Baker Redux...

"Besides the personal power of his position Baker lived with paid travel, an abundance of high-priced worldly goods, a number of well-appointed residences, a steady supply of household help and assistants, sex with his students and access to high profile friends."
BuddhaSoup

Postby Astus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I can't totally disagree with charging money for such sessions. In China (any practically everywhere else) monks had to go to kings, princes and officials to get appropriate support for entire monasteries and such. Today that is not the situation, but things still cost money. In the old times religious things were covered by the taxes paid to the state or directly to the church. In many countries today that is not even an option, or only a couple of locally important churches (Catholic, Kalvinist, Lutheran, Paroslav, etc.) recieve such money from the state. Another historical example, Genpo roshi may have a Harley, in the old times (and in traditional countries) they have silk-brocade robes, golden statues, etc. It is a big illusion to believe that Buddhist organisations can miraculously function without material wealth, and with wealth comes corruption and other such things.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Is there anything new to discuss here that has not been covered elsewhere?

If so, please PM me to re-open the thread. If not, this thread is done.
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to Open Dharma