The objects of attachment

Virgo

The objects of attachment

Post by Virgo »

There is nothing worthwhile in worldly life. I used to have this attitude quite well, but then mara got me once again.

I thought this worldly girl was important, and then she broke my heart. Now I literally have chest pains, angina. I probably have heart disease after all the shit I have been through. My life has been too tough, too much Bullshit. Even since youth, things were too serious and too many intense situations and people were around me.

It was all a blessing because it helped me turn to Dharma. But then I get caught up with this worldly girl situation and everything goes to shit once again. What was I thinking? There is not an ounce of happiness in samsara, especially in "love". Love just gives you angina. Wisdom and realization is what counts. To hell with samsara, status, love simply for this life, and all living for this life and this life alone. I could lose my life at any moment, why should I care about this life?

To hell with the deceptive things of this life.

Kevin
Mr. G

Re: The objects of attachment

Post by Mr. G »

Find a partner that is just as involved in Dharma as you? :shrug:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

You should care about this life because your actions in it will bear future results, including the chance for happiness
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Mr. G wrote:Find a partner that is just as involved in Dharma as you? :shrug:
Oh I don't care Mr. G. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. That is how I feel at this point. You cannot control anything in life any way, and nothing is permanent, so who knows what will happen tomorrow? Even if I find a good relationship with a Dharma practitioner, I will remind myself that it is actually a source of suffering in many ways and that it could end at any time. Thanks for the advice though. :)

Kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

AdmiralJim wrote:You should care about this life because your actions in it will bear future results, including the chance for happiness
Oh I care about my karma.

Kevin
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

This may be off the mark and not applicable to you, & nevermind my comments if that's the case, but personally I had to realize that there is a big difference between mere depression and "recognizing the inherent flaws of samsara." It's easy to suffer from the former while dressing it up as the latter, and this is not necessarily all that productive in the long run. Depression and difficult life experiences could yield many useful insights. But if it all just leads to a life of hopelessness and gloom and expecting good things to show their impermanence "any time now because that's just how samsara works" in some cynical or pessimistic way, and to just biding one's time until enlightenment or looking forward to enlightenment in the bardo or Dewachen, then that's not so useful...

Again, pardon if this is not your experience, but I felt it was worth it to speak on the subject in case it strikes a nerve with anyone.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Again, pardon if this is not your experience, but I felt it was worth it to speak on the subject in case it strikes a nerve with anyone.
It is not. But thank you.

My experience was more of becoming too focused on the things of samsara, putting too much weight in them. Why? when you can't control them and they are just suffering.

Kevin
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Amen

Thank you for sharing this, Kevin. I wish you immediate emotional ease and joyful relief, and swift realization of ultimate compassion!!! :consoling:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Thanks dakini_boi,

I appreciate it.

Kevin
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Virgo wrote:There is nothing worthwhile in worldly life.

You should be really happy because now you have a deeper insight into the 1st Noble Truth which can be a cause for strong renunciation to develop in your mind. This is a painful but necessary part of the journey - your practice is bearing fruit and you are making progress. :thumbsup:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Virgo wrote:There is nothing worthwhile in worldly life. I used to have this attitude quite well, but then mara got me once again.

I thought this worldly girl was important, and then she broke my heart. Now I literally have chest pains, angina. I probably have heart disease after all the shit I have been through. My life has been too tough, too much Bullshit. Even since youth, things were too serious and too many intense situations and people were around me.

It was all a blessing because it helped me turn to Dharma. But then I get caught up with this worldly girl situation and everything goes to shit once again. What was I thinking? There is not an ounce of happiness in samsara, especially in "love". Love just gives you angina. Wisdom and realization is what counts. To hell with samsara, status, love simply for this life, and all living for this life and this life alone. I could lose my life at any moment, why should I care about this life?

To hell with the deceptive things of this life.

Kevin
What a wonderful spiritual friend. :namaste:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reframing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

To Tilopa, yes, thank you. :namaste:

To Kongchog, yes, a great spiritual friend. Why? I see her situation, I see my situation, I see the situation of many people all around me. They need me to help bring them to liberation. They are too caught up in the flood, don't have the knowledge or understanding to even know how much they will suffer. It is my responsibility. They are my responsibility. I cannot waste my life with pettiness. I will free all of them. Therefore, I shall make more effort.

Kevin

Return to “Nyingma”