Tibetan dream

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Tibetan dream

Postby MrDistracted » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Beatzen

The late Chagdud Rinpoche's wife, Chagdud Khandro, is bestowing a Red Tara initiation in Canada in september:

http://www.siddharthasintent.org/2011/1 ... teach.html

I thought you might like to know.

All the best.
MrDistracted

Postby Beatzen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm

thank you,

I have no way to get to canada though, and I'm sort of using this discussion to mull over my scepticism about tibetan buddhism before i decide whether to follow these dreams i've been having (for some time, actually. I had one with medicine buddha a few months ago)

I don't want to cling to the dreams, just if there's a wind coming in that I can set my sails on, I'd like to ride it.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Beatzen

Postby Acchantika » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

Beatzen wrote:
wisdom wrote:
Beatzen wrote:He generally entertains veteran students of ripe age. I'm 24, and he dismissed me a few years ago, in his own kind way.

Is that what he said, or is that your perception of the situation?

My perception. He suggested I look into theravada

Hey Beatzen. I'm 24 too, and the teachers I initially sought out had very similar reactions as in your case. Keep in mind that his suggestion may not have been intended as dismissive, as Tibetan systems purport to include all yanas which are traditionally taught in sequence. As others have said, if you feel a connection, go back, be persistent and be straight up about your reservations/skepticism, in my opinion. Good luck.
Acchantika

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 am

Beatzen wrote:thank you,

I have no way to get to canada though, and I'm sort of using this discussion to mull over my scepticism about tibetan buddhism before i decide whether to follow these dreams i've been having (for some time, actually. I had one with medicine buddha a few months ago)

I don't want to cling to the dreams, just if there's a wind coming in that I can set my sails on, I'd like to ride it.

Since you are considering if you should take these dreams seriously or not, you may find the book Dream Yoga, the Practice of Natural Light a helpful guide:http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Practice-Natural-Light-Revised/dp/1559391618/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1 Image
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby wisdom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Adamantine wrote:
Since you are considering if you should take these dreams seriously or not, you may find the book Dream Yoga, the Practice of Natural Light a helpful guide:http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Practice-Natural-Light-Revised/dp/1559391618/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1 Image

Its a great book.

Dreams are important. If it wasn't for a single dream I had and the fact that I believed it was important and so acted on it, I may not be a Buddhist today.
wisdom

Previous

Return to Personal Experience