Myanmar script preceeded Devanagari

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
U Kyaw Tun

Myanmar script preceeded Devanagari

Post by U Kyaw Tun »

Sanskrit speech in Devanagari script and
Pali speech in Myanmar script (as used in the country of Myanmar)

Skt-Dev does not seem to have a dedicated ब {ba.}-grapheme, and has borrowed {wa.} and had added a diagonal line inside to show {ba.}:
व + diagonal --> ब
We find such a case with ङ {nga.}-grapheme also:
ड + dot --> ङ
Based on these two facts, I am suggesting that Pal-Myan preceded Skt-Dev. Proceeding further, I claim that Myanmar script is the direct descendant of the Asoka script aka Brahmi. I welcome input from my peers. -- UKT120119
tantular

Re: Myanmar script preceeded Devanagari

Post by tantular »

Yes, Myanmar script is a descendant of Brahmi, but so is Devanāgari, and every other script in India, Tibet, and Southeast Asia.

Myanmar and the other scripts of Southeast Asia all descend from Pallava script. Myanmar script evolved from the Pallava script of South India at roughly the same time as Old Nāgari evolved from the post-Gupta script of North India.
U Kyaw Tun

Re: Myanmar script preceeded Devanagari

Post by U Kyaw Tun »

Dear tantular
» Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

I did not reply to your response to my question "Myanmar script preceede Devanagari" for a long time. What you have stated about Burmese speech written in Myanmar script does not fit in with what I have found so far.

Point#1, Myanmar script need not come from southern India when there are overland routes between Nepal and northern Myanmarpré even before the birth of the Buddha. Colonial historians did not pay attention to our native history - particularly the Glass Palace Chronicles in which it was stated that a king who was defeated in battle had come from northern India to found the city of Tagaung long before the birth of the Buddha. The land-route is in use even in modern times. The northern-most route through the Hukong valley was used by refugees in WWII. One of my former M.Sc. students from Myintkyina (northern Myanmarpré) had told me that his own father had come from Nepal to settle in Myintkyina using the overland route. My M.Sc. student was Chandra Prasad who studied under me in Mandalay Univ in 1967-1971. Chandra aka U Thein Aung became one of my staff as Lecturer in Chemisty in Bassein College. Chandra told me about his father before he passed away some time ago.

Point#2. Comparison of Palava script and Myanmar shows that it is easier to write rounded circles the basis of Myanmar script.

Point#3. Burmese-Myanmar script is used both by Left-handed and Right-handed "magicians" who are still practicing their esoteric practices even today. In fact one Right-handed rune with strong similarity to the Swastika known as the {sa.Da.ba.wa. ing:} is an ideograph to show the way to perfection. Though I am a material scientist, I have studied the Right-hand practice to see what all what we moderns call "nonsense" is about.

There are other points which have come to light. Please visit my academic website www.tuninst.net . In it see my present activity on BEPS (Burmese-English-Pali-Sanskrit in Myanmar-IPA-English-Devanagari) version of A. A. Macdonell "A Practical Sanskrit Dictionary.

Sd/ U Kyaw Tun aka Joe Tun

Return to “Language”