Learning about Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
johnnywalker91

Learning about Buddhism

Post by johnnywalker91 »

Hi everyone,

My name is Johnny and I'm a twenty-year-old college student attending school in freezing Massachusetts. I'm new to this forum and I've always been curious about Buddhism but hadn't gotten around to studying it until now. I did sign-up for an Eastern Philosophy and Religion course last summer but that was a survey course, now I want to study it in-depth.

I guess I wouldn't be posting this unless I had some sort of question. So my first question is simply this: can someone explain what the five precepts of Buddhism are all about?
Jesse

Re: Learning about Buddhism

Post by Jesse »

I am fairly new to Buddhism, so take my words with a grain of salt.. I'm sure someone more experienced will answer your question soon.

The way I see the precepts are that they are simply guidelines for living that help reinforce the humble and gentle nature that Buddhism steers you to, and by following these guidelines you are also following the Eightfold Path. http://buddhism.about.com/od/theeightfo ... ldpath.htm

Buddhism to me, is about understanding yourself and the nature of your own mind, with the result being a more accurate view of reality. Within this more accurate perception you will find also many insights into the nature of other phenomena as well.

If you are truly interested in learning, I'm sure many people can offer you reading material.. and as someone who is also new I really, really recommend "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh"
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Buddhas-Tea ... 0767903692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've found TNH explains thing's in a very understandable way(alot of Buddhist reading material is tough to understand, for me), and he is also very inspiring at the same time.

Anyways, I hope I was at least a little helpful, and like I said I'm new so take my opinions lightly.

:)
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

johnnywalker91 wrote: I guess I wouldn't be posting this unless I had some sort of question. So my first question is simply this: can someone explain what the five precepts of Buddhism are all about?
Hi!

The five precepts are the basic moral system of the Buddha. The purpose is to create positive karma and to avoid negative karma and eventually (after many, many lifetimes) to lead to full enlightenment. But in a specific life, if a person just followed the five precepts well (or even perfectly) this by itself would likely lead to rebirth in a god realm (you have to say likely because you don't know what other karma the person already has).

On a deeper level the five precepts can be a gateway to all the other Buddhist teachings. This is sort of the opposite of how many Westerners come to Buddhism through meditation. But traditionally the actual gateway to Buddhist practice were the precepts.

Practicing the five precepts also has the benefit that one makes a connection to the Buddhadharma which then leads to encountering the Buddhadharma in future lifetimes.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

johnnywalker91 wrote: So my first question is simply this: can someone explain what the five precepts of Buddhism are all about?
The Five Precepts
More on Precepts
now I want to study it in-depth
My personal recommedations starting out are:

Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition
Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
johnnywalker91

Post by johnnywalker91 »

ghost01: I read Hanh's "Living Buddha, Living Christ" a long time ago and it was actually the first book that sparked my interest in Buddhism, even though it has sort of faded from my memory, I have to check out his other books. Thanks.
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

He was a theravadin master, but the bare bones approach of Ajahn Chah is a very down to earth place to start. And as another one of my favorites, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche used to say "never forget the hinayana" - He was quite a drinker himself. He liked to say that the theravada was "like a straight shot. No concoctions."

"Food for the Heart" is a collection of his teachings that seems fairly accessable.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

I recommend the Buddhism in every step series for new comers.

Easy to read small booklets thats specific to each topic concerned, including subjects such as rebirth, nirvana, feminism, youth, vegetarianism etc etc

http://blpusa.com/category/buddhism-in- ... tep/page/5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”