banned from zenforuminternational...

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
klqv

banned from zenforuminternational...

Post by klqv »

no idea why!

to be honest, i've felt like the moderators have been unkind / harassing me for like a year... i don't understand it! i never say anything intentionally malicious, so i don't see why i should be treated like that.

has anyone else experienced this kind of bullsh1t on a supposedly buddhist website :namaste: ?
Mr. G

Re: banned from zenforuminternational...

Post by Mr. G »

There are members from that site here, perhaps they can assist. Do you have example posts you've made?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
klqv

Post by klqv »

take your pick!

one day i got drunk and had a go at a friend i have on there... you have my word that that's the only time i've ever deliberately been anything but thought provoking or humorous. i told them that i have suffered mental ill health before, and while they may have in their heads been more lenient to me because of this, i suspect it also means that they don't listen to my explanation of what i was trying to say, whenever someone reports one of my posts.

so i sound paranoid??
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

klqv wrote: has anyone else experienced this kind of bullsh1t on a supposedly buddhist website :namaste: ?
you're joking right? have you ever heard of e-sangha? :rolling:
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

klqv wrote:take your pick!

one day i got drunk and had a go at a friend i have on there... you have my word that that's the only time i've ever deliberately been anything but thought provoking or humorous. i told them that i have suffered mental ill health before, and while they may have in their heads been more lenient to me because of this, i suspect it also means that they don't listen to my explanation of what i was trying to say, whenever someone reports one of my posts.

so i sound paranoid??
No, I personally don't know how moderation works on that forum. I believe there are moderators over there that also participate here.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gad rgyangs wrote:
klqv wrote: has anyone else experienced this kind of bullsh1t on a supposedly buddhist website :namaste: ?

The funny thing is they all quit e-sangha because we were too "draconian" -- but from what I hear, they have instituted very draconion policies.

N
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Namdrol wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:

The funny thing is they all quit e-sangha because we were too "draconian" -- but from what I hear, they have instituted very draconion policies.

N
I always figured you and Nonin had more in common than you both wanted to admit......
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fruitzilla wrote: I always figured you and Nonin had more in common than you both wanted to admit......
One thing people really don't undertand is that I virtually had no hand in making the policies of E-Sangha.

I was just a convientient person to blame.

N
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

Namdrol wrote:
Fruitzilla wrote: I always figured you and Nonin had more in common than you both wanted to admit......
One thing people really don't undertand is that I virtually had no hand in making the policies of E-Sangha.

N
I have no insight into the internal affairs of the moderating team.
You did seems pretty pivotal in the prevailing culture over there though.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I was a mod at E-Sangha.
Namdrol speaks the truth.

Of course, everyone needs a scapegoat when they're disatisfied! :thinking:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fruitzilla wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

N
I have no insight into the internal affairs of the moderating team.
You did seems pretty pivotal in the prevailing culture over there though.
No more so than here.

The fact is that E-sangha was too big, and trying to wear too many hats, being everything to everyone. The fact that it fell apart and reconstituted itself into three separate forums completely makes sense.

N
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fruitzilla wrote: Funny that there's a Theravada, a Mahayana(actually mostly Vajrayana) and a Zen forum by the way. Three pretty different interpretations/temperaments it seems.
That is pretty much exactly how it was at E-Sangha. What made people unhappy was that most of the mods were Tibetan Buddhists, even though we tried hard to have team balanced between Zen, TB and Theravada.

N
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I was wandering around ZFI and it seemed to me that their standards are very high. I wouldn't even try to post something chatty or irreverent there.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Ah to heck with it. Don't be mad or jealous. Become a hippie, like me.

too much intensity messes with ya!!!!!

Kevin
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

This kind of ban or warning is very normal. I also got it, hahaha.

Get ban or no ban, get warning or no warning, when we look at it, actually no difference.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
daelm

Post by daelm »

Namdrol wrote:
gad rgyangs wrote:

N

this is SERIOUS! I THINK CONCERNED MEMBERS OF THE INTERNETS SHOULD * IMMEDIATELY* CREATE FIVE APPARENTLY UNRELATED WEB-PAGES DENOUNCING THESE FORUMS!!!! USING DAY-GLO FONTS!!!! DO IT NOW. THIS IS THE END OF WESTERN BUDDHISM!!!@@!!!!
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

daelm wrote: this is SERIOUS! I THINK CONCERNED MEMBERS OF THE INTERNETS SHOULD * IMMEDIATELY* CREATE FIVE APPARENTLY UNRELATED WEB-PAGES DENOUNCING THESE FORUMS!!!! USING DAY-GLO FONTS!!!! DO IT NOW. THIS IS THE END OF WESTERN BUDDHISM!!!@@!!!!
:lol:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

catmoon wrote:I was wandering around ZFI and it seemed to me that their standards are very high. I wouldn't even try to post something chatty or irreverent there.
Yeah, I'd say their standards are simultaneously very specific and a bit fuzzy too. They want to keep it focused on Zen, but there seems to be some vacillation (or just a very tight definition) for what counts as a "Zen perspective." I don't try to post there anymore as a consequence.

Apropos of culture: the ZFI board is increasingly sage-on-the-stage in function. That is, you come to the board to pose a question to an authority, who dispenses an answer, and you're done. I prefer a more democratic discussion-based model such as the one here at DW.

All this is to say that I agree with Fruitzilla on principle if not on the particulars. Discussion boards do have cultures and those are often determined by the formal and informal structures of authority and legitimation in the leadership. I think the problem Fruitzilla is describing is more prevalent at ZFI than DW, though (if I understand Fruitzilla correctly).
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

• How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I'm not a member there, but knowledgeable members like Venerable Hui Feng and Anders Honore are. I'm glad that they share their knowledge here as well.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Lounge”