YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hi from Sydney - Dhamma Wheel

Hi from Sydney

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Terasi

Hi from Sydney

Postby Terasi » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:37 am

Hello, I am new to Buddhism.

Grew up in a family that goes to temples to beg deities for favours, surrounded by Moslems (cos I was born and lived in Indonesia, Aussie citizen now though), went to Christian schools (in which the more I learned, the more questions appeared in my mind.. such as how could Lot offered his daughters to angry mob, poor daughters, bad bad daddy ... and so on), came across some spin-offs of Mahayana, etc.

I was introduced to Theravada a few years ago but I have been lax. Recently I re-discovered the beauty of the teachings, but I want to take it slowly and with lots of fun! Being someone who always choose comedy and fantasy movies over melancholic dramas, I like smiling, practical, realistic, witty, and happy teachers like Ajahn Brahm, Shravasti Dhammika, Bhante Uttamo and Bhante Pannavaro (non-Indonesians wouldn't know them I think, cos they teach in Bahasa hehe).

Enough rambling, I wish to learn more, and to be peaceful and happy. I am glad to have found this forum, everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable but practical and relaxed. Sounds like my box of chocolateI :woohoo: :clap:
Thank you in advance to the forum boss(es?) and the mods, and everyone here.

Ben

Re: Hi from Sydney

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:00 am

Hi Terasi
Sydney is my hometown!
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, I hope you like it here!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:07 am

Hello Terasi,

Welcome! Glad to have another member from Oz. :group:

I'm from Brisbane.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 am

Greetings from Melbourne.

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Welcome Terasi!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you ben, cooran, retro, and bodom. Please be patient when I post stupid things! :tongue:

:anjali:

OcTavO

Postby OcTavO » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Hello Terasi

:hello:

dhamma_spoon

Postby dhamma_spoon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Terasi -

Greetings! Welcome to the DhammaWheel group of friendly and wise people. Your first impression was : "I am glad to have found this forum, everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable but practical and relaxed. Sounds like my box of chocolate".
Chocolate tastes yummy, but it can make you fat in the long run (if you eat too much). :tongue:

Lots of Dhamma discussion cause one harm -- we may forget to meditate as often as we should. Can you think of another drawback?

It was nice reading your post.

Tep
----

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:09 pm

manas

Postby manas » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Terasi
I'm in Melbourne, so once more, good to see another oz Buddhist practitioner here. The teachings are vast, but there are of course important essentials, such as the four noble truths, and the noble eightfold path. I practised on-and-off with varying degrees of commitment for the last 20 years, and I wish someone had told me this (they probably did a few times, but I did not truly listen): virtue is the foundation for our joy in this path. I recently made the firm resolve to not just grudgingly keep the precepts, but to try to really take them to heart, to see with wisdom WHY we need to follow them, not just 'because the Buddha said so', and to actually follow them even when it brings some inconvenience. My meditation improved overnight when I resolved this, no exaggeration. Which brings me to the second part: use skillful means to find joy in the practice. I had conviction in the Buddha as being the consummate master of mind and the human condition, I knew for myself that his words were (for me) always found to be true when put to the test against my own often bitter experience, but somehow, joyfulness was usually lacking, the path felt 'right, but hard' most of the time. So I advise you to seek out good instruction in meditation, and experiment with different types. (The 'right' one for each person varies according to their individual temperament, etc). Here's some words I had to fight long and hard to realize: the joy that comes when the mind is calmed down and still (no, I've not attained jhana, but the increasing calmness is gratifying), this pleasure only comes from contentment with just being there, just being with the chosen object, and not by wanting the pleasure (sounds like a catch-22, I know). Its not about wanting anything, but about letting go of burdens. And yes, over time, if you give it lots of kindness and patience, your mind will begin to 'learn' how to calm down, and to be content with what is simple...you have no idea how long it has taken me to get even that far! And still much work to do. But yeah, it makes me never want to take a single drug ever again, to not pollute or harm this precious instrument (mind), that when 'well trained' can bring us joy.
I wish you a happy journey in the Dhamma.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

dhamma_spoon

Postby dhamma_spoon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 pm

dhamma_spoon

Postby dhamma_spoon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 am

[quote="manasikara"]Hi Terasi
I practised on-and-off with varying degrees of commitment for the last 20 years, and I wish someone had told me this (they probably did a few times, but I did not truly listen): virtue is the foundation for our joy in this path. I recently made the firm resolve to not just grudgingly keep the precepts, but to try to really take them to heart, to see with wisdom WHY we need to follow them, not just 'because the Buddha said so', and to actually follow them even when it brings some inconvenience. My meditation improved overnight when I resolved this, no exaggeration. Which brings me to the second part: use skillful means to find joy in the practice.[quote]

Hello Manasikara -

I agree with you. A person who has unbroken virtue (Sila) through sense restraint has very little hindrances, so it is easy for him to concentrate.
"... when these five hindrances are abandoned in himself, he regards it as unindebtedness, good health, release from prison, freedom, a place of security. Seeing that they have been abandoned within him, he becomes glad. Glad, he becomes enraptured. Enraptured, his body grows tranquil. His body tranquil, he is sensitive to pleasure. Feeling pleasure, his mind becomes concentrated." :meditate:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Tep
----

Pacific

Postby Pacific » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 am

Hi there. I am in Sydney also. I visited this site several times before, but not for a long time when it was at another address. This thread seems like a good enough place to introduce myself.
I practice mostly in the Theravada but increasingly i'm in the "Buddhayana" :) Mainly because I started in Mahayana some 8 or 9 years ago and drifted towards the Theravada but also because my teacher is buddhayana himself.
wishing you all the best in the Dhamma
Mike

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 am

Greetings Mike,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:35 pm

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Terasi.

24 unopened beer bottles aye? Oh those silly Aussies. :tongue: Why don't you ship them across the ditch so we can show you what to do with it!

But on a serious note though, you could keep a box of chocolates on top of the beer carton and then use the entire thing as an object of meditation to meditate upon. Seriously...you can observe how that insatiable head of desire raises its head.
Last edited by grasshopper on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhamma_spoon

Postby dhamma_spoon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 pm

[quote="Terasi
To Tep,
I will try not to get involved in long discussions, at least at this stage I have nothing to contribute anyway.. hehe.
[/quote]

Hi, Terasi -- :console:

I am not fond of writing/reading long discussions either!
But we are among great thinkers who are quite knowledgable in almost anything you can name, and I have been unable to just sit and watch.
[Soon when I get older -- perhaps a few more weeks from now -- , I'll quit. :zzz: ]

Tep
-----

Pacific

Postby Pacific » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:45 am

Return to “Introductions”