You know you're...

Post by plwk »

a Zen Buddhist when...
mindyourmind

Re: You know you're...

Post by mindyourmind »

You respond to difficult practice questions with 'who is asking that question?'

Or

You convince yourself that excruciating pain in your knees during zazen will cause satori.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

your attitude toward the practice of oryoki moves from annoyance to appreciation to boredom and back to appreciation
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:shrug:
Or naybe when you just laugh and say, "Asking that question is just silly anyhow"?
:geek:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

You go to the store, and while picking up a can of sardines from the bottom shelf, your gaze passes over your shoes, resulting in the thought that shoes and sardines aren't all that different, really.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
plwk

Post by plwk »

ya can't give a straight answer but enjoy the fabulosity of nebulosity...
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

You don't post on Dharma-Wheel...
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Fruitzilla wrote:You don't post on Dharma-Wheel...
The one's that don't are busy posting at the "You know you're a Zen Buddhist modernist" thread on other forums. :tongue:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

plwk wrote:a Zen Buddhist when...
You're asked "Does a dog have Buddha nature or not?"
And you reply "Wu"
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

• How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

You know you're a zen buddhist when you see the Tao in the idiotic things people say about zen.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Here's a thorough one from Yongming Yanshou's Zongjinglu (tr. by Albert Welter):
I now present ten questions in order to form a framework [to test your understanding].

[1] Do you thoroughly understand seeing [one’s] nature, as if delineating and contemplating phenomenal forms similar to someone like Mañjuśrī?
[2] In everything you do—whether encountering situations or dealing with externals, seeing phenomenal forms or listening to sounds, raising a foot or lowering a foot, opening the eyes or closing the eyes—do you illuminate the implicit truth [ zong ] and comply with Buddhism?
[3] Do you read the teachings of each age and the statements of former patriarchs and masters, listening deeply and unafraid, completely understanding the truth in all of their teachings and not doubting it?
[4] In response to different [types of] difficult questions and all manner of trivial queries, are you able to provide [answers] according to the four kinds of eloquent responses and completely resolve the doubts that others have?
[5] At all times and in all situations, does wisdom shine forth unhindered and does thought after thought pass perfectly, without encountering a single dharma that is able to cause obstruction, or being interrupted for even a single instant?
[6] In all the occasions that present themselves to you in the external realm, whether contrary or agreeable, good or bad, do you resist [the desire to] elude them [on the one hand] and are you always conscious of destroying [any attachment to] them [on the other]?
[7] Within the realm of the mind and its objects comprised of a series of one hundred dharmas, do you get to see the extremely subtle essence-nature and the original point of rising of each and every [dharma], without confusing them with the circumstances of birth and death and the organs of sense and their objects?
[8] Regarding the four types of behavior—walking, standing, sitting, and lying—do you address others respectfully and exercise restraint when replying? And when wearing clothes and eating food, performing and carrying out [tasks], do you understand the true reality of each and every grade [in rank]?
[9] When listening to claims that there are Buddhas or there are no Buddhas, there are sentient beings or there are no sentient beings, do you sometimes applaud them and sometimes refute them, sometimes agree and sometime disagree, with a firm unwavering mind?
[10] When you hear about how all the different kinds of wisdom are able to clearly fathom how nature and form complement each other, how li and shi are unhindered, how nonexistence and existence are one and the same phenomena and do not reflect the origin [of phenomena] itself, and how the thousand sages appear in the world, can you avoid doubting it?

Even if you have not actually attained merits like these, you will never conceive the inclination to trespass or deceive, or form ideas of self-indulgence or satisfaction in one’s knowledge.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

:good:

Leave it to Yongming Yanshou to raise the bar!!!
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

()
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Qian Zheng Yi

Re: You know you're a Ch'an Buddhist...

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

time and time again

Return to “Zen”