The Iron Lady

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

The Iron Lady

Post by plwk »

Anybody watching or have watched?

phpBB [video]

I think Argentinians may give it a pass...
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: The Iron Lady

Post by kirtu »

WOW! That's the trailer playing in the UK? It's nothing at all like the trailer playing in the US.

Overall the movie is being panned, declared to take liberties with history, but Meryl Streep's performance is highly praised.

I remember Margaret Thatcher embracing the cowboy Ronald Reagan with a mushroom cloud behind them from a poster popular in Germany in the early 80's.

I'll break away from my projects this weekend (it's the MLK memorial holiday in the US) and see how the movie portrays MT, war monger and champion of the monied classes. Hopefully this is a warning to history (although she did allay fears about Mikhail Gorbatchow in the US thus setting the stage for the peaceful resolution of the Cold War).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

According to the LA times, the people in the UK that hate Thatcher are going ape.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Josef

Post by Josef »

No way!
I bet Streep is great playing a character that is nothing like the real Thatcher.
I am sure this movie glorifies an absolutely dreadful political "leader".
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

My family told me bogey man tales of her growing up and let me tell you she is hated by the majority of Scotland. I remember my mother telling me stories of how people froze to death because of the miners strikes she incited, my mother also worked for the fire service and they were also on strike due to appalling treatment by her goverment as a result people burned to death. She also experiemented with Scotland by introducing the 'Poll tax' no one else in the UK payed this tax until a whole year later - she blamed the riots on communists rather than just admiting it was her unpopular policies. This sounds like the sort of film that idiot Republicans will love.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

phpBB [video]
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

Did northern Irish Catholics get sufferage during or after thatcher?
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

Did northern Irish Catholics get sufferage during or after thatcher?
I have no idea. That is a particular nasty can of worms and most people outside the UK don't really understand the impact of the conflict and indeed most British people outside Northern Ireland don't and to be honest the political system there is still heavily corrupt. I grew up in the last end of the 'troubles' in the 90's scary times, more people killed by the violence than in the Twin Towers, indeed my next door neighbour was a member of the IRA who hid machine guns under the house.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

I think the Irish could teach Israel something about their own troubles.

My family is from Cavan. My grandpa speaks Gaelic and my dad is an Irish citizen. I'm just an American though. Bet I'd be cool and exotic if I moved there though :)
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Zenshin 善心

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

this....
kirtu wrote: Overall the movie is being panned, declared to take liberties with history
and this....
Konchog1 wrote:the people in the UK that hate Thatcher are going ape.
will make me give it a miss, not least because this...
AdmiralJim wrote:My family told me bogey man tales of her growing up and let me tell you she is hated by the majority of Scotland. I remember my mother telling me stories of how people froze to death because of the miners strikes she incited, my mother also worked for the fire service and they were also on strike due to appalling treatment by her goverment as a result people burned to death. She also experiemented with Scotland by introducing the 'Poll tax' no one else in the UK payed this tax until a whole year later - she blamed the riots on communists rather than just admiting it was her unpopular policies. This sounds like the sort of film that idiot Republicans will love.
the damage Thatcher did to the country is extremely undeserving of being glossed over, a shame really as the whole film stinks of a missed opportunity by the sounds of it.
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

Thatcher is like my Ronald Reagan. Before my time, but easy to still blame for the mess we are in. I hope neo-liberalism is dead in wake of bush 2. I don't think the world can handle another free market power play.
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
Anders

Post by Anders »

Konchog1 wrote:According to the LA times, the people in the UK that hate Thatcher are going ape.
They are many. Probably the most despised prime minister in modern UK history.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Anders Honore wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:According to the LA times, the people in the UK that hate Thatcher are going ape.
They are many. Probably the most despised prime minister in modern UK history.
Little wonder.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Lounge”