who dat?

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Zenshin 善心

who dat?

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

okay peeps, on my sojourns around Kyushu mainly, i often bump into bodhisattvas, Dharma protectors and monks and masters whom i haven't got the foggiest how to address. :shrug: ...here's where you come in....

about all i can tell you here is that this was a Shingon temple in Miyajima, can't remember the name though

this fella was stood outside Kokura castle, next to Jizo and a small Inari shrine

Sofukuji temple, Nagasaki

as above.

any help duly appreciated chaps, and i'll update as and when. cheers :smile:
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
plwk

Re: who dat?

Post by plwk »

about all i can tell you here is that this was a Shingon temple in Miyajima, can't remember the name though
Since you mention Shingon, probably Kobo Daishi/Kukai? Is there a vajra in his right hand?
Normally rupas depicting him carrying a vajra whilst seated but the amount of wrist malas on the statue's hand in the photo is obscuring...

this fella was stood outside Kokura castle, next to Jizo and a small Inari shrine
Looks like Batō Kannon 馬頭觀音 Hayagriva Vidyaraja or Hayagriva Avalokitesvara or Horse Head Avalokitesvara (notice the horse head/face on top of the statue head)

Sofukuji temple, Nagasaki
Ah! the central statue is the familiar and famed Dharma Protector Skanda Bodhisattva (J: 韋駄天 Idaten or Ch: 韋馱 Wéi Tuó) honoured mostly in East Asian Mahayana Traditions. He is mentioned in the Golden Light Sutra and a brief mention of his name as Sanankumara (Skt: Sanatkumara) in Maha Samaya Sutta. Also popular in Saivaite Hinduism as a youthful warrior son of Shiva and ascetic practices, in South India, especially amongst the Tamils. No idea on the other statues other than an obvious statue of Hotei?

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva with Sudhana (Good Wealth) and the Dragon Girl (Nagakumari?)
Zenshin 善心

Re: who dat?

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

many thanks plwk, greatly appreciate you filling me in. hopefully during my time here i'll learn what to look for in order to recognise who's who!
Since you mention Shingon, probably Kobo Daishi/Kukai? Is there a vajra in his right hand?
Normally rupas depicting him carrying a vajra whilst seated but the amount of wrist malas on the statue's hand in the photo is obscuring...
i did wonder, and i think that sounds about right. i vaguely recall reading some blurb about a Kukai connection to one of the temples too.
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka

Return to “Media”