Om Mani Padme Hum and the feelings it brings up

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
DeepFriedFunk

Om Mani Padme Hum and the feelings it brings up

Post by DeepFriedFunk »

I'm pretty new to the practices of Buddhism and I'm pretty much starting at basics. In terms of the mindset and actually practicing mindfulness and compassion - these are things I have tried to do for a good few years now, after noticing something profound missing in my life.

I have recently learned the om mani padme hum mantra. Very soothing. So far as my knowledge goes - the idea is to imagine yourself as Chenrezig (this is in lamens terms) with the same posture as regular meditation whilst chanting (i often find listening to recordings helps a lot)? Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the thing that interests me in Buddhism above all other religions is the proof is in the pudding. I'm the type of person that needs proof rather than blind faith and since learning and practicing Buddha's teachings life hasn't been easier but it's certainly been better, hence, my proof.

Now while I find meditation soothing and relaxing and positive to my every day life, practicing the Mantra seems to bring up a lot more emotion. About humanity, people I love, the world and the things around us and realization of the sheer amount of suffering I/We have come to accept in everyday life. But also hope for us - which I haven't had in a long time. I have hope in people. In the good in man, not the evil that I seemed to focus on so much in the past.

Now - is this just me becoming more humble and putting it down to practicing this mantra? Or does the mantra teach this humbleness? You people don't know me well - but this is a profound change of mind for me - i was growing to hate the human race and myself. Is this a direct result of practicing the Mantra. I certainly feel more erm... compassionate?

Please correct me if im wrong in any of this i feel like im taking the first few steps up a pretty huge mountain of knowledge. Also any other basic practices and ideas as the small amount I have learned has been very rewarding.

Peace. Josh.
Bonsai Doug

Re: Om mani padme hum and the feelings it brings up

Post by Bonsai Doug »

I don't have a lot of answers, but I've learned that Tibetan Buddhists believe that saying the mantra (prayer),
Om Mani Padme Hum, out loud or silently to oneself, invokes the powerful benevolent attention and blessings
of Chenrezig (Avalokiteshvara/Guānyīn/Kwan Yin), the embodiment of compassion. It may very well be the
most widely used of all Buddhist mantras. I usually see its meaning as: "Behold! The jewel in the lotus!"
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I believe conebeckham mentioned that the book by Bokar Rinpoche had a Chenrezig practice that may not require empowerment. I think it was "Chenrezig, Lord of Love: Principles and Methods of Deity Meditation"
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

DeepFriedFunk wrote: Now - is this just me becoming more humble and putting it down to practicing this mantra? Or does the mantra teach this humbleness? You people don't know me well - but this is a profound change of mind for me - i was growing to hate the human race and myself. Is this a direct result of practicing the Mantra. I certainly feel more erm... compassionate?

Please correct me if im wrong in any of this i feel like im taking the first few steps up a pretty huge mountain of knowledge. Also any other basic practices and ideas as the small amount I have learned has been very rewarding.

Peace. Josh.

I think you could look at it as a tantric-technology to invoke your own innate compassionate wisdom-mind. It works, and you are noticing it works... so that should increase your confidence and faith and you should likewise expand on your efforts. There is an incredible book I highly recommend to you that teaches the practice of the mani mantra from every level, up to the most profound. It should answer all of your questions and more. http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Treasure-En ... 0877734933

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Anders

Post by Anders »

Part of it is due to the meditative effect that chanting mantras has.

I believe part of it is also due to the influence of Guanyin/Avalokiteshvara/Chenrezig her/him-self. I've had several experiences that can only be described as 'empowerment' by guanyin. And sometimes, when I chant the mantra I also get various states of minds and perceptions on myself, the world and others that are much too sudden and powerful to be ascribed to the meditative effect of mantra chanting (I say this based on my experience with meditation in general - they just don't follow the patterns of meditative cultivation).

If you start hanging out with practitioners who actually devote a lot of time to this mantra, you will hear a lot of stories. But I believe guanyin is also considered to be the most active Bodhisattva here in the saha world and the most likely to respond to prayers, mantras and such.

The way I was taught that prayers work in Buddhism is basically that when one reaches out to bodhisattvas and is heard then they help to the extent they can - the extent they can is by and large to the extent that they can find openings in your own heartmind to work with. If you don't give them anything to work with, they won't. I once asked a teacher of mine "how do you know if your prayer has been answered?" "the heartmind knows". I reckon, which is natural given the nature of Buddhism, that most 'miraculous activity' conducted by Bodhisattvas aren't done on the physical level, but by stimulating, supporting and opening the hearts and minds internally of sentient beings.
Last edited by Anders on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Post by Anders »

Mr. G wrote:I believe conebeckham mentioned that the book by Bokar Rinpoche had a Chenrezig practice that may not require empowerment. I think it was "Chenrezig, Lord of Love: Principles and Methods of Deity Meditation"
"Om Mani Padme Hum" doesn't require any empowerments. Nor does simply calling on his name "namo avalokiteshvara bodhisattva". Both very efficacious.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Anders Honore wrote:
If you start hanging out with practitioners who actually devote a lot of time to this mantra, you will hear a lot of stories.
That's not fair...you can't keep us in suspense like that! :lol:
"Om Mani Padme Hum" doesn't require any empowerments. Nor does simply calling on his name "namo avalokiteshvara bodhisattva". Both very efficacious
Yup, absolutely. I was inferring that DFF was looking to deepen their practice from a Vajrayana POV.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

It's also said that each syllable of the mantra purifies the karmic traces that bind one to rebirth within one of the 6-realms of existence: so it "seals the doors to the 6 realms", namely through purifying each of the negative afflictive emotions that bind one to each realm. Here is a chart:

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

I also have noticed incredible changes in my life as well DFF.
I chant the Mani mantra each morning during my practice, 1 mala, so 108 times.
It does seem to bring me peace as well. I have also added chanting it to my evening practice.
Here is a description of the affects of this powerful mantra I have found, at the FPMT website:
The Benefits of Chanting om mani padme hum
by Lama Zopa Rinpoche

The benefits of reciting the Compassion Buddha mantra are infinite, like the limitless sky.

Even if you don’t have much intellectual understanding of Dharma, even if the only thing you know is om mani padme hum, still the happiest life is one lived with an attitude free of the eight worldly concerns. If you live your life with the pure attitude free of attachment clinging to this life and simply spend your life chanting om mani padme hum—this six-syllable mantra that is the essence of all Dharma—that’s the purest Dharma.

It looks very simple, very easy to recite. But if you think of the benefits, it’s not at all simple. Here, I’d to mention just the essence of its infinite benefits.

Reciting the Compassion Buddha mantra just once completely purifies the four defeats of breaking the four root vows of self-liberation and the five uninterrupted negative karmas1.

It is also mentioned in the tantras that by reciting this mantra you achieve the four qualities of being born in the Amitabha Buddha pure land and other pure lands; at the time of death, seeing Buddha and lights appearing in the sky; the devas making you offerings; and never being reborn in the hell, hungry ghost or animals realms. You will be reborn in the pure land of Buddha or as a happy transmigratory being.

When one who recites ten malas a day goes swimming, whether in a river, an ocean or some other body of water, the water that touches that person’s body gets blessed.

It is said that up to seven generations of that person’s descendents won’t get reborn in the lower realms. The reason for this is that due to the power of mantra, the body is blessed by the person reciting the mantra and visualizing their body in form of the holy body of Chenrezig. Therefore, the body becomes so powerful, so blessed that this affects the consciousness up to seven generations and has the effect that if one dies with a non-virtuous thought, one is not reborn in a lower realm.

Thus, when a person who has recited ten malas of om mani padme hum a day goes into a river or an ocean, the water that touches the person’s body gets blessed, and this blessed water then purifies all the billions and billions of sentient beings in the water. So it’s unbelievably beneficial; this person saves the animals in that water from the most unbelievable suffering of the lower realms.

When such a person walks down a road and the wind touches his or her body and then goes on to touch insects, their negative karma gets purified and causes them to have a good rebirth. Similarly, when such a person does massage or otherwise touches others’ bodies, those people’s negative karma also gets purified.

Such a person becomes meaningful to behold; being seen and touched becomes a means of liberating other sentient beings. This means that even the person’s breath touching the bodies of other sentient beings purifies their negative karma. Anybody who drinks the water in which such a person has swum gets purified.

We are unbelievably fortunate to have met the Dharma and to have the opportunity to do recitation and meditation on the Compassion Buddha. It is an easy way of purifying whatever negative karma we have collected, in not only this life but in many previous lives as well.

Because we have met the Buddhadharma, and especially this method--the practice of Compassion Buddha and recitation of his mantra--it is easy to purify negative karma and collect extensive merit and thus to achieve enlightenment. We are unbelievably fortunate.

Therefore, there is nothing more foolish than not taking advantage of this great opportunity. Normally, we get continuously distracted and waste our lives. Not only that, but all the actions done with ego and with the three poisonous minds of anger, attachment and ignorance create negative karma, the cause of suffering. In all existence, there is nothing more foolish than using this perfect human body to create only suffering.

In places such as Tibet, Nepal, India and Ladakh, there’s a well-established tradition of doing the Compassion Buddha retreat and reciting 100 million om mani padme hum mantras. The one held at Chenrezig Institute was the first such retreat held in the West and the first in the FPMT organization. This is to happen there once each year—only once each year!

If you’re feeling guilt in your life, you can overcome this through the purification of attending this retreat.

The retreat is not just chanting mantras with sadhanas, but also includes taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts, if not every day, at least frequently. Whatever merit you collect that day increases 100,000 times. This becomes such an easy and quick way to purify, collect extensive merit, achieve enlightenment and liberate sentient beings from unimaginable suffering and bring them to enlightenment quickly.

Whoever attends a mani retreat is unbelievably fortunate. Even if you can’t attend the whole retreat, you can participate for two months, one month or at least a few weeks. You can do even just one week. I especially hope this retreat will also be established in Mongolia, since their main food is meat and so many animals are killed there every day. This practice helps purify that. After our temple in Mongolia has been built, I hope that thousands of people will attend mani retreats there. Gradually too, I would like this retreat to be established in other parts of the West.

This retreat also blesses the country where it is held and brings so much peace, happiness and prosperity.

Even if you know the teachings on how to meditate on bodhicitta, you still need to receive the special blessings of the deity, Compassion Buddha. You receive these by doing the meditation and recitation we practice in the mani retreat. Therefore, recitation of om mani padme hum is one way to actualize bodhicitta--to transform your mind into bodhicitta and make your meditation on bodhicitta effective.

Generally, according to my experience, in my home of Solu Khumbu in the Himalayas of Nepal, there are people who live their lives chanting om mani padme hum but have no idea of the three principal aspects of the path--renunciation, bodhicitta and the right view of emptiness--not even the words. Even though they can’t read and don’t even know the alphabet, they have great devotion to compassion and bodhicitta and live their lives reciting om mani padme hum. Such people are warm-hearted, very kind, very compassionate. This is proof from my experience that it has the effect of transforming the mind into a good heart and compassion.

Without bodhicitta, you cannot cause all the happiness for all sentient beings. You cannot do perfect work for all sentient beings, and you cannot achieve the complete qualities of the realizations and cessation, even for yourself.
Thank you Adamantine for the chart with the description of the meanings of this mantra.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
DeepFriedFunk

Post by DeepFriedFunk »

Well whether it is the Dharma in general or the Om omani padme hum mantra, something is going right - me and my life are changing and in turn i am far more able to help others. All of my friends thought this was just some pretentious bull (I'm pretty young - 23.) They thought it was just me trying to stand out from the crowd again.

Instead I told them nothing of my practice and practiced the Dharma in private. Everyone keeps mentioning how well I'm doing (I was a heavy poly drug user - a year clean but it takes a long time for you to feel mentally sound), how much I've grown and developed as a person in the past six months.

Most importantly I now realize there is good in humanity and in everyone, I just have to look. And stop watching the news....

PS. As i originally said I have only just begun to study Buddha's teachings. A Mala - I am guessing it is like a round of chanting? Is it always 108? and how do you guys count?

Namasta,

Joshua
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I used to use a bodhi seed mala with 108 beads. I switched over to a juzu called a nikka - don't have to mess around with counters while doing a lot of recitations.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150104289813827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Dave The Seeker

A Mala is a string of prayer beads my friend
There are 108 on them. Divided into 4 "sections" of 27.
There is also a Guru bead and I believe it's called a death bead.
Or also called mother and father beads, same positions, the start and the middle, I have read somewhere.
Search the site there are threads about them here.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Some questions regarding the topic:
1) Who is the author of the mantra? Buddha himself or Padmansabhava (sorry, i think is not that the correct name but a similar one)?
2) Isnt Chenzrig the same as Mahastmaprapta?
3) How can a mantra purify the karma, even of others? Istn said that even Buddhas cannot change the karma effects of other beings?
4) Do you see this mantra as more powerful than Namo Amithaba Buddha mantra?

Regarding the positive effects i believe in you since i feel the same effects because of Namo Amithaba Buddha mantra.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Nosta wrote:Some questions regarding the topic:
1) Who is the author of the mantra? Buddha himself or Padmansabhava (sorry, i think is not that the correct name but a similar one)?
Shakyamuni Buddha pronounced it in the Karandavyuha Sutra coming from Amitabha.
2) Isnt Chenzrig the same as Mahastmaprapta?
Different, though both are usually depicted with Amitabha.
3) How can a mantra purify the karma, even of others? Istn said that even Buddhas cannot change the karma effects of other beings?
merit transference.

Tirokudda Kanda
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thank you for being so quick answering my questions Mr.G, but i really never understood completly this "merit" thing. Can you explain me a little more about it?

Thank you. :namaste:
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Nosta wrote:Thank you for being so quick answering my questions Mr.G, but i really never understood completly this "merit" thing. Can you explain me a little more about it?

Sharing or Dedication of Merits

Also you can think of how Dharmakara Bodhisattva accumulated the merits necessary create his Buddha-field when he became Amitabha so that when others recite his name or recollect him, we share in those merits and benefit. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Dave The Seeker

DFF, I just saw this in the media forum, but copied it for you here.
This has a great explanation of the Mantra.
affter333 wrote:Six syllable Mantra (Info and Great MP3)

---------------------------------------------------
Six Syllable Mantra (Great Chant)(MP3 FreeDomain):

Direct Download : http://ff05d05.filefactory.com/dlp/c05c ... DMZ_v6.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Backup Download : http://rapidshare.com/files/2448540962/LZDMZ_v6.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Mantra/Info on my webpage : http://lzdmz.webs.com/english.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OM MANI PADME HUM

If you are able to constantly recite the Six-Character Great Bright Mantra,
there will be six paths of light changing the darkness of the six destinies
into brightness.

These six characters together make up the Six Character Great Bright Mantra,
each one individually is able to emit brilliant light.

Mantras and their meanings are studied in the Secret School, one of the five
schools into whichthe principles of the Buddha's teachings are divided:

1) the Dhyana School

2) the Teaching School

3) the Vinaya School

4) the Secret School

5) the Pure Land School

The Dhyana School teaches constant investigation of dhyana meditation; the Teaching School,
lecturing sutras and speaking dharma; the Vinaya School, exclusive maintenance of moral
prohibitions: "awesome, majestic, and pure in vinaya, great models for the three realms". Then
there is the Secret School. Secret means "no mutual knowing". The Pure Land School teaches the
exclusive mindfulness and recitation of "Na Mo A Mi T'o Fo", the "Vast Six Character Name".

The first character is "nan (Sanskrit: om)". When you recite "nan" once, all ghosts and spirits
must place their palms together. Why do they put their palms together? To maintain the rules and
regulations. Conforming to the regulations, they follow the correct way. Recite this one
character and all ghosts and spirits do not dare rebel and create confusion; they do not dare
disobey orders. This is called leading sound-meaning, i.e. lead to the mantra to be mentioned
below. This is the first sound in the mantra.

"Ma ni (Sanskrit: mani)" means "wisdom silence". Using wisdom one is able to understand all
principles, and thus is able to be silently extinguished, without production. It is also defined
as "separating from filth" which means leaving all dust and filth. It can be compared to the
"precious as-you-will pearl" which is extremely pure, with no defilement. Whatever excellence
you wish to bring forth, if you have the "precious as-you-will pearl" it can be done. It can
also fulfill your wishes in accord with your thoughts. Every vow you make will be fulfilled.
These are its benefits.

"Pa mi (Sanskrit: padme) actually should read "pa t'e mi". It means "light perfectly
illuminating", and is also defined as "the opening of the lotus". It is analogous to the
wonderful lotus flower, which can complete, perfect, and fulfill, without obstruction. It is the
wonderful mind of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva. This is "pa mi".

Next comes "hung ( Sanskrit: hum) which means "put forth". Anything at all can be born from this
character "hung". It also means "to protect and support". Recite this character and all Dharma
protectors and good spirits come to support and protect you. It also means "eradicating
disasters". Recite this character and whatever difficulties there are will be eradicated. It
also means "success"; whatever you cultivate can be accomplished.

Recite the Six-Character Great Bright Mantra once, and the immeasurable Buddhas, Bodhisattvas,
and Vajra Dharma protectors constantly support and protect you. Therefore, when Avalokitesvara
Bodhisattva finished saying this Six-Character Great Bright Mantra, there were seven million
Buddhas who came to support, protect, and surround him. The strength and function of the
Six-Character Great Bright Mantra are inconceivable, the intertwining of the response and way
unimaginable; therefore it is called the Secret School. If one were to explain in detail, the
meanings would be immeasurable and unlimited; they cannot be completely spoken.

Now I will tell you a little of that which cannot be told of the Secret School's strength. Why
do I say "of that which cannot be told"? Because my talking does not even contain one
ten-thousandth part of it. What is it? If you are able to constantly recite and maintain the
Six-Character Great Bright Mantra, there will be six paths of light changing the darkness of the
six paths into brightness. It is necessary that you turn your mind to one when reciting this
mantra to obtain this type of samadhi. Then, not only will the six paths put forth light, but
all of the ten dharma realms will become the "great light bright treasury". So now we know that
the Six-Character Great Bright Mantra has great strength. I hope that everyone will set aside
time from his or her activities to recite the Six-Character Great Bright Mantra.

LECTURE GIVEN BY TRIPITAKA MASTER HSUAN HUA, 1971

=======================================================
Six Syllable Mantra (Great Chant)(MP3 FreeDomain):

Direct Download : http://ff05d05.filefactory.com/dlp/c05c ... DMZ_v6.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Backup Download : http://rapidshare.com/files/2448540962/LZDMZ_v6.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Mantra/Info on my webpage : http://lzdmz.webs.com/english.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=======================================================

OM MANI PADME HUM

Each syllable in this six syllable Mantra liberates us from one realm of
suffering out of each of the six realms of suffering filled existence.

OM - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of bliss and pride in the
samsaric realm of the Gods.

MA - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of jealousy and lust for
entertainment in the samsaric realm of Demi-Gods.

NI - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of passion and desire in the
samsaric realm of Humans.

PAD - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of stupidity and prejudice
in the samsaric realm of animals.

ME - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of poverty and possessiveness
in the samsaric realm of hungry ghosts.

HUM - liberates and purifies us from the emotions of agression and hatred in
the samsaric realm of hell.

In this way by freeing our consciousness, our spirit energy from the
neurotic attachments that our senses are bonded with through the cravings
and aversions constantly taking place inside of us ...

and in this way creating negative karmas that keep us bound to sufferings
and also creating samsara.

The mantra OM MANI PADME HUM purifies us at 3 levels -

Mind, Speech and Body

and in this way liberates us from all our negative karmas.

Six Syllable Mantra (MP3):

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Mr. G wrote:
Nosta wrote:Thank you for being so quick answering my questions Mr.G, but i really never understood completly this "merit" thing. Can you explain me a little more about it?

Sharing or Dedication of Merits

Also you can think of how Dharmakara Bodhisattva accumulated the merits necessary create his Buddha-field when he became Amitabha so that when others recite his name or recollect him, we share in those merits and benefit. :smile:

Thank you :)
Anders

Post by Anders »

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

:thumbsup:

I like this part from the essay:

• Avalokiteshvara is truly unlike any other deity. Many people are attracted to the wrathful deities, like Vajrakilaya, Hayagriva, Guru Dragpo, and so forth, and want to accomplish them, but unless one knows very well and exactly how to practice the generation and completion stage inner tantric practices of the wrathful deities, it is very difficult to accomplish them. Avalokiteshvara, however, is very simple to accomplish, and the mani mantra is very easy to recite. So keep these things in mind.

There are many who think that the Avalokiteshvara practice and the mani mantra are just for simple folks and children and old people, not for real practitioners and scholars. This attitude is based on ignorance; it is absolutely mistaken. In fact, of all deities, Avalokiteshvara is the principal deity and the most important. This is true today and it was true in the past, during the time of the great pandits and mahasiddhas of India, almost all of whom achieved their realization through their practice of Avalokiteshvara. Each and every one of them had visions of Avalokiteshvara, and it was through those visions that they received their spiritual attainments and realizations. And in Tibet, especially, all the greatest masters had the strongest connection with Avalokiteshvara. They had visions of Avalokiteshvara, they were given prophetic indications from Avalokiteshvara directly, and it was through Avalokiteshvara that they achieved spiritual realizations.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”