YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Who's on Facebook? - Dhamma Wheel

Who's on Facebook?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Tex

Who's on Facebook?

Postby Tex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Okay, so I've finally gotten sucked into this thing, at least somewhat. Papanca, I know, but it seems to be a useful tool as I've made contact with a few people I hadn't heard from in years, which is pretty cool.

It would be interesting to learn a little more about some of you, so shoot me a PM if you want to be friends on there.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

jcsuperstar

Re: Who's on Facebook?

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 pm

look up dhammawheel on there and join the group there too
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Tex

Postby Tex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Didn't even know there was one, I'll do that now, thanks.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Tex

Postby Tex » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah, it does, that's hilarious!

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:57 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 am

I'm in the Facebook too. Incidentally, I think I saw you joined the Uposatha Observance Club!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:23 am

Here is my profile page:

http://www.facebook.com/davidnsnyderphd

But don't anyone get offended if I don't confirm a 'friend request' since I'm usually maxed out at the 5,000 friend limit. Every once in a while I try to 'purge' out some to make room to approve some new requests and sometimes I accidentally 'de-friend' someone from here, but otherwise I prefer to have as many from here as possible.

Dhamma Wheel on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9 ... 623&ref=nf

Currently 3,046 members!

Dhamma Wiki on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwDhamma ... 5795218539

Currently 2,558 'fans' !

No member or fan limits on the above two groups.

Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:51 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:08 am

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 0326314672

Tex (or anyone else), send me a message first so i know it's from dhamma wheel :smile:
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:14 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:15 am

Hi all

For those of you who want me to be their friend on facebook - please send me a pm first and I'll pass on my details.
Be warned that I visit and contribute to my facebook page very infrequently and with my relocation coming up this Tues/Wed, I will be on facebook even less often.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:04 am

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:02 am

I'm on facebook (incidentally, I got your friend request) but I tend to have very few friends on there, mostly family and fleshspace friends with just a few exceptions. My new music project is on facebook though, if you fancy checking it out and maybe becomming a fan. I need 25 fans to get a shorter URL, I currently have 21 and only two of them are I :). The link is in my signature

Northernbuck

Postby Northernbuck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 am

Hi all. I just sent out a couple of requests. Don't be alarmed they all say the same thing "Hi [insert name]. I'm Northernbuck from the Dhamma Wheel site." Just got lazy with the cut and paste.

But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 am

Oh Gawd! The pressure has just gone up.

What is WRONG with you people! :tongue:

I always avoided facebook 'cause I figured "didn't want anything to do with them then, why would I want to talke with 'em now?" Referring, of course, to high school classmates. It doesn't seem any of my (few) old chums are actually on there.

:thinking:

I guess that, if any of you get a request from a weirdo, you'll know that I've cracked. :roll:

Return to “Lounge”