Garlic, leeks and onions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Dave The Seeker

Re: Garlic, leeks and onions

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Was just actually looking and dang near all the oriental seasoning sauces, except soy sauce, have one or both of these in them.
I've never had a problem with gas because of either.....but kissing....well :lol:

Kindest wishes
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
lotwell

Post by lotwell »

I don't think the Buddha ever taught anything about garlic, leeks, or onions but I know what your are thinking of. And it has nothing to do with smell ; )

Garlic and Onion (and I suppose leek as well) consume the entire organism when harvested. It is common for Jain and some Hindus to not eat garlic and onions due to ahimsa.

lotwell
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Did Buddha eat that last meal knowning it was going to be his end?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I believe he did, yes.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

What does Buddha say about eating bad things knowingly?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

It would depend a great deal on the circumstances. A Buddha doing such a thing would have the enormous advantage of knowing exactly how the karma would work out. So, were you referring to ordering onions on your pizza or what?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

catmoon wrote:It would depend a great deal on the circumstances. A Buddha doing such a thing would have the enormous advantage of knowing exactly how the karma would work out. So, were you referring to ordering onions on your pizza or what?

It is better for me to ask questions than to take guesses. No pizza. I am wondering if things one may learn in buddhism are so bendable that the original path just had many additions that leads to distraction to what is really important. The other thought is on impermanence, if everything is subject to impermanence does that mean buddha's teachings so one can be enlightened impermanent?

Which like bruce lee kept a strong foundation of old teachings and kept what was the most effective. In doing that had to seek that out in his own mind than to follow what is said to the book.

I am not asking these things to be provocative. I am asking because much of this is new to me and I want to learn. If I am really far off it would be nice to understand the facts.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Distorted wrote:
I am wondering if things one may learn in buddhism are so bendable that the original path just had many additions that leads to distraction to what is really important.
Sure, no different than anything else.
The other thought is on impermanence, if everything is subject to impermanence does that mean buddha's teachings so one can be enlightened impermanent?
From the Kosa:

• 4b-c. Conditioned dharmas, with the exception of the Path, are
    impure.

5a-b. The undefiled truth of the Path and the three unconditioned
    things are pure.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Mr. G wrote:
Distorted wrote:
I am wondering if things one may learn in buddhism are so bendable that the original path just had many additions that leads to distraction to what is really important.
Sure, no different than anything else.
The other thought is on impermanence, if everything is subject to impermanence does that mean buddha's teachings so one can be enlightened impermanent?
From the Kosa:

• 4b-c. Conditioned dharmas, with the exception of the Path, are
    impure.

5a-b. The undefiled truth of the Path and the three unconditioned
    things are pure.

Thank you, that was very helpful. :thumbsup:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

lotwell wrote:I don't think the Buddha ever taught anything about garlic, leeks, or onions but I know what your are thinking of. And it has nothing to do with smell ; )

Garlic and Onion (and I suppose leek as well) consume the entire organism when harvested. It is common for Jain and some Hindus to not eat garlic and onions due to ahimsa.

lotwell
But then you'd lump those together with beets, carrots, mushrooms, lettuce, etc. . usually, they fall into their own category of restriction, so it is clearly not an ahimsa issue..
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
lotwell

Post by lotwell »

Adamantine wrote:
lotwell wrote:I don't think the Buddha ever taught anything about garlic, leeks, or onions but I know what your are thinking of. And it has nothing to do with smell ; )

lotwell
But then you'd lump those together with beets, carrots, mushrooms, lettuce, etc. . usually, they fall into their own category of restriction, so it is clearly not an ahimsa issue..
Yes, those are all root vegetables except mushrooms (which are the sexual organs actually) and lettuce. I wasn't claiming that these are restricted in Buddhism but meant to suggest that the OP was confusing Jain dietary restrictions with Buddhist.

Lotwell
Dave The Seeker

I have been looking through the book I read this in.
"Awakening the Buddha within" by Lama Surya Das, but have yet to come across the page.

I am sure he stated in the book about these vegetables to not be consumed. I'll keep looking and hopefully find the page so I can post the paragraph it was written in, So it won't seem to be taken out of context.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

I read this in a teaching by Lama Zopa Rinpoche

In things you should not give when practicing generosity:
obliging ordained people to take things they cannot, such as garlic, meat or wine, or to give them such things as food left on others' plates or dirty food.
Still wondering about this, seems it is something not to be used :shrug:

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

The Seeker wrote:Was just actually looking and dang near all the oriental seasoning sauces, except soy sauce, have one or both of these in them.
I've never had a problem with gas because of either.....but kissing....well :lol:

Kindest wishes
Most processed seasoning sauces will have garlic and/or onions, yes.

However, if you cook Chinese vegetarian style, then your main condiments will be sesame seed oil, soya sauce and other spices like cinnamon.

Taiwanese vegetarian is especially light on sauces, but quite tasty.
Dave The Seeker

Thanks for the reply and information Huseng.
I really appreciate it.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

I have heard some indians say that onions cause aggression. Its a cutural teaching that actually isn't correct, I dont think there is any correlation between aggression and onion eating....but if people belived that eating onions could cause agression, you can see why it was warned not to eat them.
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

Sorry to answer to this old thread.

Do this mean that we should abstain from eating garlics?
Or is this just a cultural influence? I don't see me without garlic on my bread lol
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Garlic, leeks and onions tend to give me indigestion at the least or flatulence at the worst. I tend not to eat them before meditation or going out etc.

Gassho,
Seishin
zamotcr

Post by zamotcr »

I don't know, but I love garlic and onions. So I think I have ghosts kissing me lol.

But seriusly, I don't know how to take all of this, is just cultural or will I reborn on a hell after dead? lol
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

zamotcr wrote:I don't know, but I love garlic and onions. So I think I have ghosts kissing me lol.

But seriusly, I don't know how to take all of this, is just cultural or will I reborn on a hell after dead? lol
I had always thought that this rule was for monastics only and not for lay people. But one of the more learned persons on this forum might correct that point.

Gassho,
Seishin.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”