Ganesh in Tibetan Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Ganesh in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Malcolm »

Mandarava wrote:
Namdrol where do you get the info that Saraswat is Shiva's wife? Can you quote it please as tradtionally she is viewed as the wife of Brahma.
http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_god ... aswati.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the initiation text of the white Sarsvati cycle. She can also be Brahma's wife, just as she is Manjuśrī's consort. These goddesss have a busy schedule!

N
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Ganapati:

http://www.himalayanart.org/search/sear ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Lama Dawa teaches a dag-nang Lakshmi Protector practice that includes Ganesh as one of Lakshmi's retinue.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

pemachophel wrote:Lama Dawa teaches a dag-nang Lakshmi Protector practice that includes Ganesh as one of Lakshmi's retinue.
What is the source, is it a Dudjom ter?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara (Sanskrit: Aryaganpatihridaya; Tibetan: 'Phags pa Tshogs kyi dDag po'I sNiying po):

"Homage to all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

"Thus have I once heard:

"The Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha together with a great community of 1250 monks and of Boddhisattva-Mahasattvas. At that time the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, 'O Ananda, the tasks of anyone who comprehends the Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara will all be accomplished. One's wishes are fulfilled by comprehending it and every mantra will bring attainment:'

"'Tadyatha / Namo stute-maha-ganapataye svaha / Om kata kata / Mata mata / Dara dara / vidara vidara / Hana hana / Grihna grihna / Dhava dhava / Bhamja Bhamja / Stambha stambha / Jambha jambha / Moha moha / Dehi dehi / Dapaya Dapaya / Dhana dhanya sidhi me prayaccha samaya-manu-smara maharudra vacaniye svaha / Om kuru kuru svaha / Om turu turu / Om muru muru svaha / Om bava samti vasu pushtim kuru svaha / Adguta bindu kshabhita mahavidara / Sama-gacchati mahabaya / Mahabala / Mahavarakra / Mahahasti / Maha-dakshini-ya praci-dayami svaha / Om kuru kuru / Curu curu / Muru muru / Om ga ga ga ga ga ga ga ga / Om namo nama svaha

"'Oh Ananda, when any son of noble family, daughter of noble family, monk, nun, lay man or lay woman goes to a place of worship other than where the Three Jewels (are worshipped) or enters the palace retinue of a king and practices the mantras (recited in that place) and begins with this Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara all one's tasks will be accomplished. Have no doubts about it. If one is mindful (of this mantra) in fights, arguments, confusions, and wars, they will all be pacified. If you get up early each morning and recite it, you will attain learnedness. Yakshas, rakshasa and dakini will not rob your health but will promise to stay far away.'

"After the Blessed One proclaimed these things, the gathering and everyone in it, along with the world with its gods, men, demigods, and gandharvas, rejoiced and praised the Blessed One's teaching. This completes the Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara."
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Adamantine,

No, it is Lama Dawa's own pure vision of a couple of summers ago at his retreat land in Lansing, IA.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

pemachophel wrote:Adamantine,

No, it is Lama Dawa's own pure vision of a couple of summers ago at his retreat land in Lansing, IA.

Oh wow, very interesting.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Buddhas got power.

Kevin
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Is Durga present in Tibetan Buddhism?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Uniltiranyu

Post by Uniltiranyu »

Ganesh is, according to a documentary I recently watched, the patron of eunuchs in India.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Konchog1 wrote:Is Durga present in Tibetan Buddhism?
Yup, I just discovered this but I forget the Tibetan name she carries... hopefully someone else can fill in.
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Konchog1 wrote:Is Durga present in Tibetan Buddhism?
According to some, Palden Lhamo (Sri Devi or Mahakali, the consort of Mahakala) is the equivalent of Durga.
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Jangchup Donden wrote:How is Ganesh viewed in Tibetan Buddhism?

I was recently given a (rather nice) jeweled painting of him and was wondering what to do with it.
I heard someone ask the same question from a Tibetan Lama and the answer was: "Put it on your altar, Ganesh is the commander of Maras so it's useful to have him there."
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Destiny

Post by Destiny »

'Oh Ananda, when any son of noble family, daughter of noble family, monk, nun, lay man or lay woman goes to a place of worship other than where the Three Jewels (are worshipped) or enters the palace retinue of a king and practices the mantras (recited in that place) and begins with this Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara all one's tasks will be accomplished. Have no doubts about it.
Can someone clarify this statement ? Does that mean that by using that mantra, any other non-buddhist mantras become buddhist and brings realization?

I have another question: there is a clear connection between White Mahakala (Gonkar) and Ganesh - or at least that's what I've understood.
If one practice white mahakala sadhana, do you think that if one recite the usual ganesha mantra (om gam ganapataye namaha) his practice will be enhanced?

And what is the connection between the Tso Dak that are under Gonkar's feet and Ganapati? To be more precise, what are the tso dak and their role in Vajrayana buddhism?

Thanks
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Destiny wrote:
'Oh Ananda, when any son of noble family, daughter of noble family, monk, nun, lay man or lay woman goes to a place of worship other than where the Three Jewels (are worshipped) or enters the palace retinue of a king and practices the mantras (recited in that place) and begins with this Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara all one's tasks will be accomplished. Have no doubts about it.
Can someone clarify this statement ? Does that mean that by using that mantra, any other non-buddhist mantras become buddhist and brings realization?

I have another question: there is a clear connection between White Mahakala (Gonkar) and Ganesh - or at least that's what I've understood.
If one practice white mahakala sadhana, do you think that if one recite the usual ganesha mantra (om gam ganapataye namaha) his practice will be enhanced?

And what is the connection between the Tso Dak that are under Gonkar's feet and Ganapati? To be more precise, what are the tso dak and their role in Vajrayana buddhism?

Thanks
The answer to your first question is no.

Tshogs bdag is Tibetan for Ganapati.

Ganapati is a mundane protector in Tibetan Buddhism. For example, in the Red Ganapati practice transmitted in Sakya, oneself in the form of Vajrapani commands Ganapati to perform one's wishes.
Destiny

Post by Destiny »

Is there a similar sadhana in other lineages (ex. Shangpa) where one takes the form of Gonkar/White Mahakala while commanding Ganapati?
I'm asking this questions because of a dream i had last night.
If they are exactly the same thing, why in the sadhana of Gonkar there are 2 (two) Tso Daks under the feet of Gonkar? In the sadhana I have, these Tso Daks are also called "Lords of Demons".

I'm also interested to know if we can consider these Ganapatis part of Gonkar's wordly entourage. In that case the torma would be offered to them, also.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ganesh is also popular within Theravada Buddhism in Thailand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha_in ... heast_Asia is a starting point if you're curious.

:coffee:
Kim
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Destiny wrote:Is there a similar sadhana in other lineages (ex. Shangpa) where one takes the form of Gonkar/White Mahakala while commanding Ganapati?
I'm asking this questions because of a dream i had last night.
If they are exactly the same thing, why in the sadhana of Gonkar there are 2 (two) Tso Daks under the feet of Gonkar? In the sadhana I have, these Tso Daks are also called "Lords of Demons".

I'm also interested to know if we can consider these Ganapatis part of Gonkar's wordly entourage. In that case the torma would be offered to them, also.
As for your first question, as far as I know, no.

Tshogs = gana
bdag = pati.

In general, in the White Mahākala sadhana of Shangpa there is only one Ganapati.

Lords of Demons is an alternate name for Ganesh/Ganapati i.e. Vinayaka.

No need to offer torma to Ganapati in White Mahakāla sadhana.

M
Destiny

Post by Destiny »

In general, in the White Mahākala sadhana of Shangpa there is only one Ganapati.
In the sadhana I have there are two Tso Daks. Also in the pictures one can find online one usually sees two Tso Daks. That's why I was confused and thought that Tso Dak was not exactly Ganesh, but something like a class of beings linked to him.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Destiny wrote:
In the sadhana I have there are two Tso Daks. Also in the pictures one can find online one usually sees two Tso Daks. That's why I was confused and thought that Tso Dak was not exactly Ganesh, but something like a class of beings linked to him.

In the sadhana I have practiced on and off for the past 25 years there is only one. There must be a slight difference in lineage. I received through the Sakyapa school where it is a major wealth practice.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”