Where do I go? Any suggestions?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Distorted

Where do I go? Any suggestions?

Post by Distorted »

Hello, I am interested in the middle way. I have thought this through for many years. I am going to be forthright with a dilemma I been having.

I have read books and viewed documentaries of Buddhism from India to Japan. I have met a few people at school whom were from Tibet exiled to India and they had shared good input to help me in my understanding. I have an old friend that grew up in Shin Buddhism and another in Zen...both had some explanations of lessons they have learned. I also have a friend whom has a life greatly improved through Dharma Punx. I have read on the internet about the variations of Buddhism. With that so far I still know nothing and have no idea where I should go.

What I do know is I feel as if I need to learn how to not keep my strings tightened too tight or too loose. I know I can not do this alone anymore with lack of direction and knowledge if I want to progress. Maybe if I lived in a cave and read books the whole time maybe it would be possible? Though I do not plan to do that. I am not looking to be saved but I would like to help myself learn how to change for a better quality of life. I am positive from what I have read that this is the way for me. Does it matter where I go? Seems as it wouldn't matter as the goal is the same? Then again, I know nothing or I wouldn’t be so confused about all this.

Any suggestions what I should do next I am open and looking forward to suggestions. :buddha1:
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Konchog1

Re: Where do I go? Any suggestions?

Post by Konchog1 »

Hmm, I remember your dilemma. I can only suggest you do what I did. Explore http://www.accesstoinsight.org for Theravada and read How to Practice : The Way to a Meaningful Life for the Mahayana/Tibetan. If you like Mahayana more then explore Tibetan and Japanese Buddhism and then choose.

Don't worry to much. For the purpose of Enlightenment the different schools are like taste of salt or water pouring into water.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Distorted wrote:Any suggestions what I should do next I am open and looking forward to suggestions. :buddha1:
I'd reccommend reading "Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition" by Prof. Paul Williams. It'll give you the fundamentals of Buddhism, and it covers traditions ranging from Theravada to Mahayana to Vajrayana. Find one you connect to, and then members here will be able to assist in the direction you want to go.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried one place today and I just got back. It was nice inside, looked like a christian church setup but Buddhist. The people seem to be a close knit community and seemed to be friendly enough. I am going to follow the suggestions given to me here. I also will continue to go to different places as I am not sure I found what I am looking for just yet.

Isn't this kinda what the Buddha had done in some way? :buddha1:
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Distorted wrote:I know I can not do this alone anymore with lack of direction and knowledge if I want to progress.

Sounds like you need a teacher. Continue to explore traditions and communities, and at the same time, ask (pray) for the right teacher for you to reveal her/himself to you.

Distorted wrote:I am positive from what I have read that this is the way for me. Does it matter where I go? Seems as it wouldn't matter as the goal is the same?
Different paths, different teachers for different types of people. . . so in some sense it does matter. When you find the right fit, you will be able to make quick progress.

May you have quick, unmistakable success in finding the perfect path. :cheers:
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Thank you for your suggestions/help dakini_boy. Thank you all for the support/gudiance.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”