Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:23 pm
Posts: 2
Hi
I hope someone can asnwer this question.

It is said that after one attains the illusory or rainbow body, that a person becomes deathless because the mind never seperates from the body anymore.
But because of the bodhsittva vow one has to stay in samsara either in the higher realms or comes back to this world again.

Does an enlightened master has to take rebirth in the higher god realms or in the human realms to fullfill his vows or can he be everywhere there without rebirth by staying simply in his illusory body ?

And if he takes rebirth in the human realm or deva realm, what happens to the illusory body, does he loses it and has to attain it again in the next life?

Thanks in advance for your answers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:50 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Illusory body is not the same thing as rainbow body. The first is method and the second is a result of the practice of Dzogchen. People who attain rainbow body don't take rebirth anymore. They continue to benefit beings as they are, for example Guru Rinpoche and Vimalamitra.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:40 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Yeah but in Nyingma we have all these tulkus like
Anam Thubten whose prior incarnations took rainbow-body..
I suppose either they are considered purely emanations not rebirths?
Any thoughts?

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
At that level of accomplishment I'd think one would
be far beyond "making sense" :smile:

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
heart wrote:
I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus



Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Namdrol wrote:
heart wrote:
I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus



Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?


Since he was Chetsun Senge Wangchuk in an earlier life?

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
heart wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
heart wrote:
I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus



Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?


Since he was Chetsun Senge Wangchuk in an earlier life?

/magnus



indeed.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lafayette, CO
As far as I understand, if one achieves Rainbow Body, one can have limitless manifestations throughout space and time. Therefore, there is no limit to the number of Nirmanakayas/Tulkus one can manifest in order to work for the welfare of all sentient beings. To think otherwise in terms of Rainbow Body is to fall into the extreme of nihilism.

_________________
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm
Posts: 2295
Adamantine wrote:
Yeah but in Nyingma we have all these tulkus like
Anam Thubten whose prior incarnations took rainbow-body..
I suppose either they are considered purely emanations not rebirths?
Any thoughts?


Are you referring to Anam Thubten of Richmond, CA? I'm curious, who is considered to be his previous incarnation?

_________________
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sunny California
Adamantine wrote:
My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.


This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.

_________________
My blog:
http://onsausalcreek.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Posts: 1302
Location: San Francisco, CA
A rainbow body can manifest in limitless ways.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm
Posts: 2295
Yudron wrote:
This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.

Thanks, you are correct. I found this:
http://www.ksbcenter.org/Pages/Tulku.htm

_________________
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm
Posts: 2295
Yudron wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.


This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.


I found references to Anam Wangchen in "A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master" by Dudjom Lingpa

http://books.google.com/books?id=9f_usAen69oC&q=anam

Is this who you are referring to?

_________________
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sunny California
dzogchungpa wrote:
Yudron wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.


This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.


I found references to Anam Wangchen in "A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master" by Dudjom Lingpa

http://books.google.com/books?id=9f_usAen69oC&q=anam

Is this who you are referring to?


Presumably. I think Anam Thubten's old bio, back when he was Tulku Thubten Rinpoche, referred to his prior incarnation as Anam Lama. But Wangchen--Great Power Anam--sounds good, too. You know, Dudjom RInpoche was an incarnation of Guru RInpoche, Yeshe Tsogyal, and Kheuchung Lotsawa--so these things happen.

_________________
My blog:
http://onsausalcreek.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:03 am
Posts: 933
In Thailand Ajaan Panya’s remains were cremated at Baan Taad Forest Monastery. "His funeral ceremony was the largest event ever held there—an estimated 50,000 people attended to pay their final respects, including over 4,000 monks. Something extraordinary occurred on the day of his cremation. The sky was clear and cloudless. Yet, on 3 separate occasions, a circular rainbow appeared in the clear blue sky, each time encircling the sun like a large, luminous halo. The rainbow first appeared as his casket was being placed on the funeral pyre; it appeared again later when his life story was being read aloud; and yet a third time when Ajaan Mahā Boowa lit the funeral pyre. It was as though the power of his spiritual attainment had created an external, visual image to reflect the depth and subtly of his virtue for all to see"
A miraculous event also took place when Ramana Maharshi passed. At that moment a shooting star, vividly luminous moved slowly across the sky. This was witnessed by many thousands of people in various parts of India.
It appears that when an enlightened being passes there can be unusual, even extraordinary phenomena that manifests for all to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 am
Posts: 216
Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:
I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus



Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?


When it's emanation.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], heart, quince, zengammon and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group