Dr. Reginald Ray

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: The Crystal and the Way of Light - Blog Post by Namdrol

Postby daelm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 am

Chaz wrote:Looking at his history, Ray's path seemed to be heading towards some serious empowerments and responsibilites. I'm not sure what the Sakyong was thinking when he wouldn't work with Ray's request for empowerment to give pointing-out instructions and so on. But, if Ray couldn't get the Sakyong's blessing, why didn't he just go to the Karmapa ...... either of them? What's really facinating is that Ray literally struck out on his own. Oddly enough he hasn't gotten the condemnation you might expect.

thread's too long for me to read it all - at work, especially - so if i repeat something someone already said, please excuse me.

i think there's either a chronicle project or Buddhist Geeks interview with Reggie Ray where the issue is made clearer. it's not merely that he wanted to give lineage empowerments, but that at least one of the empowerments he wanted to give (or in fact was giving?) related to a protector practice he had discovered himself. it's a long time ago that i heard it, but it centered on an experience he had in a retreat, a protector that he says revealed itself to him - a new protector, that is - and the practice that grew up around that. if anyone wants to dig around on the podcasts, you can hear it yourself. from his own mouth, so no hearsay.

without having any opinion on the goodness or badness of claim, or on the goodness or badness of Reggie Ray, it's obvious to me that claims like like that are much more likely to have precipitated a parting of ways than anything else and that would have been the case in any tradition.

d
daelm

Re: Dr. Reginald Ray

Postby Jikan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm bumping this old thread to propose a novel approach to it.

Dr. Ray's org, Dharma Ocean, is offering a study program that has an at-home component to it. If someone's intention is to understand correctly what Ray is up to, it could be worthwhile to simply take the course and find out. Here is the link:

http://www.dharmaocean.org/default/inde ... study-2012
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 pm

At minimum, you are looking at dishing out $350, to purportedly " prepare to enter the Vajrayana as a student of Dr. Reginald Ray."

This is both a disingenuous and expensive method of research, if it is merely to check out what he is up to. I don't think it is a terrible thing to assume his own words during multiple interviews should be taken as a representation of his views, do you?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Adamantine wrote:I don't think it is a terrible thing to assume his own words during multiple interviews should be taken as a representation of his views, do you?

No, I'm not making that claim at all. I think people's words should be taken at face value, as you say. And I don't disagree that the cost is more than one might expect (I didn't look at the pricing when I posted the link; mea culpa for having assumed an at-home course would be otherwise).

What I'm trying to suggest is that the best archive of Dr Ray's positions on foundational Buddhist doctrines would be the materials he uses to teach his students.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Jikan wrote:What I'm trying to suggest is that the best archive of Dr Ray's positions on foundational Buddhist doctrines would be the materials he uses to teach his students.

Yeah I agree... however someone not already a loyal student would be hard pressed to take the time and money to gain access, that's all I was saying. I would be surprised, if Ray's position was other than he himself stated-- but if so and he was actually teaching rebirth to his current students than I'd be even more surprised if at least one of them didn't post on this thread saying such and defending his transmission of authentic Dharma. One could assume this would have happened already if it were going to, given how long ago the thread began... but who knows, maybe it could still happen.... :shrug:
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Yesterday I sent a quick email to the Dharma Ocean people expressing an interest in the course. I received a friendly reply, although I think there may have been a little miscommunication on the way. Here's what I learned for sure:

The Sutrayana course reading includes the writings of Trungpa Rinpoche and Reggie Ray. I didn't follow up on this, because I may be taking the term "sutrayana" the wrong way, but... might a sutrayana course benefit from reading some sutras and shastras as well as the writings of contemporary teachers?

There is some scholarship money available for the course but it's not clear to me who qualifies for this except it's not for monastics: this is explicitly a householder sangha.

Not sure where that leaves us.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby broadcoveroad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi all. I just browsed this discussion on Reggie Ray. I've done some retreats with him including the previously mentioned sutrayana seminary.
I've also studied within the Shambhala tradition as well as with a few other Tibetan teachers. I find Reggie's teaching and personal example to
be very powerful and direct. I would recommend that if anyone is interested in his teaching that they read his latest book 'Touching Enlightenment'
or go to the Dharma Ocean website and listen to a few of the talks and do a few of the guided meditations listed under 'audio'. As the Buddha suggested,
don't believe blindly, but try it out and judge for yourself.
broadcoveroad

Postby Adamantine » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm

broadcoveroad wrote:Hi all. I just browsed this discussion on Reggie Ray. I've done some retreats with him including the previously mentioned sutrayana seminary.
I've also studied within the Shambhala tradition as well as with a few other Tibetan teachers. I find Reggie's teaching and personal example to
be very powerful and direct. I would recommend that if anyone is interested in his teaching that they read his latest book 'Touching Enlightenment'
or go to the Dharma Ocean website and listen to a few of the talks and do a few of the guided meditations listed under 'audio'. As the Buddha suggested,
don't believe blindly, but try it out and judge for yourself.

Well since you have first hand experience would you mind
filling us in with more detail about Reggie's stance on rebirth and how
that can be compatible with Vajrayana, which includes practices on bardo, etc.?
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Open Dharma