A suprising third leading cause of death in the USA!

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

A suprising third leading cause of death in the USA!

Postby Ervin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:00 pm

The following shows how medical care is the third leading cause of death in the so called most advanced nation on the earth:

http://chriskresser.com/medical-care-is ... -in-the-us

I invite you to read my story about how I have been healed from what was suposed to be an
Illness for life. It's in the personal experiences section under the name thread.

" Is it possible to be a Budhist and believe in God at the same time?"

My face book link is the following:

http://m.facebook.com/?refsrc=http%3A%2 ... p?__user=0

If any of you want to be Facebook friends, then welcome!

Thanks
Ervin

Re: A suprising third leading cause of death in the USA!

Postby justsit » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm

The statistics reported in the article you cited are extremely suspect. I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to collect the data supporting them.
justsit

Postby Ervin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

[quote="justsit"]The statistics reported in the article you cited are extremely suspect. I would be curious to find out what criteria were used to collect the data supporting them.[/quo
te]

Peace Jutsit and everyone else. I supper that then we all have some homework to do.

And happy new year jutsit and everyone else!

Thanks
Ervin

Postby Nemo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Written by an acupuncturist who refuses to actually do acupuncture and TCM and charges 200$ an hour for quoting Western Doctors research in a chat on the telephone. Even if he is right he doesn't have much credibility. His site looks like a decent piece of alternative medicine journalism, but his credentials and background for his theories on medical treatment are non existent.

Why not just go to lef.org . They have real doctors and molecular biologists on staff.
Nemo

Postby Ervin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Nemo wrote:Written by an acupuncturist who refuses to actually do acupuncture and TCM and charges 200$ an hour for quoting Western Doctors research in a chat on the telephone. Even if he is right he doesn't have much credibilit

y. His site looks like a decent piece of alternative medicine journalism, but his credentials and background for his theories on medical treatment are non existent.

Why not just go to lef.org . They have real doctors and molecular biologists on staff.

Peace. Well can you get us the true statistics please?

Thanks
Ervin

Postby justsit » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:04 pm

What difference does it make, really? We are all going to die, whether from disease, accident, malpractice, crime, whatever.
Digging into statistics and rankings is useless and a waste of time.

Death is certain.
The time of death is uncertain.
What's the most important thing?
justsit

Postby Ervin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

justsit wrote:What difference does it make, really? We are all going to die, whether from disease, accident, malpractice, crime, whatever.

Death is certain.
The time of death is uncertain.
What's the most important thing?

But isn't it a good deed to try and prevent unnecessary cause of suffering and death. Isn't doing good and meditation without ataching your self to either one of them a way to nirvana according to Bhudism?

Should we not always strive to do good and never get sick of it. In my personal philosophy it is, again I believe without attachment. Without feeding your ego. Wich means doing right deeds for right reasons.

Like I admit now that someone has pointed out that its not quite clear(these statistics), that it could be the truth and I would invite everyone to find out what is the truth on subject.

Thanks
Ervin

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Not speaking of the theistic things....oh my!!!

But as to the other I hear this versed also often. To rebut this in a spiritual context is this statement from Mahamudra by Namgyal.....

pg.347...
"Nowadays the turning of one's ailments into a meditative absorption continues to be a characteristic practice of meditators. Since this human body as the invaluable support for seeking enlightenment cannot possibly be left to the fate of the live-or die- attitude of ignorant ones, meditators must rely upon the conventional healing methods and relevant practices for curing their aliments." .

It is clear we must pay attention to our health or we be the ignornant ones.
To much conern is also not conducive to practice. WE must balance.
Last edited by ronnewmexico on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Nemo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Part of his stats come from a JAMA article from 2000. A bit out of date. Iatrogenic illness is common but often unavoidable by the late stage that people seek care. Western medicine is curative and palliative, not preventive. Once you throw multiple preexisting conditions into the mix statistics are useless.
Nemo

Postby kirtu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 pm

justsit wrote:What difference does it make, really? We are all going to die, whether from disease, accident, malpractice, crime, whatever.

No it's not because we can improve health care over time. Perhaps not in the US because it has totally embraced anti-science and anti-mathematics and is perhaps the leading 2nd world nation but in real 1st world nations we can improve things for real.

Of course life and all relative phenomena is still impermanent.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Nemo wrote:Once you throw multiple preexisting conditions into the mix statistics are useless.

That complicates but does not negate the utility of analysis.

Kirt

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

England I believe does financially incentiveize their physicians in their public health care program for improved health result, healthier patients.

America is probably a bit singular in the regard of nations with comprehensive health care.... of only treating existant illness there being no financial incentive to do other. If only americans knew such things were possible...well now a few do perhaps.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby kirtu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Ervin wrote:The following shows how medical care is the third leading cause of death in the so called most advanced nation on the earth:...

There have been numerous studies along these lines. None of them bode well for the US. Even prior to the fall of Communism the US was well on it's way to replicating the mistakes of Soviet Russia with a bifurcated civilian/military economy. This was solidified after 9/11.

US health care is trash. Period. US medical technology is (or was until recently) superlative but access to health care is rationed on the basis of money. Additionally analysis across the board has suffered tremendously because Americans are simply lazy thinkers who prefer simplistic lines of thinking. This is a cultural thing and is a definite long term undercurrent in American culture. In the past this has been mitigated by an intellectual elite (which outside of engineering, science, mathematics and medicine wasn't really that elite). Now pragmatism has the culture by the throat people are running amok with satisfycing without thinking very much about underlying factors. As part of the current view of pragmatism resource allocation (economics) has been placed in the drivers seat.

Americans need to move back to solving problems to improve their and other's lives. This is the American myth of Yankee ingenuity but this myth has a significant basis in fact.

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 pm

In a societal sense this is why governments must manage health care...it is a monopoly of sorts.

If left to private enterprise prevention has nothing to advocate for it.
Suchly we have health care costs in the US eating up 1/7th of GDP on a annual basis.
And this is thusly the singular most important factor rendering american industry noncompetitive.

So bare competition in the interest of freedom....in the end brings the house of cards down.
How sad. :crying: and so many hurt as result of ideology.
ronnewmexico

Postby justsit » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:34 pm

kirtu wrote:

No it's not because we can improve health care over time. Perhaps not in the US because it has totally embraced anti-science and anti-mathematics and is perhaps the leading 2nd world nation but in real 1st world nations we can improve things for real.

Of course life and all relative phenomena is still impermanent.

Kirt

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What I meant to emphasize was that whether heart disease or cancer or whatever is Number One vs. Number Two vs. Number Three killer isn't particularly important. Every disease or disorder, including medical error,
has negative results that impact health and can hasten death, and should be addressed thoroughly. In that respect, spending one's time poring over questionable statistics wondering, is this number one or is this number two?, is an ineffective use of resources, IMO. That's all I intended to comment upon; I certainly never meant to imply one shouldn't care for one's body.
Sorry for any confusion.
:anjali:
justsit

Postby Nemo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm

:offtopic:
Creepy health science news;
Mice can live twice as long when injected with stem cells from young healthy mice. It will be quite a metaphor when evil investment brokers start sucking the blood of the young to extend their lives.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201201 ... ls-120103/

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v3 ... affil-auth
Nemo

Postby Jikan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Nemo wrote::offtopic:
Creepy health science news;
Mice can live twice as long when injected with stem cells from young healthy mice. It will be quite a metaphor when evil investment brokers start sucking the blood of the young to extend their lives.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201201 ... ls-120103/

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v3 ... affil-auth

Funny, it came out differently on Fox News this morning:

It will be quite an act of God's Will when great patriotic job creators put violent, unemployable and oversexed juveniles to productive work, for Freedom

:offtopic:
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events