Blavatsky on Buddhism in America

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Blavatsky on Buddhism in America

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Jikan wrote:Will: I'm interested in talking about the reality, as you say, of these masters. Specifically: how was that reality produced? Where did it come from, how did it arise, by what causes & conditions, and so on?

It seems to me you can't get to that "reality" without taking its as evidence, which is to say, the philosophy and the material objects that embody that philosophy, as an archive. You can't really separate them. And it's not clear there's a use in separating them, either. What is the point of testifying to the reality of this or that ascended master if not to also testify to the reality of that master's attainment as evidenced by the doctrines produced by Morya et al?
My you take the complex route! All I meant is that Blavatsky knew flesh & blood sages, not non-physical "ascended masters". The latter term is used by new-age channelers & mediums.

If you wish to pigeon-hole the doctrines & philosophy of the members of the Brotherhood known to Blavatsky, good luck. After 40 years of study, all I can say is their paths, doctrines etc. were varied. Blavatsky mentioned that the one branch of the Brotherhood she knew was made up of 2/3 of Shankara Vedantists & Buddhists, the other 1/3 ???
They are united by a wish & the power to assist the spiritual growth of humanity.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Will wrote:
Jikan wrote: If you wish to pigeon-hole the doctrines & philosophy of the members of the Brotherhood known to Blavatsky, good luck. After 40 years of study, all I can say is their paths, doctrines etc. were varied. Blavatsky mentioned that the one branch of the Brotherhood she knew was made up of 2/3 of Shankara Vedantists & Buddhists, the other 1/3 ???
They are united by a wish & the power to assist the spiritual growth of humanity.

Tashi delek,

What is the purpose of mixing up Buddhists and Vedantists ? To make of them theosophists ?
That would mean that there is something missing in those 2 mentioned world religions / philosophie(s).

So what would be the advantage of a mix which ends in theosophy?

- Buddhism is in no way a religion or theosophy.

I see here very clear that Buddhism is not waiting for " a wish & the power to assist the spiritual growth of humanity " in the guise of theosophy lead by a lady with self taken " freedoms ".

This great wish is lead by an ego trip and not so the need for something better or improvement, regarding Buddhism.

Also her black magic statement for Bon, shows us the stupidity of M.B. here she is wrong and so she represents many home made statements done with the helping hand of the "white" brotherhood.

But yes the Mahamatma philosophy that does show us the non-Buddhist side of town, because Buddhism is mainly mind investigation and to get rid off illusions like the attachment to matter.

So anyway anyhow M.B. is not for everybody, who is serious engaged in Buddhism, i guess so.
But sure on all rules there are exceptions like some of the defenders of M.B. here aboard.

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

I for one am very disappointed that Ancient Egyptian Aliens and Gnostic Reptilian Druids are not mentioned so far in this topic.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Hi Kalden Yungdrung

H.P. Blavatsky must have not been aware of the existence of Yungdrung Bon (at least not as it is openly explained now), and I'm sure that if H.P. Blavatsky had been shown her mistake about the Bons overall, she would have recognized that she was mistaken.

Hi Norwegian

Here you go:

Samael Aun Weor wrote:The Druids of the Celtic-Brittany regions also called themselves Serpents. "I am a Serpent, I am a Druid," they exclaimed.

The Egyptian Karnak is the twin of the British Carnac, which means The Mount of the Serpent.
Godfrey Higgins wrote: …In my Essay on The Celtic Druids, I have shewn, that a great nation called Celtæ, of whom the Druids were the priests, spread themselves almost over the whole earth, and are to be traced in their rude gigantic monuments from India to the extremities of Britain. Who these can have been but the early individuals of the black nation of whom we have been treating I know not, and in this opinion I am not singular. The learned Maurice says, "Cuthites, i. e. Celts, built the great temples in India and Britain, and excavated the caves of the former."*

And the learned Mathematician, Reuben Burrow, has no hesitation in pronouncing Stonehenge to be a temple of the black, curly-headed Buddha.
The Brahmins got their cosmogony, arts, culture and science from the famous Naga-Mayans, later called Danavas.

The Nagas and the Brahmins used the sacred symbol of the feathered serpent, an irrefutable Mexican or Mayan symbol.

The Upanishads contain a treatise on the science of the serpents, or, in other words, the science of occult knowledge.

The Nagas (serpents) of esoteric Buddhism, are perfect, authentic and self realized men, by virtue of their occult knowledge and they are the protectors of Buddha’s Law, because they correctly interpret his metaphysical doctrines.

The crown, in the shape of an asp — the Thermuthis — belongs to Isis, our individual inner Divine Mother Kundalini (we all have our own). Kundalini, the Igneous Serpent of our magical powers, coiled in the coccygeal magnetic center (base of the spinal column), flashes likes a lightning bolt.

The great Kabir Jesus of Nazareth would never have advised his disciples to be as wise as the serpent if it had been the symbol of evil. Neither would have the Ophites, the Egyptian Gnostic sages of the fraternity of the Serpent, adored a living snake in their liturgy as the symbol of divine Sophia (wisdom), If the reptile had been related to the powers of evil.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

You forgot about the aliens. Definitely need aliens.

Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Of course.

Although the term "aliens" is derogatory, so better to refer to them as Extraterrestrials.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Of course.

Although the term "aliens" is derogatory, so better to refer to them as Extraterrestrials.

Right, if you call them aliens they will be subject to deportation.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Exactly.

We all have an idea of what would happen if Extraterrestrials tried to introduce themselves to this humanity, that is this humanity in its current barbaric and bigoted condition.

The many Hollywood movies about "aliens" reflect humanity's current view of Extraterrestrials; and if not, these movies are at least conditioning people to see Extraterrrestrials as "aliens".
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Will wrote: My you take the complex route! All I meant is that Blavatsky knew flesh & blood sages, ...

If you wish to pigeon-hole the doctrines & philosophy of the members of the Brotherhood known to Blavatsky, good luck. After 40 years of study, all I can say is their paths, doctrines etc. were varied. Blavatsky mentioned that the one branch of the Brotherhood she knew was made up of 2/3 of Shankara Vedantists & Buddhists, the other 1/3 ???
So you're saying there is a there there afterall?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

kirtu wrote:
Will wrote: My you take the complex route! All I meant is that Blavatsky knew flesh & blood sages, ...

Kirt
You are too clever by half Kirt - I do not follow this "there there" witticism.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Will wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
You are too clever by half Kirt - I do not follow this "there there" witticism.
It's from a famous statement by Gertrude Stein or her life-companion Alice Toklas who commented that there is no there in Los Angeles (there is no there there). Los Angeles is a series of different towns and cities (Anaheim, Hollywood, etc.) and is more a label we slap on to that geographic urban region than a city as defined in most other places.

So you are saying that Blatavsky had something concrete to report about and that it wasn't essentially all made up?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Kirt: So you are saying that Blatavsky had something concrete to report about and that it wasn't essentially all made up?
Correct; Blavatsky and the other people that met the same sages she did.

PS. LA is a city with definite boundaries, within which lies the neighborhood of Hollywood, but not Anaheim, it is in Orange County.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Will wrote: PS. LA is a city with definite boundaries, within which lies the neighborhood of Hollywood, but not Anaheim, it is in Orange County.
phpBB [video]

:lol:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Exactly.

We all have an idea of what would happen if Extraterrestrials tried to introduce themselves to this humanity, that is this humanity in its current barbaric and bigoted condition.
Yeah, they'd exterminate us. But I doubt it would have much to do with our "barbarism".
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Pero wrote:Yeah, they'd exterminate us.
So why do you agree with the movie industry about that?

If Extraterrestrials wanted to do that, they probably would have done it a long time ago.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lhug-Pa wrote:
Pero wrote:Yeah, they'd exterminate us.
So why do you agree with the movie industry about that?
Nothing to do with the movie industry. It's just that if they're anything like us that's the most likely outcome.

If Extraterrestrials wanted to do that, they probably would have done it a long time ago.
Perhaps they're waiting for their entire fleet to arrive. :shrug: :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Haha

Well as I'm sure you've heard in the Dzogchen teachings, that Dzogchen is taught on other planets as well.

And from what I've learned, the people of Earth are quite a bit more messed up than those of the average planet.

Us: :crazy:

Them: :buddha1:

Plus I think that in order to have that kind of technology to reach other Solar systems, beings would have to be a lot more enlightened than us in order to go beyond the weak technology that we have now, the latter of which we destroy ourselves with and that can barely make it to Mars (next door) or the Moon (a dead planet orbiting our planet).
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Haha

Well as I'm sure you've heard in the Dzogchen teachings, that Dzogchen is taught on other planets as well.
Yes but I don't get what that has to do with anything?
And from what I've learned, the people of Earth are quite a bit more messed up than those of the average planet.
I wouldn't know, haven't been that far abroad yet hehe.
Plus I think that in order to have that kind of technology to reach other Solar systems, beings would have to be a lot more enlightened than us in order to go beyond the weak technology that we have now, the latter of which we destroy ourselves with and that can barely make it to Mars (next door) or the Moon (a dead planet orbiting our planet).
Enlightenment has absolutely nothing to do with technology.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Well we don't have have to have technology to be enlightened, but we would have to be enlightenend in order to have advanced technology that's worthwhile.

So enlightenment doesn't depend on complicated or even good technology (complicated and good are of course not the same thing, and are even opposites in many cases; and some of the most enlightened beings might live in caves without any technology at all), yet good worthwhile advanced technology depends on enlightenment.

We obviously don't have good technology, because we destroys ourselves and this planet with it; and as things currently stand, we would probably destroy ourselves before reaching the capacity to have worthwhile technology that doesn't destroy us and that could reach other Solar systems.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Well we don't have to be enlightened to have complicated technology, but in order to have worthwhile advanced technology we would have to be enlightened.

So enlightenment doesn't depend on complicated or even good technology (complicated and good are of course not the same thing, and are even opposites in many cases; and some of the most enlightened beings might live in caves without any technology at all), yet good worthwhile technology depends on enlightenment.

We obviously don't have good technology, because we destroys ourselves and this planet with it; and would probably destroy ourselves before reaching the capacity to have worthwhile technology that doesn't destroy us and that could reach other Solar systems.
Sorry, I don't buy it. If you're enlightened you don't need any technology. IMO technology develops more because of lack of enlightenment than the opposite.
- Shabkar

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”